The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

901 Battery: Death by Drowning?

Discussion in 'General Vaping Discussion' started by MisKate, Jun 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. MisKate

    MisKate Senior Member ECF Veteran

    May 20, 2009
    Illinois, USA
    We went to some friends' house this afternoon for some fun in the sun and swimming in their pool. We all had our e-cigs and daquiri's on the deck at the edge of the pool so that we could swim over and have a vape and a drink.

    I've been so proud of my husband the last 4 days b/c he finally tried an e-cig, and has not smoked an analog. But I sure got PO'd at him today when he went to change batteries and DROPPED HIS BATTERY IN THE POOL!

    My daughter dove down and rescued it from its watery grave.....I took it and shook all the water out of it and put it in on the dashboard of my van. (muttering insanities the whole time) We just got home and I put the drowned battery on a charger, and lo and behold, IT BLINKED!!

    I am crossing my fingers that in about 3 hours the charger light will turn green and the battery will live again. What do you think? Anyone have any similar experience? I can't wait to find out, since my husband bet me $50 that the battery would be OK and I told him "no way, it's dead and you are a doofus for changing batteries while standing in the pool".
     
  2. malaki

    malaki Full Member ECF Veteran

    Jan 20, 2009
    I have dropped a cell phone in toilet and years ago on more then one occasion a pager. I always used a blow dryer on everything and then
    recharged them and have always been lucky I didn't kill them. I would of advised using a blow dryer and blowing the battery dry before charging but hopefully the way it sounds you might been lucky and haven't killed it. Please let us know if it dead or alive.
     
  3. emsmom

    emsmom Moved On ECF Veteran

    Mar 19, 2009
    Arizona
    Bet you just might be ok. As long as you got it out quickly, then tried to dry it as fast as possible, let it dry completely. Make sure it is totally dry before trying to charge it again. I have gotten one wet, not in a pool though, but wet enough that I was sure I had killed it. I took a dryer to it and let it air dry the rest of the way over 24 hours, then tried to charge it and it was fine.Think it probably depends on how long is was under water?
     
  4. saintnoir

    saintnoir Full Member

    May 30, 2009
    heres a simple trick that helps wrap it in a single layer of toilet paper/tissue paper twist the ends so its sealed in there.Pour a bit of plain white rice into a bowl pace it on top then fill the bowl with more rice.Leave it overnight the starch in the rice will absorb all the moisture and the paper keeps the rice from gunking up the batt
     
  5. trog100

    trog100 Moved On ECF Veteran

    May 23, 2008
    UK
    there is nothing in them that will be damaged by water.. just make sure its well dried out before using it..

    trog
     
  6. gashin

    gashin Unregistered Supplier ECF Veteran

    Before or after flushing? :lol:
     
  7. MisKate

    MisKate Senior Member ECF Veteran

    May 20, 2009
    Illinois, USA
    IT LIVES!!! I got up this morning to see the green light on the charger. I removed the batt and put it on with an atty, and it powered the atty! Uh oh, looks like I lost that $50 bet.

    After reading these posts, I see that I shouldn't have been so hasty to put it on the charger. Should have taken more time for the drying process. Great ideas -- hair dryer, the TP and rice, etc.

    Trog you say that nothing in them can be damaged by water. I went on the assumption that since e-liquid seeping into the battery from an overly wet atty could kill them, that any liquid would also kill them.

    I'm very happy except for the fact that I'll have to eat crow.
     
  8. bwood12043

    bwood12043 Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

    Jul 29, 2008
    East Texas
    Living in East Texas, I know the value of rice and crackers to keep/get things dry. With our humidty level, we keep rice in the salt shaker and crackers in the sugar bowl to keep them from gunking up.

    Just the other day, I unloaded the washing machine only to find one of my 510 batteries had been through the wash and rinse cycles ! I was afraid it would be dead, but went through the dry out process by first tapping it to get excess water from around switch. The battery connector end is sealed but I wiped it anyway to make sure it was as dry as possible, then wrapped a sheet or two of TP around the battery and put it in a baggie of about a 1/2 cup of dry rice overnight and much of the next day, about 24 hours.

    Put it on the charger for a few hours and it seems to be fine !

    Lucked out or maybe since the 510 batts are sealed, it didn't get water in the "works"... It is still my longest lasting battery, so was so glad it was not "death by bleach, soap, water, fabric softener" ! ! ! !
     
  9. NPerez

    NPerez Full Member

    Jun 9, 2009
    Northern NJ
    My knowledge on this kind of stuff is more geared toward computer hardware, but I don't think electronic devices are generally damaged by water, but are damaged by being powered on while wet. Computer chips are even cleaned w/ water in the factory.

    So yeah. When stuff gets wet, just let it dry before turning it on.
     
  10. BigJimW

    BigJimW Moved On ECF Veteran

    May 17, 2009
    Warwick, RI
    Most electronic devices will survive the water as long as it is thourally dried before being powered on, and I mean dried completely. Most people try to turn on the device as soon as it is taken out of the water to see if "it still works" and that is what usually fries it. The water on the circuits create shorts that kills it. If you had stuck the battery on the charger as soon as it came out of the pool, that would have killed it.

    After having my e-cig drop in the toilet a couple of weeks ago, I allowed it to totally dry for 48 hours before even attempting to use it. (BTW, I used a NEW cartridge, and tossed out the old. Who needs the taste of an analog in my e-cig? :D)

    Your allowing the battery to dry on the dash was a good thing to do. I once did an experament with an old cell phone. I allowed it to soak for a good 10 minutes in a glass of water and allowed a long time to dry. It still worked. ;)
     
  11. Slea

    Slea Super Member ECF Veteran

    Apr 12, 2009
    Tennessee, USA
    Nah. It's like the difference between spilling water on the floor and spilling a coke on the floor. Water comes up easy, and coke gunks up the floor.

    The extra stuff in juice gunks up the battery.
     
  12. Ridewithme38

    Ridewithme38 Moved On

    Jun 22, 2009
    i batteries a slightly different case then other non-powered electronics...its very likely that water could have bridged the + and - terminals on the Battery and shorted everything out...Don't forget...a battery is always on...its the device its powering that isn't
     
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice