A PV that does not use pg,vg,peg that is small

Status
Not open for further replies.

nikomoul

ECF Veteran
Jul 16, 2009
O.K. i have sore throat issues with pg and vg. I want to buy the iolite but it seems a bit big, i don't like the butane idea, the unit gets "hot", and it makes noise. I would like an ecig type model that does not use pg,vg. These chemicals seem to aggravate most people's throats if not permanently, at least initially. THe pg and vg are "humectants" and dry out our mucus membranes.

Any company that can make this product is going to be a very rich IMHO.:thumbs:

Last edited:

nikomoul

ECF Veteran
Jul 16, 2009
PV's DO NOT vaporize tobacco.

edited. thanks.

I am not sure if PV is personal vaporizer encompasses all ecig type devices including iolite. But this is off the iolite site.
In contrast, vaporizing warms the plant material to a temperature at which combustion cannot occur. The resulting effect occurs with the release of the active ingredients in the form of a warm vapour. Since vaporizing does not use a flame or fire to ignite the plant material, none of the active ingredients are lost in the process. With every inhalation you're getting no smoke and more of the natural substance itself. Vapour contains little to no tar and is much cooler to inhale through ones' lungs, and pure vapour does not have any carcinogenic elements. Vapour is a healthier substitute to smoke!

Article courtesy of Got Vape

Last edited:

Applejackson

ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2009
Albany, NY
After thinking about it, what i really want is an ELIQUID that is not made from pg or vg and does not cause throat problems. Yes,that's it! :D

How long have you been using your e-cig? I had some issues with dryness and sore throat for like the 2nd-5th day of using mine, but they went away. If you don't use it as much as me, maybe it could take longer to adjust? Just a thought.

nikomoul

ECF Veteran
Jul 16, 2009
How long have you been using your e-cig? I had some issues with dryness and sore throat for like the 2nd-5th day of using mine, but they went away. If you don't use it as much as me, maybe it could take longer to adjust? Just a thought.

Thanks for your reply. I tried vaping about 7-9 days and completely lost my voice and coughed up lots of phlegm with a bad sore throat. I stopped vaping about 3-4 weeks. I then tried vg exclusively and got very bad stomach problems AND started losing my voice again. Bummer!

I'm currently looking at 3 models of ecigs:
1.) Iolite (lots of bad reviews though about how hot it gets and i don't want to use a long tube to inhale like they recommend - not too discreet!)
2.) innotec (not yet released)
3.) Ploom (not yet released)

You don't need to use eliquid with Iolite. With #2 and #3 it APPEARS that no eliquid will be used either. But not sure. The innotech looks like it will NOT produce any vapor at all. And the ploom looks like they will be using "pods" of tobacco/herbs instead of eliquid.

Last edited:

laurieok

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 3, 2009
Ohio
A 2 piece might be better for you. I started with a 2 piece (red dragon) that came with cartomizers...the atomizers is in the cartridge. I didn't have any sore throat at all with this and i used it for over a month. When I switched to the 901 and the 401 I got a sore throat for about a week....really sore. I don't know if it would help you, but I know I didn't have any sore throat when I used them.......just a thought!

TheIllustratedMan

ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2009
Upstate, NY
From what I understand, you're not going to get the "smoking" effect without PG or VG. There may be another compound out there take behaves the same way and wouldn't irritate your throat, but I don't know about it. With the Iolite, it's actually giving off vapor and not mist. This is an important distinction to make. Vapor is a gas, in the case of the Iolite, it's the un-ignited gases given off by the heated tobacco. Most gases are colorless, so you're not going to see anything when you exhale. A mist is a colloid made up of liquid particles suspended in the air. This is what is given off by the electronic cigarette. You essentially have a particle of PG or VG surrounded by a water/nicotine solution that is at the proper density for suspension. The refraction of light through the water gives you the smoke effect (incidentally, smoke is a colloid made of solid particles suspended in the air).

I know that none of that really answered your question, but hope it cleared up what may or may not work for you. Perhaps try a menthol? :D

-Nate

hxj

ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2009
Arlington, MA
have you tried ECOPure from IntelliCig? it is clean and smooth as per my experience.

That's a really good point-- I strongly suspect that lots of the so-called PG or VG sensitivities/allergies might really be sensitivities to other substances mixed with them, like specific flavorings. Seems I've read several posts by people who thought they had a PG or VG sensitivity, but then found a particular liquid that works for them.

ECOpure is a good place to start, since Intellicig makes it themselves and keeps it as pure as possible. (Read about it here.) I'd suggest buying a little 3-ounce bottle of "Fresh" (unflavored) and see how that goes. I know that InnoVapor sells them for $3, but of course then you have to pay $5 shipping. (Actually, I guess you could use the INNOVAPOR10 coupon code to save another thirty cents! :D)

In any case, I find myself paranoid about "generic" liquids and Chinese-manufactured ones, because it's hard to know for sure what's in them. I like Johnson Creek, who make their own liquid and list their ingredients, and will be trying Intellicig's ECOpure next week for the same reason. Fingers crossed on the ECOpure, because after a month of trying several flavors and liquids, I'm pretty sure that I do have an actual PG sensitivity, and I'm hoping that ECOpure becomes my new go-to liquid.

Kate51

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2009
Argyle Wi USA
For those who are experiencing problems with sore throats, etc., it would be an interesting experiment to vape nothing but PG or VG unflavored nic juice, or 0 - nic if you prefer. I haven't heard anyone with these vaping problems say that they have actually done this to see if indeed it the the PG or VG, or something else.
I have tried that experiment, Pg definitely not for me. VG has not given my any of the problems that PG did. And really it's not a bad vape, at all, sweet with VG, not so much sweet with PG. You may need to thin with a little bit of distilled water to make it work properly in the wick. Or if you want more throat hit thin with Everclear, or Vodka, just a drop or so per milleter. It may be a little boring without flavor additives, but if it works would be one source of relief. If it doesn't, then I'm afraid vaping is not for you. There are other solutions out there but the e-cig cartridges and atomizers are designed for a certain viscosity of liquid. So far no alternatives have been found, certainly no tested ones.
[edit] Also, and this is not an afterthought, very important: Make SURE you are drinking enough water (H2O), not soft drinks, juice drinks, etc! A good check to see if your are properly hydrated can be seen in the color of your urine (sorry, but this is important.) The closer to clear it is the better you are hydrated. The more color (from yellow to almost orange) would indicate serious lack of fluids. Every Mom knows (OR SHOULD KNOW) to keep check of that with toddlers, same holds true with the big kids!

Last edited:

hxj

ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2009
Arlington, MA
I have tried that experiment, Pg definitely not for me. VG has not given my any of the problems that PG did. And really it's not a bad vape, at all, sweet with VG, not so much sweet with PG. You may need to thin with a little bit of distilled water to make it work properly in the wick. Or if you want more throat hit thin with Everclear, or Vodka, just a drop or so per milleter. It may be a little boring without flavor additives, but if it works would be one source of relief.

I keep meaning to try plain VG and keep forgetting to get around to it! Not sure it's necessary now that I have some ECOpure arriving maybe Monday. If I have problems with the ECOpure, I'll try VG + distilled water.

Kate51, may I ask what liquid you vape regularly?

Kate51

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2009
Argyle Wi USA
NJX, I was using Johnson Creek, the Original and also Tennessee Cured. The strength was almost perfect, but I had to use their VG formula. Now, of course, they have completely changed their recipes, they no longer contain 100%VG, now have a 30%PG added to it for better vapor. It is unpalatable to me now. The flavors are also different, way too much vanilla added.
So, I'm in the process of making my own juice, 36mg/ml ECOpureVG (Krystal) and a plain no nic for mixing, I dilute it 1/2 & 1.2 for a nicotine density of 18mg/ml. I just cut back from 24mg/ml. With no side effects, by the way, was unbelievably easy and comfortable, no withdrawal at all.
But then I use a real tobacco flavor made from tobacco leaves called "absolute", very tiny bit (it's a very dark, concentrated, and thick paste-like substance)with a little bit of Ethyl Maltol to smooth out the harsh side of the tobacco, yes it can bite! (Check the D.I.Y. Threads for help with this.) I tolerate these two additives with no problems, and I do like a real tobacco flavor. But I have no problem using plain VG if I had to, with 18mg/ml nicotine. But as for more additives, exotic flavors, no way would I even try them. I don't want to ruin a good thing, and my goal is to do no more harm to myself. After 44 years of heavily smoking cigarettes I am a little afraid of adding anything. But I am sort of a purist, I don't want flavors added to my 100% Colombian dark roast coffee, either! I enjoy an occasional Cappaccino, but wouldn't want it 24/7!
So, my juice has a grand total of four ingredients, which are verified as pure and safe as scientifically possible, VG, nicotine, tobacco absolute (less than 2%), ethyl maltol, (about the same, 2%) and a very tiny amount of grain alcohol (EverClear) for diluting the absolute for mixing, which is usually exhausted out of the mix by evaporation. Any nitrosimines or other possible contaminants would fall into the 2 parts per billion category, don't think it will hurt me. There are more nitrosimines in a carrot.

[edit]PS: I am still working out the ingredients for strength, amounts, etc., but when I have it exactly right I will post the recipe in the DIY Thread. This takes a lot of try, try again. I am aiming for just a very mild Tobacco Juice that I can use day in and day out. Sometimes a formula tastes really good for a day or two, but then tastes a little too strong after constant use over several days. The ECOpure, however, is my preference for VG, strictly becasue of the testing the company has done. (Read about it on the Intellicig UK website.)

Last edited:

nikomoul

ECF Veteran
Jul 16, 2009
have you tried ECOPure from IntelliCig? it is clean and smooth as per my experience.

Yes, I forgot to mention, I have tried ecopure. I received a sample with my 510 kit from innovapor. I tried it about a week ago and got terrible bowel problems. I stopped using it and the bowel problems went away for about 3 days.
SO i decided to retry the ecopure today. Wouldn't you know it, like clockwork, bowel problems re-emerged.

I know everyone's been telling me to try ecopure. I really wanted it to be the holy grail. But it doesn't agree with me. I may have to re-try PG and see if i get the cough and lose my voice again. Another experiment. And i did drink about 2 liters/day with my last PG experiment.

Angela

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 20, 2009
Hertfordshire, England
Yes, I forgot to mention, I have tried ecopure
:confused::confused::confused:

[From another thread...]
When you say you've tried both PG & VG, what exactly have you tried? (ie which makes / flavours.... they aren't all the same!)

It may help people identify different options for you.

OK, I've tried the carts that came with the 401 and the 510 (both PG). I've also tried Walrus' juice (pg/vg/flavors). My last ditch effort was my homemade vg with Lorann's flavoring mixtures.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread