901 Atomizers - New vs Old Design

Status
Not open for further replies.

miss MiA

ECF Veteran
Nov 12, 2009
Chicago, IL
Don't know if this'll make sense but it ain't that I haven't tried (3x :p) here to obtain a better understanding of what the 'old' vs. 'new' version's visible differences are.

Might it just be that the hole in the middle of the atty surface is larger now (perhaps making it appear even more like a washer)? I've read some other threads including older ones where a 'washer' in the 901 was referred to (only incidentally, not as the point) as if it's just a normal part of the design. I finally did manage to see a pic of a current 'washer-included' 901, and compared it to a few other SLBs I purchased months ago, and the only real diff I could see was that the center hole appeared to be slightly larger on the more recent one...

(Which I think I can now conclude are in fact the same ones I recently bought myself from HC. Btw, no questions or complaints on HC's subforum about them [have seen some post-order-receipt compliments in same time frame]... and many ppl buying there are doing so in bulk, so if dissatisfaction and a considerable performance diff were widely perceived I'd kinda expect to hear it there...)

Is it at all possible that the fear of 'washers' has just spread to the 901 from the original issue with some 510 atties bearing a design that's closer to a 901 (including in resistance), which some don't like; but that the washer-like design really is normal for 901s?

Last edited:

JDSupreme

ECF Veteran
Dec 20, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Here's the best pic I could get. I prefer the washer ones, even for dripping. They seem to have more airflow and clog up less than the other. I thought I got HV attys at first...
901s.jpg

miss MiA

ECF Veteran
Nov 12, 2009
Chicago, IL
Thanks JD! To be sure, which one is the 'washer' version in your pic? And regardless, is the 'washer' actually a new, additional, perforated disc; which is what "now has a washer" would seem to imply to me? Or do you think the washer/'washer look' might actually just be the 901's normal/usual construction, but with a different size center hole now? (And possibly also getting crossed with the 510's atty washer issue?)

Here's the pic I finally got of a 'with-washer' model, from a supplier. It does look like the ones I got from HC, from what I can tell. Is this what your with-washers look like too (still not trusting my eyes here lol)? Oh, glad to hear you do like them, thanks for posting! :D

Attachments

• 901atty w washer.jpg
    901atty w washer.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:

C2DR

Jan 11, 2010
NC, USA
I have two 901 atty's that came with my 901 kit. They both look more like the one on the right. After 5 months both atty's still work fine. There is some slight leakage every once in a while, but never had any flooding issues. I do find myself blowing them out about once a week (give or take) and occasionally set them wick-side down on a paper towel to (theoretically) drain any excess fluid.

I own two batteries and two atty's, so basically two 901's. I top off every morning and use them both all day, every day...recharging and topping off as necessary. I think the batteries are nearly ready to be replaced, but the atty's still seem to be doing quite well IMO.

I purchased from VaporKings, so whichever atty they sell...I like.

JDSupreme

ECF Veteran
Dec 20, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
The 1 on the right is the washer one. I got these both from litecigusa. The ones w/o the washer were the ones from a few months ago. The last batch I received were the washer ones. I love em. The one without the washer has a "ring" of atty bridge type mesh and the other just has the mesh poking through the washer. It also doesn't appear to be as wide of a bridge as the older ones. The washer ones seem to be made better, IMO

miss MiA

ECF Veteran
Nov 12, 2009
Chicago, IL
Gracias, and good to hear more pro-'washer' votes (especially if soon/eventually that's all that will be available anymore anyway!). Going by the 'old' one on the left in JD's pic, maybe I never have received any of those original kind. Even the SLBs I mentioned that I got from a diff source months ago look closer to the one on the right, and to the one in the pic I posted. Their center hole appears to be considerably smaller than that of the old style atty on left in JD's pic, and only a little smaller than it is in the latest ones. Maybe those are from some point when they were just starting to tweak the design or something (or who knows, maybe they could be knockoffs, tho they do say SLB).

Anyway, cool, guess I'm glad I got what I got now! :)

Haytoni

ECF Veteran
Jan 20, 2010
N.W. Florida
I thought this would be the appropriate area to debate this.

I have been using 901s since Sept. I have found that the new style atomizers - the ones with a plate surrounding the atomizer coil, and the whiskers sticking out of it - to be inferior to the old style - no plate, bare coil, no visible whiskers.

I have the problem that I must be getting liquid under the plates somehow, because if I leave an attie unused for a couple of days, it has a nasty rancid flavor that does not go away when I try to use it again. I also feel they die much sooner than the old style 901 atties did. I also find that the old style have a much smoother draw, while I am getting much less air through the new style.

What are your thoughts?

I just purchased the 901, and have the same problem, so I must have the new atty. Where can I purchase and older atty?

Haytoni

ECF Veteran
Jan 20, 2010
N.W. Florida
RE: My 901 with the att that has the washer, least it looks like the one on the right, I plugged up the side hole with a piece of scotch tape, just maybe I am getting an easier draw, I hope I am, right now my jaw is to sore to tell. I have the Screw Driver, the Tornado, 801, 808 and V4L cartomizers B112, which I don't like, and the 510, so as you see here I have some experience in the draw of a vaper. I am using the 901 now, with the bandage on it, seems to be a slight better, if you have any hints, please pass them on.
Oh how I love this site...............everyone is so helpful.
Thanks
Toni

miss MiA

ECF Veteran
Nov 12, 2009
Chicago, IL
Hi Toni, just wanted to say don't feel bad, this seems to be one thread that ppl hit at some time or another but don't actually subscribe to or something lol! There doesn't seem to be all that much traffic in this model-specific 901 subforum itself either.

Obviously with this 'new' 901 atty thing, some seem to like it, some don't. Another one of those bizarre-o aspects of vaping, how one person can like something a lot that another feels must be a defect. Myself, I stockpiled some 901s and they appear to be the 'washer' type (haven't opened all boxes to check), but I haven't used them yet so I'm hoping I'll be one of those who like them! :D

Anyway, good luck! :)

nicksdad

ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2009
Hi Toni, just wanted to say don't feel bad, this seems to be one thread that ppl hit at some time or another but don't actually subscribe to or something lol! There doesn't seem to be all that much traffic in this model-specific 901 subforum itself either.

Anyway, good luck! :)

Thats it .. sorry I dont subscribe to the thread... I do prefer the older ones
I havent taken any photos of the atty's I have... but the older ones seem to resemble the ones on the left in the photo...they worked much better for me
sorry I dont subcribe to any of the threads.
just pm if you have a question.
have a good one:)

Bellasin

ECF Veteran
Oct 16, 2009
Roscommon, MI
I am so upset, I hate those new 901 attys, they just plain suck, they heat up too fast, die off fast, cant be cleaned as easily and all juice tastes burnt at any power level after 3 hits. anyway, months ago I complained on here and someone PMd me saying order from China,bestecig.com still has the old style attys. No, not anymore. I just ordered from them a 2nd time, I was stunned when I paid all that money for the bad attys I can get here in the US.

So, is there anyplace to buy the old attys anymore or not? I will post this question where more people may see it too. But, bestecig no longer sells the old attys as far as I know.

Bellasin

ECF Veteran
Oct 16, 2009
Roscommon, MI
If you get an answer in the other post about where to get the old ones, please post it here. I'm interested.

Thanks ~ P

I get my regular 901 attys here Dse-901 Atomizer's . They're only $5.00 right now . They're genuine SLB high bridge (I guess that's what you mean by "old style") attys. I've never had a problem with them. Not even much primer to burn off.

That was what someone sent but clicking on the link the attys were over $5 and its saying they are brand new,whatever that means.

Princessdee

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 23, 2009
PA, USA
He's where I got all my pink batteries back before I used a mod. He's great to work with. Even special ordered me some juice and didn't charge me extra.

But yeah, not $5.

When I have time I'll ask him if they're new or old but only if I can find a current coupon code.

Thank you for posting that here. ~ P

miss MiA

ECF Veteran
Nov 12, 2009
Chicago, IL
Hi Bellasin, sorry those atties are giving you trouble. :( From the other thread --

I think the bad ones are called BE and the good ones SLB. I asked the experts about the correct names but so far my post is not showing there.

...I thought the 'new style'/washer thing was also being said of current SLBs, but not sure I guess. (Does the 'DSE' in itself mean anything re brand?) Mine rec'd from Health Cabin in late March are SLB, and from the pics above I think they're the 'new' kind (tho I've also commented that ppl's descriptions have been confusing to me, so still not 100%. Also do not want to start any rumors about HC's 901 atties lol!! And no one's complained or mentioned this issue on their subforum, anyway). After I read your post last night I finally made myself 'confront' the ones I bought lol and start using them. But so far so good... Don't have a lot of prior experience with any older style 901 atties (maybe it's lucky I don't eh?), but as of now anyway, good taste & vapor & no leaking. However, we'll see I guess...

Hmmm, wonder if maybe there is more than one 'new' design out there, and that's why some say they actually prefer the 'new one'??

Princessdee

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 23, 2009
PA, USA
It takes my ones like the one on the right in the pics up in the thread about 4-5 days to start leaking (after they're well broken in) but once the leaking starts it doesn't stop.
On the plus side, at 6V, I pop a LOT of attys. (usually after 4 or 5 days. My record is 2 in one day:blush:) I just said goodbye to one tonight that was one day short of 3 weeks old :nun: and I wasn't particularly careful with it.

YMMV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread