A little overwhelmed but not stopping!

Status
Not open for further replies.

shatteredsoul76

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Jul 23, 2014
    Portland, TN, USA
    I work on a 5 man team in a receiving department, another co-worker had been vaping for awhile before I started 2 months ago, in the last few weeks the other 3 team members have also converted over from smoking cigarettes to vaping. After seeing all of us vaping away on every break as well as talking about how much we like it another guy in receiving just starting vaping today and another has expressed interest in vaping as well.

Im by no means an expert at vaping but out of all of us I spend the most time reading and learning whats good/bad and what works and dont(thanks to ECF members) and because of this everyone has relied on me for help ,guidance as well as to actually order vape gear for them and they pay me back. A few of the guys dont have internet or debit cards,Paypal accounts etc.

Im also currently helping 2 of them to learn how to build their own coils on a mech and Kayfun but Im also building Kanger coils for the other guys. I bring them in juice when needed as well, all free of charge and Im not charging a penny more for anything I have bought to re-sell to any of them. I basically help them figure out what they want and try to pick it up for them at the best deal such as the $20 MVP 2 I got on the ECF classies.

I dont mind spending my time or money to help any of them out as I know it is getting them and keeping them off cigarettes and that is priceless in my book. My only problem is its really hard for me to keep up with everyone and everything vape related as I also have myself and my wife vape gear to maintain. It is a little overwhelming since its all pretty much happened the last few weeks and seems to be picking up steam among other workers in the facility.

I will do my best to keep up with everything and encourage as many folks as I can to convert over to vaping as well, sorry to be so long winded but needed to get all of that out and hopefully some of my fellow ECF vapers can relate. Happy Vaping! :vapor:

shatteredsoul76

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Jul 23, 2014
    Portland, TN, USA
    Thanks Tow, thats kind of what Im doing he just started building his own coils for a KF yesterday for his own use but its a start. I take my building supplies to work and show them what I can on breaks and lunch. We were able to build 3 Kanger coil heads and a Omega dripper last thursday, today we re-built the Omega, should have seen the build the B&M sent him out the door with when he bought it.

This actually reminds me of my group of friends, we've all smoked for years and I start vaping, even when all I had was a little cigalike from greensmoke, my friends took note and got interested. They too started off with greensmoke cause of the 1$ kit thing, and now we plan trips to our local vape shop. However, one of them is still smoking only because he's lazy and didn't get a cigalike or anything but we're working on him.

eyerhere

ECF Veteran
    Oct 7, 2013
    Warren Mi
    See what happens to good guys. What you need to do is stop doing things that they can learn. Teach them how to do it themselves. After all if they wont do it for themselves why should you do it for them. And when it comes to buying vape gear for them you are asking for nothing but trouble. It is just like loaning money to a friend. Usually works out but when it goes bad it goes very bad. Then you are out money and stuck with that person all day every day.

amurphy

Jul 26, 2014
    Austin, TX, USA
    just wanted to throw in my two cents, but i wanted to ask something, and hopefully my response will make sense, since there is part of your post that i don't understand.

do you flat out pay for all of their stuff? or, when you said "free of charge", you mean, you don't make them pay for the time/gas you spent getting them their stuff?

i would agree with a previous post, that if you are in fact buying them their gear, and giving it to them for free (i find this unlikely but my answer is based on that assumption haha), it's a slippery slope. the day you get tired of spending money of them and spending your break time rebuilding for them, they're going to be ticked off. they will have grown accustomed to your generosity, and when you get tired of it, they will feel like you are taking away something from them.

i totally understand trying to help people get into vaping and getting them the correct information; i'm the same way. however, if you're doing all this for free, and you really have a passion and skill for rebuilding, i personally believe that they should tip you for it or do something to show the gratitude. coil building has a pretty steep learning curve in my opinion, and it requires patience and skill. and you've spent the time to master that skill, i assume.

i know this is the longest single post in ecf history, but i have a story that will hopefully justify my stance on this.

i was sitting in my local b&m one day, just talkin', takin' it easy. a woman walks in with what i recognized as a vanilla mod and a tobh. pretty nice setup, right? i wanted to confirm that it was a vanilla, so i asked her. her response "i have no idea". she didn't know ANYTHING about her setup. she didn't know the battery type, the name of the mod or atty, and she wasn't rebuilding. so, the owner of the store (who for some unimaginable reason) has little to no experience in rebuildables, told her to come back later when another employee would be there. i said, "no need, i can help". so i'm offering to help her, save her time. she looks at me skeptically, and hesitantly hands me her mod. i take everything apart (based on her explanation, it sounded like a short was occurring). the mod was very dirty, so i did the best i could with a dry paper towel. i look at the atty next. the screws in the posts weren't tightened down more than halfway. they were, as an experienced rda user would see it, essentially wide open. so i tightened those down, and rewicked her coils per her request. i hand it back to her, she doesn't even look at me. she says goodbye to the shop owner, and leaves. not even a thank you to me. i'm a fellow customer, that just offered to help. if she hadn't come into the shop, it was a matter of about three button presses before the batteries vented. i'm not saying i helped her in the hopes of getting something in return, but a thank you would have been nice. if someone had helped me like that when i was starting out, i would have offered to buy their bottle of juice for them, or tipped them, or something.

so to round off this ridiculously long post, i'll leave it at this:

helping people is awesome. i love helping people, and i honestly admire your generosity, with your time and money. but there is a limit. coil building is an art that takes time to perfectly. how many artists give away their work for free? not too many, i would assume.

Mia11

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 6, 2014
    Michigan
    i was sitting in my local b&m one day, just talkin', takin' it easy. a woman walks in with what i recognized as a vanilla mod and a tobh. pretty nice setup, right? i wanted to confirm that it was a vanilla, so i asked her. her response "i have no idea". she didn't know ANYTHING about her setup. she didn't know the battery type, the name of the mod or atty, and she wasn't rebuilding. so, the owner of the store (who for some unimaginable reason) has little to no experience in rebuildables, told her to come back later when another employee would be there. i said, "no need, i can help". so i'm offering to help her, save her time. she looks at me skeptically, and hesitantly hands me her mod. i take everything apart (based on her explanation, it sounded like a short was occurring). the mod was very dirty, so i did the best i could with a dry paper towel. i look at the atty next. the screws in the posts weren't tightened down more than halfway. they were, as an experienced rda user would see it, essentially wide open. so i tightened those down, and rewicked her coils per her request. i hand it back to her, she doesn't even look at me. she says goodbye to the shop owner, and leaves. not even a thank you to me. i'm a fellow customer, that just offered to help. if she hadn't come into the shop, it was a matter of about three button presses before the batteries vented. i'm not saying i helped her in the hopes of getting something in return, but a thank you would have been nice. if someone had helped me like that when i was starting out, i would have offered to buy their bottle of juice for them, or tipped them, or something.

so to round off this ridiculously long post, i'll leave it at this:

helping people is awesome. i love helping people, and i honestly admire your generosity, with your time and money. but there is a limit. coil building is an art that takes time to perfectly. how many artists give away their work for free? not too many, i would assume.

It makes me angry that there are such rude, self-entitled people like the one you unfortunately met. Some people I would like to give a swift hard kick in the rear.

Krashman Von Stinkputin

ECF Veteran
    Dec 31, 2013
    Missouri
    Great work! It's rewarding to help other folks kick the nasty smoking habit.

Yesterday was my 1 year without a smoke day.
    I've often wondered how I a 30 year "Professional Smoker and Master of the Craft" who LOVED smoking was able to quit.

Of course part of that was I knew I NEEDED (not necessarily wanted) to quit, I also promised my young son I would (and I intended to keep that promise.)
    The amazing thing was that it was easy (yes EASY) for me thanks to ecigs. I did it in 2 1//2 weeks and haven't looked back.

Why was I successful while others are not? (BTW: My wife still smokes a PAD)
    Though every addiction treatment program is different in certain specifics they all have one thing in common: SUPPORT.
    My support came through Youtubers like (PB, GG, RT, etc) and these forums. They made me interested in my options, the industry, the regulatory aspects, etc.

Sounds like you have a support group of your own at your work. You are all encouraging each other with your collective success.
    Perhaps you could take them all out for "happy hour" at a local vape shop and begin to wean them off your "teat"
    Turn it into the "Shipping Room Vapor's Club"
    Pool your money. Consider group buys.
    Trade gear. Trade juice.
    As others have said "teach them to fish"

It's in all your best interests to keep your victory going.
    But you definitely shouldn't shoulder all the cost.

shatteredsoul76

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Jul 23, 2014
    Portland, TN, USA
    Im not the best at writing down what is bouncing around in brain and some of what I posted didnt come out right. Im not buying vape gear for them per say as they pay me back when stuff I order comes in. I only buy online since we live in a small town and unfortunately the 2 B&M shops we have are simply way overpriced which isnt appealing to a smoker simply thinking about quitting and may not like vaping.I have given them a few tanks,juice and some coils and I do use Kanthal and rayon that I bought but that stuff is pretty cheap and goes a long way.

It was also brought to my attention that buying things from the classies here for someone else thats not an ECF member is frowned upon. I just wanted to say that my co-worker didnt even know that I had bought the MVP off here and had simply stated that he had heard they were good devices beforehand. After I got it he asked me if I would sell it to him so he could sell another co-worker his spinner which I did for the same price I got it for. It was a great deal and I would have just kept it myself if he didnt ask me. I had bought a Spinner II thinking my wife would love it, she puffed on it for a few seconds and didnt like it so I sold it to another guy for cost.

So the only things I have spent my own money on was the Kanthal, rayon, juice, tanks, and some coils which hasnt been all that much to see all of them happliy vaping. Thanks for taking the time to read my post and for the feedback, Im trying to teach them how to fish with what I have learned so far myself.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread