Status
Not open for further replies.

Vwls

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2013
AZ
The PlasmAir rebuildable tank atomizer is a joint venture featuring the dazzling artisanal glass work of Trippy Tips’ Bert Langan, and a modified svoemesto Kayfun base. This RTA is the brainchild of David Cherry and James Barron, two American vapers who were inspired by the beauty of the Plasma and a keen perception of the evolving vape industry. Their mission was to pair one of the most stunning tanks ever made with an air & liquid flow system that would satisfy lung hitters without deviating from the use of authentic parts. The question all lung-hitters are asking is… Did they accomplish it? Read on, as this OG lung-hitter tells all.

1_zpsvovnn9xd.jpg

PlasmAir on champagne Caravela

Background
I became aware of the PlasmAir project when I tripped over a photo of the Plasma tank online and fell in love. This should not surprise anyone who knows me from the forums. I’ve always been an admirer of beautiful, shiny things… not to mention a bit of a glass fanatic. (I’m like a raccoon – if it’s pretty, translucent, and sparkly, you can bet it’s on its way to my rodent nest……... Oh. My daughter has just informed me that a raccoon is not a rodent. It’s a Procyonidae. So yeah. That kind of nest.) :rolleyes:

Anyway I digress. Long-time fan of Trippy Tips and Langan, but the Plasma surpassed anything I’d seen and I knew I had to have it… Even though it was designed to fit on a Kayfun.

2_zpsejycwr7p.jpg

Yes it’s that pretty. This is the photo that started it all for me.

Now, here’s the thing. I don’t use Kayfuns. They are great RTAs, sure: high quality, rebuildable (a must for advanced vapers), great flavor (chimney design = ideal reduced chamber), perfect for out and about (large tank capacity – no need to drip), and even leak proof (mostly). You can also ‘prettify’ them with all sorts of open source, after-market tank and chimney options. But bottom line - we all know they are made for mouth-to-lung inhales. For a vaper like me, hitting a Kayfun is like trying to suck a milkshake through a coffee stirrer. I tried one once and after three minutes, had it up for sale in the ECF Classifieds.

Never-the-less, I had heard there were some home modifications for Kayfun air canals (thank you YouTube) and I’m a girl with a power tools. So I wrote to Langan and asked for a tank. He not only sold me one, but introduced me to Barron as well when I mentioned I was going to buy a used Kayfun base and do obscene things to it with my drill.

Turned out meeting Barron was just what the doctor ordered. He shared with me that I wasn’t the only one looking to increase air flow on an authentic Kayfun base in order to make Langan’s masterpiece an airier experience (or as Barron says, “more appealing to vapers who have evolved beyond what the Kayfun Lite+ offers.” Well yeah. Pretty sure I evolved like that in my second week of vaping.) :p But apparently he and Cherry were hard at work re-engineering the Kayfun Lite+ v2’s stock air and liquid flow capabilities in what Barron calls “an intelligent and balanced way to meet specific expectations, while demanding the work was of the same high quality as the existing components.” These modders mean serious business, obv. But I was intrigued. Basically all the modifications he was talking about were being done using precision CNC mill production – and the end product is a unique pairing of the Plasma tank with a value-added base that’s been as artfully designed as its topper.

Perfect! When can I have one!!??! (Eager-beaver vape mantra. Or in this case, eager-raccoon.) :w00t: As with all good things in the vape world, there was a wait involved. In the meantime, I did modify my own Kayfun base for my Plasma Mini, but I‘ll tell that comical story later. Right now, let me detail what Barron and Cherry have created, as I was lucky enough to receive a first-run model.

Overall Assessment
Easy to build, fill and re-fill. Produces a nice amount of vapor – flavor is lovely. Looks like a movie star.

Building and Vaping
OK, on to details. I like a pretty robust vape… not hot per se, but definitely warm, dense, and billowy on the exhale. Now for those of you who are into nickel on temp control devices, a recommended build for the PlasmAir is a 7/6 wrap of 30ga twisted Ni200 (spaced, not tension), metering 0.13 ohms. But nickel and I don’t play well together, so for my first PlasmAir adventure, I went with a somewhat traditional Kayfun build: an 8/7 tension wrap (all wraps touching) of Kanthal A-1, wrapped on a 3/32” mandrill. It metered at ~1 ohm. I wicked it with Fiber Freaks and wet everything down well with juice. My plan was to vape it on a regulated mod with high VG juice (80/20 VG/PG), and crank it up to about 30 watts.

3_zpsfbb1vnfo.jpg

Filling the PlasmAir – no need for a syringe.
4_zps2hmuplmk.jpg

I wasn’t able to vape it on a Zero Mod with the traditional tension-wrapped 1 ohm Kanthal coil higher than 20 watts– tasted slightly burnt. Cranked it back down to 18 watts and it was dreamy. Obviously this was a matter of build, not hardware.

Another recommended build I have yet to try is the following: 0.4 mm twisted titanium wrapped around a 3mm mandrill (5/4 wrap). Meters at .22 ohms and can be vaped at 40 watts (temp control) with considerable cloud production.

Pros
The PlasmAir is undeniably gorgeous, flavorful, and just airy enough to lung-hit. It’s a great RTA for those who want glass, a high end artisanal look, an authentic Kayfun base, and increased air (without having to whip out a drill in your garage).

Is it as airy as a dripping atty or a sub ohm tank? No. But you can lung-inhale, and you can definitely produce some decent clouds. I have ventured down to 0.8 ohms with Kanthal for an increase in vapor production, and the glass never gets hot. From what I’ve seen, creative coiling works well in the PlasmAir on temperature controlled devices. (The possibilities get more diverse when you’re using nickel or titanium.)

Flavor wise, I do notice a tiny reduction in intensity compared to a standard Kayfun chimney, but it’s a very slight margin and not enough to decrease my rating (happy to make that trade-off to get this stunning all-glass look).

For an overall balance of beauty, graceful elegance, vapor production, air and flavor, this tank is unrivaled. Every time I look at it, I fall in love all over again. It’s just that striking.

A note on durability: the PlasmAir is as high quality as it comes, but it is made of Pyrex glass. This is not a ‘beater’ RTA to bring to the construction site, throw in a metal lunch box, or carry in a shirt pocket while you’re working. (Unless you sit in an office chair all day typing on a computer. If that’s the case, go for it). Common sense – you’ll want to baby this one. But for glass, it’s solid and tough. I put it in my purse and take it with me in the car all the time and it’s no worse for the wear. :banana:

Cons
I have very few criticisms of this atty, but I’ll include them here. The air flow on the PlasmAir base is equivalent to a home-modded base using the Avid Vaper center pin (I should mention though that the PlasmAir base is much nicer to look at than the one you mod yourself). But yes, it’s still going to be a little tight for some vapers – I find myself wishing it had just a touch more air. This seems to remain a challenge in the industry; 528 Vapes makes a modded base that has a crap-load of air and wicks like a demon, but it’s TOO MUCH air for me, and can’t be adjusted. To date, there’s not been anything in a Kayfun base that enables true air CONTROL across a wide enough spectrum to please all vapers. I’m actually hoping that the PlasmAir team keeps tweaking their specs as the product evolves with this goal in mind. V2 anyone? :pop:

Another con, depending on your viewpoint and economic level, is the price. At $190 plus shipping, this is a true high end piece that likely won’t be justifiable for the average vaper. However, when you consider that the glass is hand blown by an artist, and every base is a genuine SvoëMesto expertly modified to a precise specification on a CNC mill, you’ll realize that the price tag is warranted. This is not a mass-production item; it’s going to appeal to collectors and high end buyers.

Lastly, and this is not really a criticism so much as a wish list: I’d like to see a slightly smaller (shorter) version with a shorter drip tip as well, since I prefer a low-profile atty. I’d be willing to give up some of the liquid capacity for that aesthetic. Happily, I have heard that sizing variations are under consideration for future batches, so we may see custom size and shape (as well as color) options coming soon.

I’m happy to answer any questions about this lovely piece of kit.

Here are some photos I snapped these last few weeks.

No dry hits ever.
5%20no%20dry%20hits%20ever_zpspmqzfwut.jpg

Begs to have its picture taken.
6%20begs_zpsnyz9ijtz.jpg

No leaks.
7%20no%20leaks_zpsxsaplazo.jpg

Looks great on a tube - looks great on a regulated.
8%20looks%20great%20on_zpsypxmpsdw.jpg

9%20looks%20great%20on%202_zpssf2nnxfs.jpg

Exceptionally well made.
10%20Exceptionably%20well%20made_zpsl9mkly6w.jpg

Match the liquid to the mod!
11%20Match%20the%20liquid%20to%20the%20mod_zpsssliuho0.jpg

What if…
12%20What%20%20If_zpsnva1bvsx.jpg

Overall Evaluation
Quality 10/10
Machining 10/10
Aesthetics 10/10
Design 8/10
Air Control 6/10
Vapor Production 7/10
Flavor 8/10
Compatibility with your favorite mod 10/10
Pricing and availability 6/10

Where to buy
PlasmAirvape.com
Facebook.com/PlasmAirvape
Twitter.com/PlasmAirvape
PlasmAir@yahoo.com

Specs (from the website)
Kayfun Lite+ v2
CNC modifications:
~ Two additional air pathways in base for total of 5mm (twice the Avid Vaper center post opening) to promote ‘Venturi effect’
~ Upper deck wick channels widened and deepened
~ Lower deck channels mirror upper width, but minimal depth work as to reduce likelihood of leaking at tank threads due to breaking thread seal
~ Base and deck modification to open base and center post to true 2.5mm air flow and improved wicking

Upgraded components:
~Avid Vaper High Air Flow Milled center post for true 2.5mm air flow
~VaporLoogie PEEK insulator set: deck and 510.
~M1.6 x 3mm SS hex socket cap build deck screws w/wrench

All bases have undergone dual stage ultrasonic sterilization process, utilizing denatured alcohol followed by a medical grade food safe solution. Your PlasmAir will be ready to vape the moment you receive it. The PlasmAir has been precision machined twice, undergone numerous QC checks along the way, and each base was hand selected to match the Plasma tank it supports. All original build deck components included.

rolling%20raccoon_zpsyyphjqvs.gif

Last edited:

Vwls

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2013
AZ
Great review vwls and what an awesome tank that is, but I have to agree it is a bit pricey.
Thanks so much... Yeah I realize the price is going to be the main problem for most folks. This is a Mercedes and the vast majority are happy diving Hondas... they get you there.

Still I though it couldn't hurt to review it since it is so special. It's nice to know what all is out there.

Edit: I actually like my Hondas just fine... and probably will always use them. :thumb:

WindyCityJoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 6, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
So you must be somewhere in cental/southern AZ too. It's bad to leave batteries in high temps as well and just carriying a tank from inside to outside can cause it to leak too. I carry a small case with my vape gear in it and take it into work and back home and that keeps from leaking juice and ruining batteries.:thumb:

Reactions: Vwls

WindyCityJoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 6, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
I would imagine that a small make up case would work well. I have a small black zipper case that I carry extra juice, spare battery, a second tank and a syringe if I need to fill a tank. I also keep the battery in a battery case to keep it from shorting out. I got the battery case from kidney puncher in mesa. I also buy from Desert vapes in Gilbert, I pay to have items shipped and usually get them the next day. Good to use if your running low on anything and want to get fast without driving all over the valley. HTH:)

SeniorBoy

VapeFight.com Founder
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 21, 2013
Las Vegas, NV
vapefight.com
@Vwls - Great review. I may have missed these issues but I would appreciate some help:

- How do you adjust the air flow? A screw on the base like most KFs or ?

- What is the bore of the drip tip? I'm a flavor chasing maniac /lol and the shorty KF drip tip is what I would call narrow bore and works for me.

Thanks in advance and keep up the great work.

Vwls

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2013
AZ
Thanks so much -appreciate it.

- How do you adjust the air flow? A screw on the base like most KFs or ?
No adjust-ability - it's set at what they say is a 2.5mm air flow, but to me it draws more like a 1.5 mm air flow. Just enough to lung hit. To tell you the truth, I don't miss being able to adjust it... I'm a set-it-and-forget-it type anyway.

- What is the bore of the drip tip? I'm a flavor chasing maniac /lol and the shorty KF drip tip is what I would call narrow bore and works for me.
5mm. This is not a tight bore like the KFL tip. Between the air flow and the bore of the tip, you're going to have a bit more air than a KFL fully open (screw removed), and a smidge less flavor.

Reactions: SeniorBoy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread