A horrible thing has happened (Pluid related)

Status
Not open for further replies.

UncleChuck

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
Portland
So... any of you guys ever drink way too much of a certain liquor, get horribly ill, and then long afterward not able to even smell that same liquor/scent without gagging?

I love Pluid, ever since first trying it I've always had at least one tank full of it on a PV, one of my ADVs. Now I gag just smelling it, and forget actually taking a vape, I nearly threw up last night trying.

So if you aren't following, Pluid has a strong Anise flavor, and Absinthe is also strongly flavored with Anise. My mind has condemned me to hate Pluid now against my wishes, in addition to having three (expensive) bottles of juice sitting around I can't use anymore.

I've been googling like mad trying to find out a way to make my mind disassociate the taste of Pluid with my experience getting ill off Absinthe to no avail. I guess this is really more of a psychology question than a vaping one, but does anyone know of anything or way to fix this problem? I'm sure it's a long shot, but maybe some crazy old-timer way I'd never thought of.

I actually found some info about how your mind associates things with other things, which influences your desires. It's so odd, I still love the flavor of pluid, but it just literally make me sick to vape it (or even smell it) One thing I read (not related to vaping obviously) was to get a massage while exposing yourself to the scent (I believe the article was about someone who couldn't tolerate workplace smells due to some childhood experiences or something) The idea being that your mind would eventually associate pleasure with that smell instead of anything negative.

I'm not a psychologist so I have no idea how legitimate that idea is, nor does it matter anyway as I have nobody to give me a massage while I vape (sadface) but I'm hoping someone could share some ideas if they have any. The brute force approach (continually trying to vape pluid and fight through the nausea) isn't working and seems to be increasing its negative effect on me.

I know this sounds trivial but I love this juice, I want to be able to vape it again! Plus I don't want to waste a bunch of juice.

Thanks for any help!

UncleChuck

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
Portland
Im sorry i didn't read ur post but what is this pluid everyones talking about? im too lazy to google.

From the OP:

So if you aren't following, Pluid has a strong Anise flavor, and Absinthe is also strongly flavored with Anise.

Anise taste like black licorice, Pluid also has some citrus flavors. Not for everybody, kind of a love it or hate it type of thing. I had a few friends taste some of mine, on promptly ordered a bottle online and the other one hated it.

UncleChuck

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
Portland
I had food poisoning as a kid. There was a death-by-chocolate dessert in the fridge at the time. That's not the food that made me sick, but to this day I associate it with nausea. Sorry I can't be more helpful!

I'm glad someone else can relate, nausea is a strong thing to overcome. There are a few foods I can't eat as well due to some liver problems I had several years ago that caused a month plus worth of nausea and vomiting. It sucks! I want a pill to take that will wipe such memories from my mind.

flintlock62

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 2, 2012
Arkansas Delta
If you decide not to vape your Pluid any longer, don't throw it away, sell it, or donate it to another fellow vapor.

So... any of you guys ever drink way too much of a certain liquor, get horribly ill, and then long afterward not able to even smell that same liquor/scent without gagging?

I love Pluid, ever since first trying it I've always had at least one tank full of it on a PV, one of my ADVs. Now I gag just smelling it, and forget actually taking a vape, I nearly threw up last night trying.

So if you aren't following, Pluid has a strong Anise flavor, and Absinthe is also strongly flavored with Anise. My mind has condemned me to hate Pluid now against my wishes, in addition to having three (expensive) bottles of juice sitting around I can't use anymore.

I've been googling like mad trying to find out a way to make my mind disassociate the taste of Pluid with my experience getting ill off Absinthe to no avail. I guess this is really more of a psychology question than a vaping one, but does anyone know of anything or way to fix this problem? I'm sure it's a long shot, but maybe some crazy old-timer way I'd never thought of.

I actually found some info about how your mind associates things with other things, which influences your desires. It's so odd, I still love the flavor of pluid, but it just literally make me sick to vape it (or even smell it) One thing I read (not related to vaping obviously) was to get a massage while exposing yourself to the scent (I believe the article was about someone who couldn't tolerate workplace smells due to some childhood experiences or something) The idea being that your mind would eventually associate pleasure with that smell instead of anything negative.

I'm not a psychologist so I have no idea how legitimate that idea is, nor does it matter anyway as I have nobody to give me a massage while I vape (sadface) but I'm hoping someone could share some ideas if they have any. The brute force approach (continually trying to vape pluid and fight through the nausea) isn't working and seems to be increasing its negative effect on me.

I know this sounds trivial but I love this juice, I want to be able to vape it again! Plus I don't want to waste a bunch of juice.

Thanks for any help!

lasttango

What would Freud say?
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2010
Wilmington, DE / Ithaca, NY
www.last.fm
to this day, phil collins brings me a terrible migraine - thats what happens when you listen to the new genesis album with a terrible concussion... 1981... nerf football collision... 5th grade...

Psychologically speaking... you would have to make an intentional effort to re-associate that flavor with good things...

UncleChuck

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
Portland
If you decide not to vape your Pluid any longer, don't throw it away, sell it, or donate it to another fellow vapor.

Yeah I don't plan on throwing it away, I'll keep it for awhile longer, in the meantime I plan to give away a bit to someone I'm shipping a package too, but unfortunately can't sell it as I can't access the classifieds, and won't, as I cannot meet any of the verification requirements. I just worry how long Pluid keeps before "going bad" if that even happens. It's sitting happily in a cool dark place so hopefully awhile.

I was actually considering selling it locally on craigslist, along with a few other things, but figure nobody here would likely even know what pluid is. Oh well.

I have a few plans to try to get myself to tolerate the flavor again, involving methods to ease the sick feeling by ways best left untold on this forum, so hopefully that will do the trick, although I'm not terribly hopeful.

I'm surprised there are so many people here who have this issue (albeit with food not juice) I had no idea it was so common. Another one for me was redbul, after having too many jagger bombs one night, and puking like a madman, redbull literally smelled like vomit to me, so incredibly odd how our minds work. Luckily I got over that one, I love some jagger bombs. And oddly enough jagger doesn't gross me out at all, even though it too has that black licorice flavor.

Murdock Ruml

Supplier's Manufacturer - Offline
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2010
Alaska
I'll take the absinth off you hands if you still got it.

Please tell me you were not doing shots of absinth. That will get you sick quick. You're supposed to cut it down. If you were doing shots of absinth, maybe try preparing it correctly and having like 1-2 glasses a day. Thus convincing your mind that that absinth is not that bad.

UncleChuck

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
Portland

Please tell me you were not doing shots of absinth. That will get you sick quick. You're supposed to cut it down. If you were doing shots of absinth, maybe try preparing it correctly and having like 1-2 glasses a day. Thus convincing your mind that that absinth is not that bad.

Oh no no no, no shots were taken! I have a proper glass, dripping spoon, and purchased sugar cubes for the first time in my life. I dripped slowly over the sugar cube and all that good stuff, if I had to guess I'd say it was about 50/50 water/absinthe.

It was St George brand, no idea if that's decent stuff or not, it's what the liquor store guy suggested. The only reason I got so sick is I already drank a ton of delicious craft brew before starting in on the Absinthe, and didn't really realize how strong a "prepared" absinthe would be, I was drinking them like standard mixed drinks when it was close to the strength of straight liquor even with the water, I believe the ST George stuff is like 60% abv, which I realized too late.

Totally my fault, I think Absinthe is best reserved for calm evenings on the couch not partying on the weekend. It probably didn't help that I was vaping Pluid at the same time as drinking the Absinthe, although it was a wonderful combo.

I might give your idea a try, maybe make an extremely watered down mix so as to not have too much flavor or alcohol, and slowly get used to the flavor again. I can tolerate drinking something that I'm adverse to far more than vaping something I'm adverse to, so that might do the trick.

sawlight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2009
Kansas

:laugh: You go Murdock!
Frigging kids! "Go big, or go home!" I remember the days! All to well unfortunately! First, give a week or so, I remember my first shot of liquid "white powder" as a shot! WOW!! I've downed three wise men like they were nothing, but that shot, OH MAN!!! Jaggermiester, Goldshlagger and Bacardi 151, three shots, one glass! Don't try this at home kids! It'll kill you!
So anyway, wait a week, maybe even two, get a case of beer you like, A LOT! Me, Coors light was always a "go to", and a SMALL bottle of Jaggermiester. Put the Jagg in the freezer a day or two ahead of time, and get the beer as cold as you possibly can without freezing it. After about 3 beers, take a HALF a shot of the Jagg, couple more beers, another HALF shot of Jagg., then put the Jagg away, give it to a buddy, have your buddies do shots, whatever, but DO NOT drink anymore of it! Sip on your beer and have a good night. If you have a hangover, it's from the beer now, not my fault! But this will get you over the stigma!
The horse throws you off, you got to get back on and ride it! Either you break it, or it breaks you! Welcome to the beginning's of lots of stupid ideas to come in the future! Trust me, I've been there, done that!

UncleChuck

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
Portland
:laugh: You go Murdock!
Frigging kids! "Go big, or go home!" I remember the days! All to well unfortunately! First, give a week or so, I remember my first shot of liquid "white powder" as a shot! WOW!! I've downed three wise men like they were nothing, but that shot, OH MAN!!! Jaggermiester, Goldshlagger and Bacardi 151, three shots, one glass! Don't try this at home kids! It'll kill you!
So anyway, wait a week, maybe even two, get a case of beer you like, A LOT! Me, Coors light was always a "go to", and a SMALL bottle of Jaggermiester. Put the Jagg in the freezer a day or two ahead of time, and get the beer as cold as you possibly can without freezing it. After about 3 beers, take a HALF a shot of the Jagg, couple more beers, another HALF shot of Jagg., then put the Jagg away, give it to a buddy, have your buddies do shots, whatever, but DO NOT drink anymore of it! Sip on your beer and have a good night. If you have a hangover, it's from the beer now, not my fault! But this will get you over the stigma!
The horse throws you off, you got to get back on and ride it! Either you break it, or it breaks you! Welcome to the beginning's of lots of stupid ideas to come in the future! Trust me, I've been there, done that!

That's another method I had thought about, just drinking small amounts of absinthe between beers, a sip or two at most. It seems rather backwards but my stomach is stronger while drinking, after a few beers I can drink almost anything without issue, which is probably what got me into this trouble in the first place.

I feel I need to actively make myself used to the flavor again, as time hasn't healed most of the aversions I've accumulated over time. I remember when I was younger I'd go to the movies with a few friends, and we'd pass around a half gallon of whiskey and finish it before the movie was out, 5-6 years later I still can't drink wiskey straight, I want some Gold label Jameson damnit. Actually I did drink some at a friend's wedding, although I don't remember much about that night to tell if I enjoyed it or not ;)

If nothing else, this thread should show how great Pluid is, I wouldn't go to the trouble to acclimate myself to the flavor of most any other juice if I was experiencing this issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread