"A" battery discharges faster than "B" battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buckeyevapen

ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2016
QQ: I have a married set of LG 20a 3000 mah batteries. They are brand new and have only been used in one mod. (smok Alien). The batteries charge to 100% but the "A" battery begins to loose charge (with use) slightly faster then the "B". Why would this happen? I did a test to switch the battery locations and immediately and it produced the same result: "A" showing slightly less charge then "B". No imbalanced warnings. Mod is working fine just wondering if this is "normal" or if I should be concerned.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    It sounds to me like something slightly off with mod if it was battery it would move with battery not location. Jmo

It seemed that's what was being said..that the battery locations were switched and the same battery still discharged to a lower voltage.

@Buckeyevapen, if this is the case it's completely normal as every battery is slightly different from the other. It's not a problem unless the difference is large or is quickly becoming large.

Buckeyevapen

ECF Veteran
    Jan 22, 2016
    It seemed that's what was being said..that the battery locations were switched and the same battery still discharged to a lower voltage.

@Buckeyevapen, if this is the case it's completely normal as every battery is slightly different from the other. It's not a problem unless the difference is large or is quickly becoming large.
    Thank you Mooch.

is 5-6% difference "big" or "normal"? (This difference has been consistent) Thanks again.

Buckeyevapen

ECF Veteran
    Jan 22, 2016

Actually the battery locations were switched aand the same location on the mod showed the difference in charge level not the battery. Sorry I miss read your statement above.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Ahh, ok, I misunderstood.
    As @AzPlumber mentioned the battery meters in our mods are often not very accurate.

Both batteries in a series connection though, by definition, are discharged at the exact same rate. But since each battery has a slightly different capacity, internal resistance, etc., it results in the battery voltages differing as they discharge. Combine this with the inaccuracy of some mod voltage readings and a 5%-6% difference is not uneard of.

If the voltage difference starts increasng a lot then one of the batteries has probably reached the end of its life.

Reactions: KentA

Buckeyevapen

ECF Veteran
    Jan 22, 2016
    Ahh, ok, I misunderstood.
    As @AzPlumber mentioned the battery meters in our mods are often not very accurate.

Both batteries in a series connection though, by definition, are discharged at the exact same rate. But since each battery has a slightly different capacity, internal resistance, etc., it results in the battery voltages differing as they discharge. Combine this with the inaccuracy of some mod voltage readings and a 5%-6% difference is not uneard of.

If the voltage difference starts increasng a lot then one of the batteries has probably reached the end of its life.
    So long story short: it is a nominal variance that should only be a concern and addressed should the difference in voltage increase.

Thank you mooch and everyone else for the help.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
    ECF Veteran
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    I sometimes see a .1v (one tenth volt) difference when I take a married set out of a mod. I also see this in my RX200S when I do the on-board voltage check when they are installed in the RX200S. It's not an issue with a small difference in voltage, IMO. As AZPlumber said, make sure connections are clean and read them with a voltmeter outside the mod just for comparison.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread