801 auto batteries -- unwanted activation, ever?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikea

ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2009
Seattle
I did a couple of searches within this forum and didn't get any 'hits' -- beg pardon if there's such a thread already and I just missed it.

From time to time I hear about unwanted activation of automatic batteries due to excessive sound or vibration. (There must be posts somewhere in the forums explaining this, though being new here I haven't run across them yet. Do automatic batteries' switches rely on the sound of air moving through the switch to ignite the atomizer?)

In any case, I'm on the verge of a long plane flight and I have been debating furiously with myself whether to take the 510 or the 801 (not that I plan to use the 801 during the flight). Once at our destination we might be taking some long car trips. The gratifyingly long battery life and gratifyingly long "flavor retention" of the 801 cartridges make this model an attractive candidate. But...

I have only auto batteries for the 801. If there's any possibility of unwanted battery activation due to noise problems on the plane (jet cabins being hardly the quietest possible environments), I'd best abandon the idea and just go with the 510. Any advice on this much appreciated...

breakfastchef

Moved On
Feb 12, 2009
There is a newer style of battery that folks are referring to as 'micrphonic'. Hideous devices. I experienced my first one a month or so ago when I received a BE112 starter kit from Best ECig. I opened the box to flashing blue lights on the batteries. The switch in the battery looks like a tiny microphone, not a suction activated switch we are familiar with. It will fire by sound or vibration. Just flicking them will turn them on.

If you have any of these batteries, simply keep the atomizer disconnected during transit or when you are not using it. If you do not have these types of batteries, don't worry about it.

mikea

ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2009
Seattle
There is a newer style of battery that folks are referring to as 'micrphonic'. Hideous devices.
I experienced my first one a month or so ago when I received a BE112 starter kit from Best ECig. I opened the box to flashing blue lights on the batteries. The switch in the battery looks like a tiny microphone, not a suction activated switch we are familiar with. It will fire by sound or vibration. Just flicking them will turn them on.
That sounds hideous, all right. I don't think I've ever looked for the switch in these 801 batteries I have. It must be tiny. Even with my reading glasses, I don't know if I'd be able to see it. Can you actually see the suction-activated switches?

If you have any of these batteries, simply keep the atomizer disconnected during transit or when you are not using it. If you do not have these types of batteries, don't worry about it.
I certainly hope I don't. Within the last week and a half or so I got a couple more 801 batteries -- these are chromed, unlike the gloss-black ones I got with the 801 kits I ordered. I'll look for that microphone-like thing. Whether or not I'll be able to see the switch, I suppose it will be easy enough to tell if it's the undesirable battery. I'll just yell at it to see if it reacts. :)

With the atomizer detached, at least you wouldn't have a problem with unwanted ignition -- but you would still have a problem with unwanted activation possibly reducing battery life, yes?

Any possibility of over-long (unwanted) activation, leading to battery overheating? (Methinks that'd be way undesirable on a plane. They might well ask you to disembark immediately with all your possessions...in mid-flight...)

Thanks.

mikea

ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2009
Seattle
This can be a problem, noise activation. There's a "switch" in the circuitry, nothing you can see. However, just give your atty a 1/2 twist, just enough to disconnect it when not in use. Should solve any activation problem.
At the least I'm planning to keep the two parts separate, with rubber sleeves over the threads to avoid any chance of unwanted shorting-out. That should definitely prevent any unwanted ignition...

Tom09

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2009
Germany
Your ‘microphone’ automatic batt might well activate from wind, rattling or intensive sound. However, this does not have a noticable effect on battery life, when disconnected from the atty. The effective consumer is the resistance heating coil in the atty - but the LED only consumes very little energy. A fresh battery would keep your LED constantly lightning for days and days and days. No way that an occasionally blinking LED would overheat your battery. No worries at all, when disconnected. Enjoy you flight and have a good holiday trip.

mikea

ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2009
Seattle
Ok. I'll turn the anxiety dial from '11' back to its usual '4'. :) Thanks.

Your ‘microphone’ automatic batt might well activate from wind, rattling or intensive sound. However, this does not have a noticable effect on battery life, when disconnected from the atty. The effective consumer is the resistance heating coil in the atty - but the LED only consumes very little energy. A fresh battery would keep your LED constantly lightning for days and days and days. No way that an occasionally blinking LED would overheat your battery. No worries at all, when disconnected. Enjoy you flight and have a good holiday trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread