A Few Questions for Those that Use Altsmoke and about Battery Chargers/Adapters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryanna

Feb 27, 2013
Southeast Texas
Hey guys! Im trying to place a big order today,getting both the Ego Twists and Spinners from Altsmoke but it doesnt suggest what charger/adapter to buy for them.When I go to the charger section,it gives me 2 different options for the wall adapters - AltSmoke.com | Personal Vaporizers | Electronic Cigarette | Ecigs | | Electronic Cigarette Chargers | Cigarette Electronic Cigarette | Cigarettes Electronic| Cigarette Electronic | Best Electronic Cigarettes | Buy electronic cigarettes - either the Ego C wall adapter or the USB wall plug.I get that I need to buy the Ego series USB battery charger but do I get the Ego C wall adapter or the USB wall plug with it???Im not planning on rapid charging on my computer,so the wall plug is very necessary. Im confused since the Ego Twists are technically Ego-C Twists - that C is throwing me off lol! No specs are listed for the chargers/plugs,otherwise I wouldnt even have to start this thread,as Ive wrote down what I need for Ego battery chargers.

I REALLYYYYY wanted to try and order all of our stuff from ONE place,as opposed to one or two things from 30 different vendors-we cant vape AT ALL on our current setup and its killing us bc we absolutely do not want to smoke anymore AND we've already dropped over $300 this mth on our present, useless vaping supplies.Ive read for literally hrs now on battery chargers and adapters,I now have a major migraine and can still barely understand what everything means - its literally making me nauseous to read any more so Im posting this in pathetic embarrassed desperation,knowing full well that the answer is probably RIGHT in front of my face,so I apologize ahead of time guys:facepalm:

Im almost positive I cant but Im gonna ask anyways just to make sure since I havent fully grasped the whole charger/adapter concept- can I use either of the e-cig usb wall adapters/chargers that I have now??Id hate to waste even MORE money...Ill give yall the specs for each one -

The Wall Adapter/Plug - Input:100-240V-50/60Hz 0.3A, Output:5V (some weird symbol) 1000mA

USB Car Plug - Input: DC 12V-24V, Output DC 5.0V + 5% Max:2000 mA

*I have several other different USB wall/car chargers here at home for various electronic devices,Im hoping I can use atleast one or two of these,but I have no clue what numbers it SHOULDNT exceed.Im so embarassed,its not even funny lol Im usually one smart lil cookie but my brain has officially hit overload after being glued to my computer for literally hrs and hrs a day for the past mth or so.

In case NONE of my wall chargers are compatible -Im putting in a juice order with AVE,they have a wall charger https://www.avejuice.com/wall_charger but all it says is that it works with ANY usb plug. Why doesnt that seem right to me?? I thought I just read dozens of threads that mentioned not going above a certain number on the wall charger so that it doesnt overcharge or short out your battery? Has anyone used that particular wall plug with their spinners or twists? Im afraid of messing up my brand new batteries and/or having them explode!

Thank you soo much to anyone that has the patience to answer me back!

DanFromRioRancho

ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2013
Rio Rancho, New Mexico
Okay.........I'll do my best.

You normally have 3 devices: the battery, a USB cord, and the wall charger (also known as a wall-wart).

Those 3 pieces need to work together with the output of one device matching the input requirement of the connecting device. The USB and the wall-wart should each be stamped with their inputs and outputs, the battery does not. Check with the vendor to find the correct input requirement for your battery.

Those input/output requirements are "chained" together in a continuum. For example:

A typical eGo style battery has an input requirement of 4.2v 420mA
That battery requires a USB with an output of 4.2v 420ma -- using anything else will usually cause you grief.
A typical USB has an output of 4.2v 420ma but an input requirement of 5v 500mA
That USB requires a wall-wart with an output of 5v 500mA -- using anything else will usually cause you grief.
A typical wall-wart has an output of 5v 500mA

The problems arise when your vendor is selling products that are not typical.

When the inputs/outputs are not matched in the chain, you will end up with problems such as premature death of the battery, prolonged periods of time needed to charge the battery, frying the wall-wart, frying the USB, or combinations of those issues.

The answer to your question then is to ignore the "works with any..." claims and find the actual input requirement for battery, ensure that the output of the USB you are considering matches that requirement, find the input requirement for that USB and ensure that the output of the wall-wart you are considering matches that requirement.

Please do not plug your USB directly into your PC USB port until you have done research here on ECF and make your own educated opinion as to whether it is appropriate for you and the equipment you end up buying -- many users have had zero issues, but some have fried their PC's port and/or motherboard

Bryanna

Feb 27, 2013
Southeast Texas
Dan,
Thank you for explaining that in such a simple way - after reading so many threads today about chargers/plugs I was thrown off quite a bit by them not listing the specs.I mean,whos to say they arent just selling "any old thing"? May as well just use any usb charger and wall adapter I already have here,with that kind of thinking.Of course,I dont intend to do that unless they match up with the Ego's requirements but you get my point.

Im stuck,and its driving me crazy.I cant order anything until I make sure its the RIGHT charger/adapters and I still cant figure out if I need the Ego-C one or just the regular usb charger! oh no,I dont plan on charging my battery through my computer AT ALL,if I can help it,possibly frying my usb port or motherboard is so not worth the risk,thats why Im trying so hard to find the right wall wart!Thank you soo much for your help sir!

fourthrok

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
Watertown, NY

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
The Twists and Spinners are happy with a 420 - 450 mA charger. Since all the chargers are USB2, if you don't want to charge via the computer (I agree, generally not a real good idea!), then you need some sort of wall adapter.

The one you say you have is up to the task.

"The Wall Adapter/Plug - Input:100-240V-50/60Hz 0.3A, Output:5V (some weird symbol) 1000mA

USB Car Plug - Input: DC 12V-24V, Output DC 5.0V + 5% Max:2000 mA

*I have several other different USB wall/car chargers here at home for various electronic devices,Im hoping I can use atleast one or two of these,but I have no clue what numbers it SHOULDNT exceed.Im so embarassed,its not even funny lol Im usually one smart lil cookie but my brain has officially hit overload after being glued to my computer for literally hrs and hrs a day for the past mth or so."

Check the tiny label on your other chargers. As long as the Output is greater than the Input on the charger that the battery screws onto, they will be fine.

All USB2 ports are 5 volt DC, and by the standard must be able to provide at least 500mA.

I sometimes use the 120 to USB adapter for my Tablet, as it's label satisfies all the requirements, so the ones you have likely will, too.

Bryanna

Feb 27, 2013
Southeast Texas
Yall are awesome guys THANK YOU!!! Ok PLEASE bare with me for one more question guys,as its late,my migraine is REALLY rockin now and Im about to place my order but I want to be sure first - so Im going to post what I have and what Im ordering JUST to make sure I have understood this correctly - the last thing I want is for my new batteries to fry or fry out my chargers or worse!

Typical Ego battery input is 4.2V 420mA
Buying ego usb charger that says its input is :any standard USB port providing 4.5-6.5V DC at 500 mAh. Output is 4.2V DC at 420 mAh

So that means I can use my current wall wart that is- Input:100-240V - 50/60Hz 0.2A max.Output: 5V (unknown symbol to me) 1A

And use my current Car USB Charger - Input: DC 12V-24V.Output: DC 5.0V +5% Max 2000mA

Is this right? Is anything TOO high? Not high enough? I know yall have to be rolling your eyes by now :oops: but I would rather be safe,put down my pride and ask than be severely sorry!

serenity21899

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2013
Antioch IL
AltSmoke.com | Personal Vaporizers | Electronic Cigarette | Ecigs | eGo-C - USB Wall Adapter - Chargers - Accessories

AltSmoke.com | Personal Vaporizers | Electronic Cigarette | Ecigs | eGo Series - USB Battery Charger - Chargers - Accessories

You need them both if you are going to use the wall charger. The usb connects the ego battery to the wall charger. Those are the correct ones. I bought my ego stuff from them, too.

You can get a car charger at a retail store, since AltSmoke is out of stock right now.

Last edited:

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
Yall are awesome guys THANK YOU!!! Ok PLEASE bare with me for one more question guys,as its late,my migraine is REALLY rockin now and Im about to place my order but I want to be sure first - so Im going to post what I have and what Im ordering JUST to make sure I have understood this correctly - the last thing I want is for my new batteries to fry or fry out my chargers or worse!

Typical Ego battery input is 4.2V 420mA
Buying ego usb charger that says its input is :any standard USB port providing 4.5-6.5V DC at 500 mAh. Output is 4.2V DC at 420 mAh

So that means I can use my current wall wart that is- Input:100-240V - 50/60Hz 0.2A max.Output: 5V (unknown symbol to me) 1A

And use my current Car USB Charger - Input: DC 12V-24V.Output: DC 5.0V +5% Max 2000mA

Is this right? Is anything TOO high? Not high enough? I know yall have to be rolling your eyes by now :oops: but I would rather be safe,put down my pride and ask than be severely sorry!

Yes.
Your current wall wart is 1A, i.e. 1000 mA, output, and will drive the eGo charger nicely.
Your current car adapter is 2000 mA, and will also work fine with the eGo charger.

And you DO need the eGo charger that has an output of 420 mA, which your battery will screw into, and which will plug into either of your current USB adapters.

Bryanna

Feb 27, 2013
Southeast Texas
Maybe I should reword that LOL didnt mean to give the impression that I wasnt getting the USB charger,but now that Ive went back and read it,thats kind of what it sounds like I was implying.What I was saying is that Im not going to be using the computer to charge my battery,so getting a wall adapter AS WELL was absolutely imperative,not that I was going to bypass the usb charger all together.No biggie though,just wanted to clarify that so that I didnt come off as a COMPLETE idiot,lol!!

Thank you so so much everyone for helping me with this,Im a stay at home mother who only works pretty much when I have the free time to do so,so Ive literally taken almost the entire last mth off bc Ive been GLUED to ECF,trying to figure everything out and absorb as much as I can.Unfortunately,we have NO ONE that we can turn for vaping info/questions,so we are completely reliant on google and this forum to school us on everything.Which means Im literally on here several hours a day looking up what new questions we have for each day and now unfortunately my brain has said "ENOUGH!!!" All systems are on overload at the moment :shock:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread