902 Carto Experiment. Feel Free to Participate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

berube27

ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2010
Presque Isle, PA
So, I have been getting pretty in to the 902 cartos and have of course been using different juices with different mixes of vg and pg when i started with cartos... just so ya know, dont waste your time using juices with a high amount of vg. it'll kill em quick and u'll suck em til u turn purple tryin to get a taste.

anywho, i have been using 60pg40vg juices in them for about a month now. i am noticing a pattern that ya'll might find interesting and would like some people to confirm my recent findings.

here's the skinny. if the juice is light or clear in color i can get my carto to last for about a month. the darker in color the juice is, the shorter amount of time they last. for instance... coconut and banana juices (light in color) have been filled every few days for about a month and still work quite well. on the other hand, the cartos that i have filled with caramel cinnamon bun and chocolate almond (very dark juices) only last about a week.

now when i say they "last", i mean that i can continue to refill them with at least 20 drops on each refill.

after many weeks, the cartos can still take 20 drops of clear type juices. after a week i'm lucky if my cartos can take 10 drops of the dark juices.

once my cartos wont hold more than 10 drops, i throw em out. this is becoming a serious (and expensive looking) bummer on the part of using dark juices.

if you experiment, please post your results.

thanx!

\m/

Natalia

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2010
California
Not sure about the 902, but this happens to me with all cartos, 510, 808, etc. The darker juices seem to clog the carto atty. I think they caramelize and it builds up this burnt gunk at the bottom of the carto. Try sticking a thick straight pin into the bottom hole up through the carto and twirling the carto around it. When you pull the pin out, wipe it on a white napkin or tissue. If you see dark gunk, it's built up inside the carto. YMMV. :)

Natalia

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2010
California
Yup. I will clean the ones that have light juices in them, but the ones that held darker juices (especially vg) get tossed when they quit performing.

This weekend an older carto apparently shorted out and fried my vgo battery. :( link

I think I will start tossing them after about 5ml of use now.

Edit: It was a 510 carto and neither battery or carto were from Modern Vapor :)

Last edited:

FeistyAlice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Near Dallas Texas
I've noticed that with dark/sweet juices too. I've never been a heavy carto user but I've used them enough for six months to have boiled and reused them. I can usually do a couple of boils and good blow out using a huge syringe and baby medicine rubber end. BTW..... you don't dry burn any cartos except for the E2 and E2 mods (there may be exceptions). I learned that lesson on my first two box of cartos when I melted the center material piece into the stuffing on vertical burner cartos. I do dryburn all attys, though, after cleaning. (I boil everything boilable before first use because I cannot tolerate even the slightest bit of primer or solder flux. If it's not boilable I soak in PGA=pure grain alcohol, "white ligntening". Voda works too.

BTW.... the black painted and "shellac" steel attys/carts will start losing finish after second boil. I use a big paper clip edge to scrap all of the finish off (put a piece of cotton in the tube when you do this to keep the stuff out of the tube) The sticky paper attys and cartos hold up much better to boiling; at least mine have and some have been boiled four or five times.

Boiling helps to keep the holes cleared out. I've never had to clean out holes on carto or attys. Some people even open the holes a little bit by careful drilling on attys, but, boiling takes care of that.

I slow boil them for about 5 minutes, pour them out into a strainer, let them cool enough to handle, and then do the wrist flick and syringe pumping to get most of the moisture out. Then I put them in front of the exhaust on my Notebook for overnight. So I can get three fills, at the very least, before the stuffing gets worn out. I have been able to extend the number of fills by one or two by "fluffing" the filling with a sewing needle but it really depends on the brand of carto. Some last longer than others.

All of the juices I use are sweet and some are dark too. Don't use anything with less than 50% VG and usually much closer to 100% which I thin with PGA or a little distilled water if I'm out of PGA.

Alice

berube27

ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2010
Presque Isle, PA
ah HAH! so i wasnt imagining things! gonna have to try boiling some cartos to see what happens to em... next juice order, i think im gonna try an 80pg/20vg blend... i reeeeeeeeeeeeeeally dont wanna have to go 100pg full time on the cartos, but if thats what makes em work then so be it! gonna have to order some 100pg stuff anyway for cutting the 100vg stuff i had for dripping. im done with dripping. i cant afford 2 attys a week.

"I'm an atty swayer... a gittar pwayer... wif a nasty habit... kill da wabbit!"

and yes, i tried cleaning them with alcohol nightly. i have tried every cleaning method. doesnt matter. theyz gunky and ded anywho. what can i say. i LOVE the sugary flavors.

Timothy Cullen

ECF Veteran
Sep 29, 2010
Hanson, Kentucky, United States
hmm. berube i havent used 902's yet but i have had the pleasure of trying the 808d style cartos and they run great. as for use idk but to me after the first 6-8 pulls the flavor drops off. i mean there is plenty of juice but it just gets a little weaker. which is fine my biggest problem is making sure to get soft tip as i find the heating of the carto when my lips are on it to be slightly uncomfortable. now i do have a question what setup and ohm resistance are you running your attys at. i have bassically abused every atty i have had and have never had one die on me yet.(as of right now im using a 3.2 ohm att at 5v i recieved with my roughstack kit back in 10/8/2010.) so i wonder why your burning through 2 a week. i never clean mine hell i sometimes forget and leave juice in them overnight or when switching to a different atomizer and ive had a couple I.E. the one im currently using sit for months with juice in them and still run fine. most i ever do is blow them out and i even do that backwards by blowing through the top and having the juice come out the threaded end.
ive run this atty at 3.7,6v(too hot and burnt tasteing) and 5v. i even accidently dry burned it (first attempt) to the point of an awful burnt taste being left in their. just pluged it with juice 3 times in a row. and it still vapes great.
i use boge, and i think the 3.2 is slb so just curios

Garnoch

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 5, 2010
NYC
Hey, welcome to the MV forum, Timothy. You might wind up getting a lot of people to tell you to try a 902 though if you're used to your flavor dropping off so quick. :)
Berube, although VG adds to it, I think moving to just PG won't necessarily solve the issue. It also depends on the flavor - I don't think it has to be dark though. My wife uses a light juice and man does that stuff clog fast. I've had the same issue on different kinds of attys and the 902 cartos - certain juice just clogs faster. But yes, VG seems to add to the issue. I actually prefer the TH of just PG anyway, but a touch of VG is nice. My best luck has been with Halo juice - unfortunately I only like one of their flavors so far.

berube27

ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2010
Presque Isle, PA
@ tim - i dont know about ohms and voltages and whatnot. i use only MV stuff, so it is whatever King Tony sez it is. LOL

@ gar - as far as TH goes, I liked it when I first quit analogs, but I became addicted to dripping 100vg juice on fresh attys. fog so thick you couldnt talk until you fully finished the exhale. aaaaaaaaaaaaah i miss that. i think another problem i have created for myself is for backing down to 11mg nic... i keep wanting more vape. 2 days ago i started using my 100pg 24 nic china eww stuff that i bought on my first order... BAM! didnt need to vape that for long before i had to put it down!

im going upstairs to boil ALL of my old attys and cartos to see if any of them will come back to life. heh. cant wait to see if it works. heck, 24 hours of alcohol bath didnt help em a lick.

Natalia

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2010
California
you??? No way. :)

me, way :)

I just filled my first 902 carto.

I use the syringe method for the first fill on all my cartos.

The top of the carto now looks like a slushy. I've set it aside and will try it in about 3 hours. It should be well wicked by then. I'll post back and let you know how it goes :)

Last edited:

Natalia

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2010
California
me, way :)

I just filled my first 902 carto.

I use the syringe method for the first fill on all my cartos.

The top of the carto now looks like a slushy. I've set it aside and will try it in about 3 hours. It should be well wicked by then. I'll post back and let you know how it goes :)

I'm really getting good vapor and taste with this carto! it compares to my favorite 510, only shorter. I just read Tony's post about these changing... uh oh :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread