A coil above sub-ohm but hits like sub-ohm?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aznzing03

ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2013
Minneapolis
Well, I'm currently rocking 3 different set ups. A dual nano with a <1mm ID 8 wraps of 28g at .4ohms. A dual micro with a <1.5mm ID 6 wraps of 28g at .3ohms. And another nano of 5 wraps at .2ohms.
All on drippers and all hit amazing. Great flavor and vapor production. I just can't seem to get that out of a regulated mod build no matter what I try.

ZW99GT

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 31, 2012
DFW
I have my AGA T-2 setup with a 1.4ohm micro so I could use it on my VW mods. At around 12W it hits really well for what it is. Plenty strong enough for an ADV, but it's not realistic to compare it to a .2ohm nano on a mech. The power you can get from a regulated device at 12-15 watts is orders of magnitude lower than the wattage you're seeing on your super sub-ohm builds.

You're expectations have to be in check with common sense and science. Vapor production (all else equal) is a result of how much heat/power is sent to the coil. 12 watts will never vape like 50 watts.

dr g

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2012
Paradise
Does it exist?
Something that you could run on an RDA/RBA that is not sub-ohm but will give the flavor and clouds like a sub-ohm on a mech mod?
Does that even make sense? :p
Possibly like a 30g dual? Or maybe even 32g quad? Heat up quick and stays above 1 ohm?

Well it depends what you mean by subohm (exactly what resistance) and what kind of performance you expect. Micro coils only do so much. The real answer to your question lies in the power supply ... a regulated device will give you similar performance at any resistance for the same wattage on a subohm coil.

LeoRex

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2013
United States
Well it depends what you mean by subohm (exactly what resistance)

Glad someone brought this up... Once you get under 1 ohm, the power output builds REALLY fast... At 0.9, you are at around 20 watts, at 0.6, you are close to 30... at 0.4, you are close to 45 watts.

With microcoils, the sub-ohm experience it replicates is more towards that high sub-ohm range, 0.8 to 1 ohm. If you want to replicate a vape at 40 watts, you aren't going to get it with a 1.5 ohm microcoil.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
Well, I'm currently rocking 3 different set ups. A dual nano with a <1mm ID 8 wraps of 28g at .4ohms. A dual micro with a <1.5mm ID 6 wraps of 28g at .3ohms. And another nano of 5 wraps at .2ohms.
All on drippers and all hit amazing. Great flavor and vapor production. I just can't seem to get that out of a regulated mod build no matter what I try.
have you actually read the OP ? maybe you thought this was the BEST WAY TO BLOW YOURSELF UP THREAD.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
Glad someone brought this up... Once you get under 1 ohm, the power output builds REALLY fast... At 0.9, you are at around 20 watts, at 0.6, you are close to 30... at 0.4, you are close to 45 watts.

With microcoils, the sub-ohm experience it replicates is more towards that high sub-ohm range, 0.8 to 1 ohm. If you want to replicate a vape at 40 watts, you aren't going to get it with a 1.5 ohm microcoil.

a .9 coil is 20 watts? I think your forgetting about something unless your vaping it with a dna-20 mod.

Last edited:

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
for whats out there right now the best way for someone to kind of replicate a sub ohm vape is with micro coils, period. now if you have been vaping really low ohms, like .7 or below and now want to try a micro coil at 1.5, it may not do it for you, but if you haven't ventured into this, then a micro coil in the 1.3 range is your closest option.

LeoRex

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2013
United States
a .9 coil is 20 watts? I think your forgetting about something unless your vaping it with a dna-20 mod.

Right.... that's kind of what I was saying... My point was that micros do give a 'sub ohm' experience, but more along the lines of allowing a regulated device with a 1.3/1.5 ohm limit to give a vape on par with a 20 w .9 ohm device (running on something like a mech).

A 1.8 ohm micro coil, at 8 to 10 watts, something that even a standard or VV ego can attain without much fuss, can give someone a vape that they wouldn't otherwise be able to obtain with 'traditional' coils unless they go to 1/sub 1 devices on mechs or

But the extreme sub-ohm stuff... that's a whole different universe...

aznzing03

ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2013
Minneapolis
Well I'm not trying to blow myself up and yes I know a lot about battery safety and all that fun stuff. On all my mods I'm running MNKE's. Don't worry. The lowest I've gone is a .14 and I am never going to that again. My comfort level is right about .3-.5. With nano coils in that range the flavor is intense and the vape is still cool.
I was wondering if there was anything a little higher in ohms, a different way to wrap the coils, that would achieve the same effect.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
Right.... that's kind of what I was saying... My point was that micros do give a 'sub ohm' experience, but more along the lines of allowing a regulated device with a 1.3/1.5 ohm limit to give a vape on par with a 20 w .9 ohm device (running on something like a mech).

A 1.8 ohm micro coil, at 8 to 10 watts, something that even a standard or VV ego can attain without much fuss, can give someone a vape that they wouldn't otherwise be able to obtain with 'traditional' coils unless they go to 1/sub 1 devices on mechs or

But the extreme sub-ohm stuff... that's a whole different universe...

I agree with all of what you say except for one thing, a .9 coil on a mech is most likely only pushing 16 watts and that's just for a short time because of the drain. when you figure wattages you must calculate voltage loss. on a freshly charged battery your most likely to be only getting about 3.8v on average to the coil in most mechs. some are more efficient then others but at 3.8v on a .9 resistance your not getting 20 watts.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
Well I'm not trying to blow myself up and yes I know a lot about battery safety and all that fun stuff. On all my mods I'm running MNKE's. Don't worry. The lowest I've gone is a .14 and I am never going to that again. My comfort level is right about .3-.5. With nano coils in that range the flavor is intense and the vape is still cool.
I was wondering if there was anything a little higher in ohms, a different way to wrap the coils, that would achieve the same effect.

you know its my bad. I read the original post by you asking the question of being able to vape at a higher resistance, or if a higher resistance can kind of be equal to a lower ohm coil. when I seen your other post about what your currently vaping now, I thought it was someone else's post. I thought to myself, the original post is asking about vaping higher resistances and this guy chimes in on his ultra low resistances, I thought this is no help to the original post. meanwhile it was you just stating what your currently vaping, sorry bro I totally blew that one. anyways since you have or do vape already at these low resistances I doubt that you can vape anything higher. I started with gennys at resistances around .6, when these micros came along I thought I could get by vaping like a 1.3 or so coil and it would be the same, although it is kind of, its really not. I still prefer low resistance coils, but .6 is as low as I go. good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread