A point of order about forum censorship

Status
Not open for further replies.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
A few days ago I posted a link and included the text to an essay written by government officials (Gottlieb and Zeller) acting in their official capacity. They were elaborating on their new intended approach to tobacco control. The entire thread was deleted due to alleged copyright violation (why not just delete the disputed text?). Gottlieb and Zeller's writing is certainly subject to the Freedom of Information Act so it should be freely available to reproduce. If I'm right about that please restore the thread.

Reactions: mcclintock

cats5365

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2013
United States
A few days ago I posted a link and included the text to an essay written by government officials (Gottlieb and Zeller) acting in their official capacity. They were elaborating on their new intended approach to tobacco control. The entire thread was deleted due to alleged copyright violation (why not just delete the disputed text?). Gottlieb and Zeller's writing is certainly subject to the Freedom of Information Act so it should be freely available to reproduce. If I'm right about that please restore the thread.
I'm not a mod, and don't play one on TV, but if I remember correctly, the essay was published in a medical journal and not on the government website.

The publication would have copy rights against the cut/paste of the whole article instead of the linking to their story. I think you could have copied a few lines, but would have had to link the user back to the original publisher for the whole story. It's a PITA, especially if something is behind a paywall, but thems teh rulez.

Reactions: Rossum

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
Moved to Site Feedback and Help

Just because something is available via FOIA or other means does not mean copyright law does not apply. You are welcome to quote a portion of the text under fair use (usually 10-15%, no more) and provide a link. Copying the entire piece and reposting it violates copyright law unless the article itself expressly states copyright laws do not apply.

Deleting a post that breaks the law is not censorship. It's ensuring ECF does not get into trouble when the copyright holder contacts us about copyright violations.

Last edited:

CarolT

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2011
Madison WI

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
Considering the piece did not come from a government site, the above does not apply.

I will also add that copyright issues are something that I'm extremely .... about. I've gone through this on another site and it's something that I will ruthlessly handle whenever I encounter it.

Reactions: ColdHeartClan

CarolT

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2011
Madison WI
Moved to Site Feedback and Help

Just because something is available via FOIA or other means does not mean copyright law does not apply. You are welcome to quote a portion of the text under fair use (usually 10-15%, no more) and provide a link. Copying the entire piece and reposting it violates copyright law unless the article itself expressly states copyright laws do not apply.

Deleting a post that breaks the law is not censorship. It's ensuring ECF does not get into trouble when the copyright holder contacts us about copyright violations.
The article itself does not have to expressly state that copyright laws do not apply. Regardless of what a journal says or doesn't say, if it's a US government work, it's in the public domain, and their claim of copyright protection does not exist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread