A few questions about mod settings for coil

Status
Not open for further replies.

assaultshaker

Jan 12, 2018
I have just quit smoking and switched to vaping. I was given a smok t-priv 220w tc with the tfv8 big baby beast. I didn't realize what i was getting into, since there is a lot more to setup, settings etc than I ever would have thought. I had someone familiar with vaporizers set things up for me, but I want/need to understand some things so I feel more comfortable with the setup.
First let me say, I'm comfortable with the draw I'm getting, and the flavors are fine. I just want to know if things are properly setup before prolonged excessive use I guess.

And i'm sure someone may tell me to start simpler and work my way toward something like this. I don't plan to spend any more money than I need to. The whole idea here is to save money over smoking a pack a day anyhow. I want to learn and work with what I already have.

(this may end up longer than i planned)
ok so main question here again is setting up ohms and wattage for specific coils.
I showed them at a vape shop what i had, and said i just want a simple mid-range coil to get started and go from there.
The coil i bought has 2 holes on the top, so i presume this means 2 coils? (bear with me here i'm super new to all this). The packaging did not specify coil type, so from what i've read, this means it should be run in watt mode, as it's not nickel or 'TI'(?).
anyway;
on the side of the coil, it says
smok
v8-x4
.15(ohm)
60-150w
best 80-120w
so i understand that 60-150w is the wattage range of the coil. I presume that 80-120w is the most efficient wattage setting within the range.
Now, i have an ohms setting, and i have it set to .15 to match what the coil says.
I have the watt set to 90, as this is giving a pretty comfortable draw for me.
I want to verify all these settings are indeed appropriate, and know if there's anything important i'm missing.
.15 ohms also seems to be very low compared to a lot of what i'm reading in forums, and my vague understanding of electricity makes me wonder if this lower resistance coil is potentially more dangerous than a higher ohm coil. And does the number of holes (coils?) on top of the coil affect how these settings should be applied?
Also just want feedback on anything else there may be that i need to know about.
I don't necessarily want to make this a 'hobby' as many people are doing. I'm just looking for functionality, safety, and a cheaper & presumably healthier alternative to smoking.
forgive my ignorance, and thanks in advance for any responses

assaultshaker

Jan 12, 2018
Also, is it safe, advisable, or safER to set your ohm resistance higher than what the coil says?
And I posted all this in the new members area because the site recommended I do so. I AM new, both as a member and as a vape user. I joined up so I can hopefully get a better understanding of these things, as well as to see what other people are doing and using

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Hi and welcome! Nothing wrong with that setup to start out. You can grow into it.

A few things to help you out First, you should not be setting the resistance. The mod will read it just fine, and there will be some variation between coils out of the same box. Factory coils do that.

Second, forget the recommended or rated wattages. They’re a rough guide at best and plain misleading at worst as the companies think high numbers sell better. The correct wattage for a given coil selection is the one that gives you a satisfying vape. You can try lower than 90W, as I expect you’ll get a nice vape below that. I’ve used that coil at 50W and been happy. Of course, YMMV.

assaultshaker

Jan 12, 2018
Thanks for the reply. I did notice once when I turned it on it said something along the lines of "new coil, update settings?" Or something like that. I let it do its thing. I didn't know it could sense that itself though.
I guess I was just worried because it sounded like most of the dangers of battery failure seem to be from sub ohm vaping. But reading more that seems to be more from people using mech mods.
I am just trying to make sure I don't have anything dangerous in my set up.
What are your (or anyones) preferences when choosing coils? I am content enough with the one I have, but I don't know enough about the different effects of having more or less coils, or higher/lower resistances. I guess it probably all just comes down to vapor production.
Oh and last, I keep reading that with similar setups to this one, most people prefer vg to pg juices... I'm using a 50/50 mix at 6mg and I guess it's fine. I've only used these two flavors I bought to start out though, so I don't have much experience with what and why.
Who knew I had so many questions to ask today?

Reactions: Letitia

Hambonecloudin83

Jan 12, 2018
I have just quit smoking and switched to vaping. I was given a smok t-priv 220w tc with the tfv8 big baby beast. I didn't realize what i was getting into, since there is a lot more to setup, settings etc than I ever would have thought. I had someone familiar with vaporizers set things up for me, but I want/need to understand some things so I feel more comfortable with the setup.
First let me say, I'm comfortable with the draw I'm getting, and the flavors are fine. I just want to know if things are properly setup before prolonged excessive use I guess.

And i'm sure someone may tell me to start simpler and work my way toward something like this. I don't plan to spend any more money than I need to. The whole idea here is to save money over smoking a pack a day anyhow. I want to learn and work with what I already have.

(this may end up longer than i planned)
ok so main question here again is setting up ohms and wattage for specific coils.
I showed them at a vape shop what i had, and said i just want a simple mid-range coil to get started and go from there.
The coil i bought has 2 holes on the top, so i presume this means 2 coils? (bear with me here i'm super new to all this). The packaging did not specify coil type, so from what i've read, this means it should be run in watt mode, as it's not nickel or 'TI'(?).
anyway;
on the side of the coil, it says
Smok
v8-x4
.15(ohm)
60-150w
best 80-120w
so i understand that 60-150w is the wattage range of the coil. I presume that 80-120w is the most efficient wattage setting within the range.
Now, i have an ohms setting, and i have it set to .15 to match what the coil says.
I have the watt set to 90, as this is giving a pretty comfortable draw for me.
I want to verify all these settings are indeed appropriate, and know if there's anything important i'm missing.
.15 ohms also seems to be very low compared to a lot of what i'm reading in forums, and my vague understanding of electricity makes me wonder if this lower resistance coil is potentially more dangerous than a higher ohm coil. And does the number of holes (coils?) on top of the coil affect how these settings should be applied?
Also just want feedback on anything else there may be that i need to know about.
I don't necessarily want to make this a 'hobby' as many people are doing. I'm just looking for functionality, safety, and a cheaper & presumably healthier alternative to smoking.
forgive my ignorance, and thanks in advance for any responses
Hi, I have the exact set up as you but i was going through coils every week so I decided to get a rba (rebuildable atomizer) for the big baby beast so now all ill have to replace is the cotton and build a coil maybe once in a blue moon... So for cheap way to run with it, personally I would get the RBA for the big baby beast (not the 18mm deck), and a bag of cotton bacon and you wont have to buy any more coils... Its just a cheap and effective way to have the best of both worlds.... There's loads of info on utube as well....

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
For you set up at 50/50 you will go thru more juice but it's easier on your coils. VG is thicker and smoothes th (throat hit) and provides a satisfying lung hit. PG carries your flavor, is thinner, and provides a harsher th, but reduces lung hit and visible vapor. I prefer 70vg/30pg or 80vg/20pg. Try higher vg blends and spend the extra money to try different coils. Vaping styles are too objective for us to tell you what you will like better.

assaultshaker

Jan 12, 2018
thanks for all the info. I'll play around with flavors as well as the mixes. just so many options for so many different things.
I have been reading about rba's but it seems like it could be labor intensive. also seems like that will be a gateway to my adopting yet another hobby. i'll look up some vids on youtube about it, maybe i'm making it out to be more than it is.
I've heard varying feedback about coils. i'd like them to last more than a week, but that's still pretty affordable... even at the overpriced local vape stores they are under $10 for the coils they showed me to be compatible.
does anyone have preference in coil type? the t-priv has setting for temperature control, but i understand that's only for nickel and titatium coils.

Reactions: Eskie

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I guess I was just worried because it sounded like most of the dangers of battery failure seem to be from sub ohm vaping. But reading more that seems to be more from people using mech mods.
Your thoughts are not far off the mark.

Statistically, the majority of reported battery incidents occur when people transport loose batteries in their pocket, purse, or bag. The batteries come into contact with something metalic (coins, keyes). This shorts the battery and "Kaboom". Always transport loose batteries in a plastic carrying case.

Regulated mods have protection circuitry built into the mod, but occassionally those protections can and do rarely break down. Mechanical mods have no chip or built-in protection, so they are more vulnerable to short circuits. A specific class of mechanical mod (direct battery/faux hybrid/hybrid top mech) is even more vulnerable when uninformed novices use them with an inappropriate atomizer.

What are your (or anyones) preferences when choosing coils? I am content enough with the one I have, but I don't know enough about the different effects of having more or less coils, or higher/lower resistances.
This is entirely individual personal preference based on one's own experience.

Over time, my own experience has revealed that my "sweet spot" is a resistance of 0.5 - 0.6 ohm. A lower resistance than that is usually "too hot" for me, or a higher resistance just doesn't compare with vapor production.

Some wire options include kanthal, nickle, or stainless steel. Nickle is for only temp control mode in regulated mods. Kanthal can't be used in TC. Stainless steel can be used in TC or wattage mode.

..most people prefer vg to pg juices... I'm using a 50/50 mix at 6mg and I guess it's fine. I've only used these two flavors I bought to start out though, so I don't have much experience with what and why.
A 50/50 pg/vg ratio used to be extremely common just a couple of years ago. With the increasing popularity of sub-ohm vaping and the quest for "more vapor, bro" a higher Vg ratio has become more common.

Pg is often said to be the "flavor carrier" in e-liquid (not sure that's entirely true), but also is partly responsible for "throat hit" along with the nicotine concentration. Some folks are sensitive to Pg, some actually allergic to it. Pg is like water in viscosity, while Vg is thicker like oil (may slow down wicking in some tanks); so with some tanks some Pg is a welcome addition.

Vg is said to be the "vapor maker". I've had the same flavor of juice in both a 50/50 pg/vg ratio and 100% Vg , vaped them side by side, and could not tell from a flavor perspective the difference between the two.

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
Welcome @assaultshaker

I use other Smok mods and the Big Baby Beast tank. You have already gotten good advice on your and other coils to which I would add.... I tend to stay around the bottom end of the "best at" range, for the X4 coils around 76-84 watts and that works for me. My personal preference is the T8 coils. Just read you latest post and you can get a box of 5 coils for around $15-$18.

And since you got it used, you might see if you can find out what batteries are in it and how old they are. At the cost of a pair of quality, authentic batteries, it may be a good idea to buy a new pair.

assaultshaker

Jan 12, 2018
Thanks baditude lots of good info!

Welcome @assaultshaker

I use other Smok mods and the Big Baby Beast tank. You have already gotten good advice on your and other coils to which I would add.... I tend to stay around the bottom end of the "best at" range, for the X4 coils around 76-84 watts and that works for me. My personal preference is the T8 coils. Just read you latest post and you can get a box of 5 coils for around $15-$18.

And since you got it used, you might see if you can find out what batteries are in it and how old they are. At the cost of a pair of quality, authentic batteries, it may be a good idea to buy a new pair.
i actually bought new samsung batteries and a charger right from the get go.
I've been moving between 70-90 watts and somewhere in there is working good for me, which matches what you're saying.
I'll have to look at the t8 coils next time i'm out and about. once i find what i like, i plan to just order up online, since everyone says its much cheaper.

assaultshaker

Jan 12, 2018
PG carries your flavor, is thinner, and provides a harsher th, but reduces lung hit and visible vapor. I prefer 70vg/30pg or 80vg/20pg.

Vg is said to be the "vapor maker". I've had the same flavor of juice in both a 50/50 pg/vg ratio and 100% Vg , vaped them side by side, and could not tell from a flavor viewpoint the difference between the two.

i think i'll aim for the 70/30 next time i buy juice, since maybe it will be a nice compromise between quality and coil longevity. I find the throat/lung hit is very psychologically important to me for replacing that cigarette craving. I remember trying blue e-cigs a few years ago to quit smoking, and i'd get a headache from all the nicotine i was getting, while still not finding my cigarette craving being satisfied. I couldn't put it into words then, but it was the th missing i guess.

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
i actually bought new samsung batteries and a charger right from the get go.
I've been moving between 70-90 watts and somewhere in there is working good for me, which matches what you're saying.
I'll have to look at the t8 coils next time i'm out and about. once i find what i like, i plan to just order up online, since everyone says its much cheaper.

That's good to hear! Sounds like you are quickly and correctly getting everything figured out and working for you! Great start and good luck on getting off the smokes!

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
i think i'll aim for the 70/30 next time i buy juice, since maybe it will be a nice compromise between quality and coil longevity. I find the throat/lung hit is very psychologically important to me for replacing that cigarette craving. I remember trying blue e-cigs a few years ago to quit smoking, and i'd get a headache from all the nicotine i was getting, while still not finding my cigarette craving being satisfied. I couldn't put it into words then, but it was the th missing i guess.

If you like throat hit the higher PG juice will work better. Nothing wrong with experimenting with 70/30. Maybe buy the same juice in 50/50 as well so if the 7”/30 doesn’t do it you can also mix a bit of each to get a 60/40 and see how that is.

So long as you’re using Smok coils, you’ll always be vaping in wattage mode only as they do not make a temp control compatible coil. You can also try something like the ?X2 (always forget the weird labels Smok uses) that’s rated at 0.4 ohm. I like it because it delivers a solid balance of flavor and vapor for my taste, while only needing 40W or so to do it. The advantages are less juice consumption and longer battery life. It’s something to think about.

As you are pretty new to this, I would not recommend you start building your own coils. While it can save you money, you’ll need a better understanding of what to build and how to build it safely, which means understanding stuff like how your mod measures resistance. All that is key for safety. I’d take it slow, and if things are going well great. If you get to the point you want to take things further there is lots of info around here about both building your own coils as well as mixing your own juice which is a major money saver.

Ralph_K

ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2018
Smok coils aren't great. I use the x-baby with the T6 .2 ohm coils they claim 40-130w with 70-90w best. Nope 50-60w is the best imo and the coils don't last long. I had bought 4 packs of coils and when these are gone I'm done with Smok. I also have the TFV12 I do not like it. If I ever get another atomizer for drop in coils it will be a Crown 3

assaultshaker

Jan 12, 2018
Smok coils aren't great. I use the x-baby with the T6 .2 ohm coils they claim 40-130w with 70-90w best. Nope 50-60w is the best imo and the coils don't last long. I had bought 4 packs of coils and when these are gone I'm done with Smok. I also have the TFV12 I do not like it. If I ever get another atomizer for drop in coils it will be a Crown 3
Is there a site or some easy-to-tell way to see all compatible coils for a tank? I'm googling coils all morning but the naming scheme for smok makes no sense to me, and I don't know how to begin looking for other brands that are compatible

Reactions: Letitia

Ralph_K

ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2018
Is there a site or some easy-to-tell way to see all compatible coils for a tank? I'm googling coils all morning but the naming scheme for smok makes no sense to me, and I don't know how to begin looking for other brands that are compatible

Your stuck with coils made for that atomizer. If you have the baby beast then you need the coils for it. Will say "V8 Baby" on the box. I have the X-Baby so mine say "V8 X-Baby". I know all this because I bought wrong coils once. The M2, Q2, X4, and T6 are just model M is for mechanical but the number means the amount of coils in the head. I have no idea what the Q, X, and T stand for

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread