902 RSP Mod (Reservoir Straw Plug) with Blue Foam Plug

Status
Not open for further replies.

auTONYmous

ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
Michigan
For the 902, I'm using the RSP mod but using Blue Foam as the plug, instead of the scotch-brite suggested in the OP. I also use a grocery-store drinking straw, instead of coffee stirrers as posted in other foam/straw mods. The foam creates a small vacuum in the drinking straw to remove all the liquid from the bottom of the cart. ALL OF IT...and since the drinking straw itself is roughly the diameter of the inside of the cart, there's very little left around the inner cart that doesn't succumb to this vacuum and move into the foam. (just my theory, but seems accurate).

It's also VERY important to wash the foam with hot water first. (no soap necessary, just really hot water). That solved 90% of my residual foam flavor problems.

How to: MV 902 RSP (Reservoir Straw Plug) with Blue Foam Plug
Needs:
  • MarineLand Rite-Size "U" Foam Aquarium Filters (search the forums, these are well-documented)
  • Regular grocery-store drinking straw (fast-food straws are usually too big)
  • Scissors
  • Tweezers
Steps:
4363451330_df5e910010_m.jpg

(Figure 1)
  1. Put straw down into the cart, use a pair of scissors to cut it off along the top of the cart. Take the cut straw out, cut a pair of small 2-3mm tall "v" notches on either side of the bottom (Fig. 1, Fig. 2)
    4363456986_c703e0bcbe_t.jpg
    Re-insert into the cart, aligning the v-notches to slide down over the crossbar in the cart. It should leave roughly 3mm open space above it in the cart. (Fig 3.)
    4363436522_c54b3fe528_m.jpg
  2. Fill the cart with juice up to the top of the straw. Should be 19-20 drops.
  3. Cut a piece of blue foam about 3mm x 5mm. See Fig. 1 (Easy way to ballpark is foam width is about the same size as the cart the wide way, length is just over 1/2 the length of the inner cart without mouthpiece.). Roll it up the long way, compressed a bit, and insert it into the top of the cart. Don't insert into the straw, just squash it into the top of the cart above the straw. (Fig. 4)
    4362694019_ab39755d6d_m.jpg

I use a pair of tweezers to help here. You want to make it flush with the cart top, and using the tweezers, compress it in until the foam starts wicking fluid, then allow it to expand back to flush with the cart top.
  4. (Optional) Sometimes during refilling, I will also take the step of using a q-tip or napkin to soak some leftover juice off my atty. For normal cleaning, I put on my manual battery, and run the atty 8 cycles of 8secs each until its semi-dry.
  5. Insert cart into atty, and enjoy!
Notes:
Done properly this WILL wick until the cart is dry. I've been doing it for over two weeks (since my first day vaping), and have not had ONE cart that tasted bad that wasn't bone dry. Bad taste = empty cart OR unwashed foam. It's that simple. And the cart itself will empty before the foam goes completely dry. I've even done my own version of "dripping" by just placing 2-3 drops on the foam plug, reinserting the cart, and vaping from there. If it doesn't seem to wick quite as well at first, make sure the foam is nearly saturated by lightly pushing on it with tweezers, or cut a tiny bit off to make it smaller and reinsert. It doesn't have to be exact, but should be snug enough that it takes a slight tug with tweezers to fully remove from the cart.

You can simply rinse off the foam if you're changing flavors in the cart, but the foam is reusable. And the juice won't leak from the cart. I keep a few un-capped filled carts in my pcc with this method, and they don't spill a drop, even with the PCC in my pants pocket.

Anytime I get leaks/fluid in the mouth with this method, it's because I put too much juice in the cart. All leaks are after vaping it over-filled, and don't happen until I either remove the cart to check it, or I take the mouthpiece off the cart to look for excess juice (the condensation on the cart/in the mouthpiece squishes out on re-insertion. This happens anyway after vaping on a 902, and the cart and mouthpiece should always be wiped down before refilling to avoid residual flavors).

(If anyone is interested, I can try to post pics)

Last edited:

VictoryNotVengence

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2009
USA
I have some questions:
" aligning the v-notches to slide down over the crossbar in the cart"

My carts don't have a crossbar or a TBONE!! so what the heyzo are you talking about?

*edit :pulls blank cart apart: oooohhh TBONE!!! why is that in there? makes no sense even with polyfill.

"Cut a piece of blue foam about 3mm x 5mm. See Fig. 1 (Easy way to ballpark is foam width is about the same size as the cart the wide way, length is just over 1/2 the length of the inner cart without mouthpiece.). Roll it up the long way, compressed a bit, and insert it into the top of the cart. Don't insert into the straw, just squash it into the top of the cart above the straw. (Fig. 4)"

so how do you want me to roll the foam? Like a swiss roll? would the spiral face up or sideways?? I see the pic, if i could blow it up to full screen i might understand but i doubt it.

auTONYmous

ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
Michigan
Spiral faces sideways, towards the rounded sides of the cart. Sorry, I couldn't get a descriptive pic of that without doing a video :p

Or you could just fold in half and stuff the open in downwards. That *kinda* works too, but has a tendency to want to squish into the straw, which to me doesn't stuff or wick as well. Different mod also (don't want to take credit for the "Dart" method, which is stuffing the straw)

cainne

ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2010
Houston
1) I'm missing something. What is the point of the straw? Simply to provide additional support for the foam so it doesn't push down further into the cart?

2) .... technical detail but I can't see how the foam creates a vacuum. I presume that when you inhale you're creating negative pressure inside the outer cart which allows the liquid to pull the fluid up from the inner cart into the base of the foam, (the section in contact with the loose liquid),which is then wicked up to the top via capillary action?

auTONYmous

ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
Michigan
1) That's mostly true. But 1. works hand-in-hand with 2.

2) Your physics vocabulary is stronger than mine. What I have observed, however, is that if you fill a cart halfway in this style, then leave it sit for a few hours and take the foam out, you'll find 80-90% of the juice is now in the foam.

Vapor production doesn't grow inconsistent as the cart empties, as would happen 3/4 way through a cart with just foam/polyfill, since nearly all of the juice has a tendency to continuously move into the foam. That's why I assumed (maybe wrongfully, but I stated that my science may be incorrect) that it seemed to be the foam creating negative pressure (vacuum) in the cart/straw to bring the juice up into the foam itself. Whether that is capillary action or vacuum, IDK. But I'm describing the behavior of the juice in this method, so excuse my ignorance over the correct term to use.

That action is consistent whether you vape the cart or not, so any negative pressure from actually vaping it is inconsequential (or bonus, to assist moving the juice, but not necessary).

cainne

ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2010
Houston
Gotcha, I was just trying to clarify because I wasn't sure exactly what putting a large straw inside would do differently except to possibly provide support for the foam on top.

It's like when people keep saying custom juice has to age and I keep asking why, I tend to be naturally skeptical in these things unless it makes some rational sense, lol.

(And yes, I was an annoying as @#^$^ kid) lol.

deathmetalmaster

Oct 25, 2010
lorton
I would like to make a suggestion to those who try this mod. If your drinking straw that you use seems too big (and this even happens with the right size straw) Sometimes the atty being inserted into the cart will push the cart inside the straw. to prevent this from happening, I took a paper clip and Bent the straw inwards on its self on opposite sides of the top end of the straw so it looked like the number 8. With the kink in the middle, it makes it impossible for the foam to slip inside the straw! I figured this out through much trial and error. Also, its good to measure the width of the piece in relation to how much space there is between the top of the straw and the top of the cart. I try to have the top a little bit over the top of the cart so when the atty pushes on it, it doesnt retract in too far. let me know what you think tony!

JTman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 24, 2010
SE Michigan
Hey Tony. First,thanks for the great mod! I've had my MV 902 for about 2 weeks now. I decided to order some cartos which I got on Saturday. I don't want to give up on carts just yet (I like the cartos but i dont seem to get as strong of a vape which I crave in the mornings!) So I decided to try your mod. I seem to get this pastic-ey taste. I washed the foam 2 times with a little soap and lots of rinsing as I read on another thread somewhere. Got any suggestions for me?

auTONYmous

ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
Michigan
I LOVE feedback, positive or negative. :)

1) I've NEVER used soap. If you've ever watched the old Zest commercials that show leftover soap residue, that's what rinsing the foam in the first place is attempting to alleviate. This foam has LOTS of available surfaces in it's makeup to collect and store residues. Adding soap residue to the foams coating is probably not what's desired. HOT HOT water is what works for me (you can even try soaking it.) If that doesn't work, maybe a light rinse in alcohol followed by a long dunk/rinse in water should get rid of any leftover residues. I wouldn't be opposed to soaking a few minutes in near-boiling water.

1a) I'll share something I may not have shared before re: rinsing the foam: I usually roll the foam in my fingers while rinsing, until I can't stand it anymore (my water heater is pretty hot, so finger burning is a possibilty), then blot dry on a paper towel, then rinse again 2-3 times. I also usually re-rinse my foam, clean leftover juice out of my carts and straws all at the same time. I have like a 1-hr cleaning ritual that I do every week. Foams get rinsed and dried, attys get an alcohol soak and rinsed, PCC's get a wipedown, and I set up what carts will do what flavor duty for the next week. Load up refills (I keep somewhere like 20 carts ready with 5 diff juices at all times), then go.

2) Sometimes getting the size of the straw and the size of the foam correct is a little trial-and-error (I've found that some carts are actually a hair shorter than others, and that makes a bit of difference with the foam's contact to the atty bridge). Took me a while to get the sizes I first posted, and I still to this day will either trim some foam, or cut new pieces if I find them too small. I hope you get to a place where it REALLY works.

3) I've noticed that I sometimes get a SLIGHT hint of the foam taste depending on the atty. Clean your atty, vape a cart without the foam, then replace with a foamed cart and see if you can still taste it. Usually, that tells me the foam is too big, and I trim it. It can also mean the foam is drying and its time to refill. Do check your atty for traces of foam around the bridge, clean it if you see any.

Thanks for trying it out. Like most things e-cig, there's some trial-and-error involved, but it's worth it when things work, and you're not inhaling analogs anymore!

auTONYmous

ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
Michigan
I would like to make a suggestion to those who try this mod. If your drinking straw that you use seems too big (and this even happens with the right size straw) Sometimes the atty being inserted into the cart will push the cart inside the straw. to prevent this from happening, I took a paper clip and Bent the straw inwards on its self on opposite sides of the top end of the straw so it looked like the number 8. With the kink in the middle, it makes it impossible for the foam to slip inside the straw! I figured this out through much trial and error. Also, its good to measure the width of the piece in relation to how much space there is between the top of the straw and the top of the cart. I try to have the top a little bit over the top of the cart so when the atty pushes on it, it doesnt retract in too far. let me know what you think tony!

I wanted to get back to you on this:

Haven't noticed much of a difference on my 902, except that I did flood my atty a couple of times due to too much soaked foam on the bridge. I've found that using another method of cutting the foam like 2x as big, cut a slit in the top of the foam and, leave that extra 1-1.5ml of split foam above the cart when inserting into the atty would achieve nearly the same effect, but without squishing the foam to the point that it neither

1) achieves proper capillary action to evacuate the juice below it, or
2) produces so much capillary action that it tries to force all the juice into the atty bridge at once. (Found that out trying to use your method on a SideSho, to much juice-tasting effect...fill inner cart, pull five times, gargle to get the juice off my tongue, remove cart, notice it's empty already and atty is flooded)

Of course, I have noticed that the foam does like to sorta stick itself down into the straw a little, but not too far, and this is OK. If yours is going all the way into the straw consistently, you need to either make the foam "roll" wider, don't roll it at all - just stuff it in the top of the cart, or make the straw a tad shorter.

Also, the foam does this more often (for me at least) if I don't rinse it every 4-5 refills. So, I keep lots of RSP carts ready instead of re-using just a couple very often.

Hope that helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread