808 batteries seem weak all of a sudden

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eranda13

ECF Veteran
May 9, 2013
Bethlehem, PA
I have 5 of them total. I just got one replaced by V2 under warranty- and damn if the new one isn't a lot stronger than the older ones. The same clearos vape much better on the newer battery than the older ones. I tried cleaning the threads and contact of the old batteries and re-charging. I tried cleaning the threads on the clearos. I even tried cleaning the threads on the chargers. But so far- they are still weaker than the newest battery. I've been noticing this for the last 4-5 days and the new battery's arrival just confirmed that my batteries don't seem to charge fully anymore or something.

Anyone have any idea why this might be the case? Am I doing something wrong?

djtonyb

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 19, 2010
Big Pine Key
I struggled for 5 years with 808 batts and kept picking up smoking again due to frustration... I finally got an 808 Elite from CigEasy, and that kind of helped convince me to try something larger... got a TurboEZ from CigEasy after that, and it convinced me that the trade off in battery size was well worth it, and I didn't really care about having something cig sized anymore... so I upgraded to an iTaste MVP and a Tesla :laugh:... you may not want to go that extreme, but I do recommend considering an eGo Twist or a Spinner... it's not huge, and it gives you many more options for delivery devices.

RoseB

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 3, 2012
Washington
When you say old....how old? V2 charges quite a bit of cash for their 808 batteries. I am glad they replaced one for you. Are their batteries sealed? I've got a couple 808 batteries that aren't sealed. Got juice in them, and cleaned them out with compressed air. Let them sit for a few days. They work, but don't hold a charge well. Another thing to keep in mind is the fact they are small, and need to be charged more often. After a few hundred charges they're done.

RoseB

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 3, 2012
Washington
I struggled for 5 years with 808 batts and kept picking up smoking again due to frustration... I finally got an 808 Elite from CigEasy, and that kind of helped convince me to try something larger... got a TurboEZ from CigEasy after that, and it convinced me that the trade off in battery size was well worth it, and I didn't really care about having something cig sized anymore... so I upgraded to an iTaste MVP and a Tesla :laugh:... you may not want to go that extreme, but I do recommend considering an eGo Twist or a Spinner... it's not huge, and it gives you many more options for delivery devices.
5 years?! I will never complain about the three months I was using them ever again lol.

Eranda13

ECF Veteran
May 9, 2013
Bethlehem, PA
Well none of them are more than three months old. This is the second out of five that I've had to send back for replacement in 3 months. And I have another that flickers off and on during a drag. That one might have to get replaced, too.

I tend to top off charges because I really only like these batteries when the charge is full. After and hour or so I put them back on the charger. Could that be the problem- that I'm not letting them discharge all the way before charging again?

djtonyb- my twist should be here on Saturday and my iTaste VV should be here next week. I'm moving up anyway, but I want to figure out why these batteries seem to be dying after only 3 months...?

AgentAnia

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2013
Orbiting Sirius B
I've been using V2 batteries for 8 months now; currently have about 15 of them, some the regular length but most the XL. One of them seemed to give a weaker vape right out of the box. Some of the oldest ones now seem to give a weaker vape and don't last as long on a charge, so they may be nearing the end of their useful lives. Have not had occasion to test the V2 warranty, but as I understand it, as long as you've purchased either juice or batteries from the in the past 90 days, they will replace non-working or problematic batteries under their "lifetime" warrant. Best check with V2 customer service.

djtonyb

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 19, 2010
Big Pine Key
Well none of them are more than three months old. This is the second out of five that I've had to send back for replacement in 3 months. And I have another that flickers off and on during a drag. That one might have to get replaced, too.

I tend to top off charges because I really only like these batteries when the charge is full. After and hour or so I put them back on the charger. Could that be the problem- that I'm not letting them discharge all the way before charging again?

djtonyb- my twist should be here on Saturday and my iTaste VV should be here next week. I'm moving up anyway, but I want to figure out why these batteries seem to be dying after only 3 months...?

Good call on the twist and the iTaste! I don't think recharging often really affects battery life negatively. Lithium ions don't like to be deep cycled, and the general consensus is to *not* run them flat and recharge, but to charge frequently. Put them in a drawer and don't look back. Welcome to Variable Voltage!

Arnie H

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2013
Greensboro, NC, USA
www.bigtent.com

I am no battery expert, but such rapid degredation in battery life is odd, particularly if you have alot of batteries in rotation and all of them are less than 3 months old, unless you are a super heavy vaper.

Many people are satisfied with V2's products and services and never look at anything else, ever! Which is fine, whatever works for them. But spending time researching and shopping around, can not only save you mucho bux, but will also give you a better starting experience with vaping. I am sure you will be pleased with your new purchases.

I think the V2 standard batts are 250 mAh, the ones I have are 280 mAh, and the Smoov standard sized battery has the highest capacity i've seen at 320 mAh.

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Sitting down, facing forward.
I will chime in with a general comment regarding batteries. The ratings on batteries, especially the proprietary ones, may be just a "tad" on the optimistic side. I have taken a few apart and looking at the battery itself, outside the tube, I do wonder how they're getting the claimed output from them.

That said, I use 808s from SI, 78mm autos to be specific, which are also advertised as 250mah. I generally get about three months out of them before replacing them. Keep in mind I have six for daily rotation and usually end up charging five of them daily. I also have a couple of iTaste VV and a couple of Vamos as well. I like the iTatse but do wonder about the claimed 600mah capacity, that may be going downhill with a 30mph tail wind if you know what I mean. The batteries I use in the Vamo do meet their specs, from actual testing both under max load and "vaping" simulation load.

Bottom line, do we really believe that millions of 250mah batteries are being produced, carefully, paying attention to quality and meeting spec? I sure don't, but I live in Realville.

Arnie H

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2013
Greensboro, NC, USA
www.bigtent.com
Well I can't speak for the proprietary batteries, but the Kanger 808d 280 mAH batteries I purchased from EvC(igs) do seem to perform well and may indeed have the stated capacity. Never taken one apart though.

V2 has a very nice website though, very sleek. And I liked that they had a calculator to see how much you can save vs traditional cigarettes, even if all you buy (ever) is V2 stuff.

Last edited:

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
The Kanger batteries are proprietary in the sense they come from Kanger but I doubt, seriously, the Kanger actually manufactures them. Like most things from China, I strongly suspect all these batteries, from 100mah on up to 2000mah or larger, all come from, basically, the same factory or from the same bunch of "copy cat" factories. Quality goes out before the name goes on.

Eranda13

ECF Veteran
May 9, 2013
Bethlehem, PA
Wow, I guess I just would have expected them to last more than 3 months...? I will keep messing with them to see if it's something I'm doing that's causing the problem- but perhaps it's just the limited battery life. If so- that's a lot of money in a year for batteries @ $17 a pop.

So... this is why all you people love your mods with the replaceable batteries!?!?! Kinda sucks to throw out the whole thing just because the battery is shot!

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Buying batteries is a drag, but how much does a carton of cigarettes cost? Here in the "Great Garden State" it's about sixty bucks. At a pack and a half a day that only lasts about seven days. You can buy a whole lot of batteries and cartos or liquids and clearos or tanks for that and still have some change left.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread