801 Connector

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicowolf

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 9, 2008
near Akron, OH, USA
In my search for a connector for the Joye 510, I came across this. I was basically taking apart all the threaded connections in my apartment, testing the threads against my 3 models of PV, then putting them back together.

I came across the car adapter for the DSE chargers - that cord that hooks up your DSE charger to your car cigarette lighter.

Here is the end I am concerned with

801connector002.jpg

If you unscrew that metal ring behind the tip, you get this

801connector004.jpg

Now that little tip will come out and you'll have this

801connector011.jpg

The larger of those two parts fits the 801 thread nicely and should make a good negative connection. The smaller of the two parts could be a positive center pin with a little imagination and insulation. I did a quick test by wrapping that smaller piece in a piece of crafting foam I got at Walmart for less than a dollar, then wedging the wrapped part into the outer part. Here is what it looked like afterwards. That brown that you see is the foam I used.

801connector014.jpg

801connector013.jpg

801connector012.jpg

At this point I tested it with my multimeter and got no continuity between the two parts.

Here is a picture of it attached to my 801 atomizer. Sorry, I took these pics before I wrapped that little pin in foam to hold it up inside where you wouldn't be able to see it. You can see that it leaves a little more space to work with than the part salvaged from a dead battery.

801connector006.jpg

801connector005.jpg

I would suggest though, soldering the positive wire on before insulating the two parts from one another. Once you have it insulated, that center pin would be pretty hard to get at with a soldering iron. I think that epoxy or silicone glue might work as insulators also, but haven't tried them.

It will be a while before I get around to making a mod with this, if I ever do - 801 is not a favorite for me - so please feel free to use this info, make some mods, post some pics for us, whatever. I just wanted to share the info right away.

Another couple tidbits of info, semi-related:

There are other car chargers out there with a metal connector thing like this. I don't own one, so I don't know if they will work or not but it might be worth a shot.

These adapters are for sale for $2 each at Ruyandirect and they also have good prices on other PV stuff that might make it worth the wait to get the savings.

Sun Vaporer

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Florida
The 1/4" phone jack is much easier solution that is available locally to pretty much everyone. I tried to find the thread for that a few times with no luck. It should be stickied since its a perfect connect for 801's.

Hi Nuck--glad to see you zeroing in on the 801. Problem with the 1/4" phone jack is that with some of the "801" styles, such as the RN4072 --there is a bit of a connection issue that we have run afoul with. I think it is the quality control of the atomizers as the 1/4" is a perfect fit and the 1/4" jack is surely nothing to be dismissed. If you do employ one, we have found that not every atomizer is going to fire on it. But that again is an issue too with the original battery threadings also!!! ----------Sun

Kewtsquirrel

ECF Veteran
May 21, 2009
DFW, TX
moddersupply.com
Hi Nuck--glad to see you zeroing in on the 801. Problem with the 1/4" phone jack is that with some of the "801" styles, such as the RN4072 --there is a bit of a connection issue that we have run afoul with. I think it is the quality control of the atomizers as the 1/4" is a perfect fit and the 1/4" jack is surely nothing to be dismissed. If you do employ one, we have found that not every atomizer is going to fire on it. But that again is an issue too with the original battery threadings also!!! ----------Sun

I can't speak on the 801 connector, but I've found on 901s with the dc jack connector I need to dremel down the threads a bit to get some of my atomizers to work, logic says the same thing should work on the 801.

Worst case scenario, you got to dremel something, and thats always worth it.

Nuck

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2009
Ontario, Canada

I've got about 5 801 mods running and haven't run into a problem but I've only tried atomizers from 2 different sources. What is the issue, the center post or the threads?

bri1270

ECF Veteran
Feb 26, 2009
Massachusetts - USA
What is the issue, the center post or the threads?

Threads. I've built several out of the 1/4" jack from Ratshack, and if you don't position the center pin so the atomizer can screw down all the way, then it may have some play.

I've also found, that the best way to install the center pin for me, is to fill the connector with epoxy, then drill a hole in the center of the epoxy once it has fully cured, and add a counter sink, then insert the screw so it's both counter sunk and so the end protrudes for the positive connection. For the negative connection, I snip one of the originally intended negative tabs and solder it to the threaded body of the connector. I also remove all of the washers. This can be done with some small snips and a pair of needle nose pliers.

FRESH x913x

ECF Veteran
May 28, 2009
Canon city, CO
I can't speak on the 801 connector, but I've found on 901s with the dc jack connector I need to dremel down the threads a bit to get some of my atomizers to work, logic says the same thing should work on the 801.

Worst case scenario, you got to dremel something, and thats always worth it.

i solved this problem with the dc jack connector by putting a small ball of solder on the top of that pin in the middle. works pretty good and gets rid of the need to grind those threads down!

Nuck

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2009
Ontario, Canada
i solved this problem with the dc jack connector by putting a small ball of solder on the top of that pin in the middle. works pretty good and gets rid of the need to grind those threads down!

I've used that solution but it can be a bit dangerous. If the solder comes loose during atomizer adjustments you are pretty much guaranteed a short.

I use the phono jack with #10 brass thread and a 1/4" tube (both available cheap at home depot). By leaving the full thread available it seems to cover all atomizers without issue.

I got lucky and managed to find some jacks for 2 for a buck so total cost per connection was sitting around 0.60 total :)

DaMulta

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 18, 2009
T-Town Oklahoma
So I made my own connector, but it would of been easier just to order them.

I took a 1/4" phone jack from Radio Shack, and then took a RCA Jack, just the sides off. Screwed in a pen stile which fit like a charm. Then when the RCA jack hit the center I soldered on the negative leads to the wire, and then also to the ground on the side of the RCA jack.

Worked like a Charm!

invisiblewardog

ECF Veteran
Sep 23, 2009
Virginia, USA
There are other car chargers out there with a metal connector thing like this. I don't own one, so I don't know if they will work or not but it might be worth a shot.

I saw this thread before getting in my car so I tried the one for my GPS power cable...snug fit, and looking inside it appears that the middle does not touch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread