A Little on the thin side

Status
Not open for further replies.

kas122461

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 15, 2013
Indiana, USA
As for the other question, I'm not into cloud chasing either. So should I up the VG and decide to go with lots of vapor?

I have always mixed at 50/50, and it is not cloud chasing. Maybe if you mixed it at 70 VG then yeah, but not 50/50. Just my :2c:.

:)
KAS

DanR

ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2018
Someplace in SC
I use pipettes for my drops. I guess I should measure and see excatly how many drops equal 1ML. I would agree with dc99. However, with store purchase juice, too much cloud equal piss off wife because of the smoke in the house. I usually vape alot when playing my computer game and sitting watching TV. Besides all that VG residue gets on my face and glasses. This is the reason why I don't want to much VG in my juice, but yet thick enough to vape.

On that note, I have some NET brewing in the desk that I have to shake.

I guess I use what the cal. says to deal with and that's it. Thanks All.

Reactions: stols001

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
Why .88? Was it the drink that decided (LOL)? But on the flip side, I use eJuice Me Up and it's still thin. Gosh, no stright answers here :(.
Why .88? Because that was what you quoted in your original post:
Anyway, if the juice calls for 2.88 ML or 45 drops, I put in 2 ML of VG and then 5 drops. Is this correct?
There are a couple of errors happening here.
1.) The actual number from your later screen shot, appears to be 2.38mL or 48 drops:
upload_2018-4-16_17-58-6.png

2.) Your calculator is set to 20 drops = 1mL. As I understand you; you are measuring out (by volume) 2mL, and wanting to add the remainder by counting drops. 0.38mL is the same as 38% of a mL. 38% of 20 drops (1mL) is 7.6 drops. You decide if you want to round up, or down, to the nearest drop.

You can confirm this by looking at total drops.
20 drops (1mL) + 20 drops (1mL) + 8 drops (0.40mL) = 2.40mL ≈ 2.38mL.

I am another DIYer, who has never had my actual drops equal 20/mL, when I have checked (and one reason I won't use drops as a measuring method). I know what a hassle trying to read those tiny graduations on a 1mL syringe can be; so I would just shoot for the .39mL mark (or even .4) and call it good. It is going to be "as close," or closer than counting inaccurate drops in my opinion.

Regarding the general thickness of your recipe; I wouldn't be concerned, unless you have flooding issues. You are all good if you like the way it vapes. If flooding is an issue; then going to a thicker (higher VG) ratio might help. I would suggest making small batches, increasing the VG by 10% each time, until it was thick enough to no longer leak.

As for how it compares to what you are getting from your local vape shop; you might want to double check. I imagine you are correct, but stock/off-the-shelf 70PG/30VG is not very common these days (high VG is much more popular). Also, many shops and manufacturers have recently started displaying the PG/VG ratios backwards... "VG/PG" is now at least as common as "PG/VG" (much to my own annoyance;)).

DanR

ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2018
Someplace in SC
Well IDJoel, you hit everything on the head about my juice. I guess I have nothing to worry about, and continue on marching with what I'm doing, and for your comment I'm happy and thank you. I guess I'm going to have to go to 50 50 and then see how that is. Hey IDJoel, can I ask how you test your batches? I make a 10ML bottle, let it sit for a day, and the fill up my 3.5ML tank. If I like it, then I'll go to 30ml with notes that is. But question is, is there something smaller that I can get because a 3.5ML tank? Something that will hold maybe less than a ml, vape and make changes then?
Thanks

dc99

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 17, 2014
earth
If you really want to know what your juice will taste like when you vape it you pretty much have to try it in the tank you normally use. It will taste a little different in everything. I test flavors in a Hadaly RDA but I test my recipes in my favorite tank. I know it s...s but thats the only way to truly know what it will taste like to you.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
Hey IDJoel, can I ask how you test your batches? I make a 10ML bottle, let it sit for a day, and the fill up my 3.5ML tank. If I like it, then I'll go to 30ml with notes that is. But question is, is there something smaller that I can get because a 3.5ML tank? Something that will hold maybe less than a ml, vape and make changes then?
I test mostly in the same manner. The big difference is I don't fill it up.;) Depending on how "ready" I am expecting it to be; I find 0.25 to 0.50mL is more than adequate to let me know how it is progressing (just enough to cover the juice inlet holes). The only pain in the rear, is when the flavor I'm wanting to test, is significantly different than what was previously in the tank. Then the previous flavor will corrupt my tasting efforts. That means I need to first change wicks.

If the flavor is close/similar; I can just vape half a mL of unflavored (PG, VG, and with or without nic... no flavor concentrates), and that "washes" the wick well enough for this lazy person's needs.:D

I know many use drippers (RDAs)... as @dc99 said; they require little liquid, and are easy to re-wick. But, also as they said; the flavor will not be the same... and why I don't use them frequently for testing. Test vaping, in the device you expect to be using most, is still the best/most informative feedback for me.

If you are going to be doing a lot of recipe testing, having one or more of the same tank, can make life easier. Some will dedicate specific tanks to specific flavor profiles (this one for mints; that one for tobaccos; another for bakeries, etc.). Others, simply have one earmarked as a "tester," and re-wick between tests. Just having that one extra makes life easier (for me), as I don't have to think about finishing/draining my daily-use tank, before I can vape test my latest concoction. I also have something I can vape on while I am re-wicking.:D

If you are using a tank that uses drop-in coils/coil-heads; you can dedicate different coil-heads to different recipes. Store them in a small zip-lock baggy, or other small airtight container, and use whenever you want to vape that recipe. A quick rinse of the tank, drop in the appropriate coil-head, and you are off to the races.

DanR

ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2018
Someplace in SC
I guess I have one more question, and that is, I have some juice I made. MMMMMMM Apple Pie. I also have some NET Juice (Tobacco), the question is (which I'm sure it's okay), can I add them both together? I'm about 99.0% sure I can, but I figure I would ask. P.S. Your not the only one lazy.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
I guess I have one more question, and that is, I have some juice I made. MMMMMMM Apple Pie. I also have some NET Juice (Tobacco), the question is (which I'm sure it's okay), can I add them both together? I'm about 99.0% sure I can, but I figure I would ask. P.S. Your not the only one lazy.
You sure can.:thumb:

If the nicotine concentrations, and the PG/VG ratios are the same for both recipes, then you can combine the two recipes... in any amounts, with out changing the concentration or ratio. If either, or both (nic; PG/VG) are different, then the result will end up somewhere in between the two different values. "Where" between the two; will depend on their individual values, and how much of each you add.:D

• Agree
Reactions: stols001
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread