A question for noobs by a noob...eVic or Provari?

Status
Not open for further replies.

smillett_vox

Verified Member
Mar 31, 2013
Vernon, CT, USA
thanks everyone on the input :toast: I'm thinking I'll just eventually look on the classifieds for a cheap provari or just get a blem one from provape as i've heard they usually end up being completely fine. It seems that all these VV/VW mods are just like provari's but with different button placement and appearance or they're telescopic but to be honest i can't see myself changing different sized batteries. but now I have a new question, why would i spend $150+ on a provari when i can get practically the same thing closer to $50? is it really worth it or am i paying for it to say "Provari" on the side?

SirSteve

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 10, 2012
Northern Indiana
With the two choices you have given, I would say go for the Provari. However as many others have pointed out VAMO's and Sig Zmax are good options also, and cost less than either one of the two you listed. Even the Twist/Spinner batteries have their place, very affordable way to try out the VV world.

Even with the Provari, I would have at least one backup device. If for no other reason than to have two devices with different juices ready to go.

jimbill

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 4, 2011
aurora,indiana
I bought a Provari and haven't purchased anything since (except a 2nd one). I really wish I would have made it my first device. I would have saved a pant load of money. I don't agree about the Vamo being sturdy. Mine didn't last more than a couple of months and I took pretty good care of it. One drop and it was OV. It stopped working correctly and it wasn't that bad of a drop.
I think you had a bad one i dropped both of my vamo's more times i can count and they still work fine.

MxChino

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2010
Mansfield, Ohio
Hi, Steve . . . First, welcome to the ECF family.

I quit smoking cigarettes some 5 weeks ago. During that time, I was searching for the best overall vaping experience for myself. As I and many others have made numerous attempts at quitting the analogs, I wanted to afford myself the best possible vaping experience, so that I would stay tobacco free for the rest of my life.

I initially started with the Blu disposables and then moved on to a Blu kit. The Blu helped me stop smoking. Yet, for me, it was still lacking what I was hoping for.

Then I found the ego-c twist combined with clearomizers. This combo gave me a wonderful vaping experience, the best at that point. Yet, I knew there was something better out there.

This past Friday afternoon, I received my provari mini. I set that up with a cartomizer/tank combination and my search had ended. Within minutes, I knew this was what I had been searching and hoping for. I had been smoking cigarettes and cigars for some 30 plus years. Now, I know the chances are excellent that I will never go back to smoking.

Had I purchased an evic, vamo, silver bullet, or any of the other wonderful devices, would I have had the same experience and enjoyment? Perhaps, but I have ended my quest for the time being and I am completely satisfied and thrilled with my choice.

The provari is what works for me. Everyone is different and has different likes and dislikes. That is what is so wonderful about this whole vaping journey. There is something out there for everyone. We are not all the same nor should we be.

Having said all of this, you asked and I offered you my humble opinion. More importantly, you need to find what best fits you to insure your chances of a great vaping experience and staying tobacco free. I trust that you find that . . . Good luck.

Best,

Andy

thanks everyone on the input :toast: I'm thinking I'll just eventually look on the classifieds for a cheap provari or just get a blem one from provape as i've heard they usually end up being completely fine. It seems that all these VV/VW mods are just like provari's but with different button placement and appearance or they're telescopic but to be honest i can't see myself changing different sized batteries. but now I have a new question, why would i spend $150+ on a provari when i can get practically the same thing closer to $50? is it really worth it or am i paying for it to say "Provari" on the side?

One year warranty and American made. If anything breaks you can send it to provape for repair. If my zmax breaks the only place I can send it is the trash can.

Ansah

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 27, 2012
USA
Whenever the question is x vs. Provari, the answer is to just get a Provari.

There are reasons NOT to get a Provari: If you really can't find a way to afford one, if you want something extremely small and portable, if you want a mechanical or box mod... But if you want a variable voltage tube mod and get a Provari, you won't regret it and you won't look back.

tshirtwhore

Moved On
Mar 21, 2013

Dunno, like I said, never owned a Provari and would like to get one to check it out. I chose the Zmax, not that I am cheap, or can't buy one. But I want that pipe! Segelei Zmax does come in non-telescope styles. And you may not think you want to change batteries but you MIGHT rgardless of what you settle on. I know my 18650 battery lasts a lot longer than the 18350 battery. But the 18350 battery makes for a more discreet, non-sex toy looking device at times. :). I did my research till my eyes bled and when I watched the review that said the segelei dumped all over the Provari, I made my purchase, especially when comparing price. Happy with it for what I WANTED to spend. Then again, I take all reviews with a grain of salt. Then again, PBusardo gave the segelei very high remarks, and he had an earlier version. Both reviewers own/owned Provaris, and both are "respected". Obviously Mr. Busardo is very well known and for good reason. I just figured it had only gotten better with the revisons and I'm very happy with it. YMMV. My zmax comes with a 90 day warranty from varitube. Will it fail on the 91st day? Dunno. We shall see.

EDIT - I feel the need to keep stating that I am not bashing Provari. I am not! I'm just stating what fueled my choice. I've been embroiled in Gibson vs Fender and Gibson vs the no name guitars on other forums before. Hey I choose Gibson. But it can get weird.

Last edited:

JohnnyBlue

Verified Member
Mar 7, 2013
So Cali
I have an evic and I am happy with it. A couple of my friends have provari's and yes, they feel more sturdy and probably are more durable but they cost more than twice the amount I paid.

Both units have their advantages/disadvantages, what made me decide to get the evic was the fact that I could charge it at my desk using the same micro USB cable that I charge my phone with, being able to easily see what volt/watt I'm at and being able to easily switch it with a twist of the dial. Also the battery meter on the lcd screen lets me know how much battery I have at all times.

It looks pretty clean with the black case they now offer and it's somewhat durable so far (it fell out of my pocket while getting out of my car onto concrete and still works perfectly). Get whichever one you want, I don't think you will be disappointed with either one.

eratikmind

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2013
Las Vegas/San Francisco

Honestly, I didn't want to risk spending $50.00 less just to have to spend another $150.00.

Oktyabr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2009
Next to the ocean, WA
oktyabr.wordpress.com
Whenever the question is x vs. Provari, the answer is to just get a Provari.

There are reasons NOT to get a Provari: If you really can't find a way to afford one, if you want something extremely small and portable, if you want a mechanical or box mod... But if you want a variable voltage tube mod and get a Provari, you won't regret it and you won't look back.

You are forgetting Variable Wattage, something the current generation of Prothingy does not have. Maybe the next generation will, and then I could recommend it, but besides the one year warranty I think $200 is a bit steep for a device that is arguably outdated. I fully expect to see eGo twists and Vision Spinners with a Variable Wattage adjustment (instead of VV) in the months ahead. I mean come on... $200 for a Prothingy or... an eVic, a VAMO AND a Zmax? Or maybe just five VAMOs? :D

Last edited:

jimbill

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 4, 2011
aurora,indiana
You are forgetting Variable Wattage, something the current generation of Prothingy does not have. Maybe the next generation will, and then I could recommend it, but besides the one year warranty I think $200 is a bit steep for a device that is arguably outdated. I mean come on... $200 for a Prothingy or... an eVic, a VAMO AND a Zmax? Or maybe just five VAMOs? :D
I could not agree more the provari is so outdated.

Darkhawk

Verified Member
Mar 3, 2013
California
One year warranty and American made. If anything breaks you can send it to provape for repair. If my zmax breaks the only place I can send it is the trash can.

This was one of the main reasons I went with the provari 1st. That and people being able to upgrade when new models came out. That and going through all the comparison posts, I've never really seen someone complain about the provari. Maybe the closest would be it not being VW but that just wasn't a deal breaker for me.

If you do choose to go that route, the blemished grey units are cheaper and I believe you still get the 1 year warranty. I got the mini myself and went with the telescoping extension, so it's like the best of both worlds.

If you choose to go with the Vamo, most recommend stainless steel because of blemishes and sturdiness.

Also if you google Vaping Press they just came out with an article comparing several Mods

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Variable wattage has limited usefulness in real life usage situations. Probably the reason Provape never upgraded the Provari with it, although I can't speak for the company that has enjoyed such great success with the Provari as it is.

The value in the Provari comes into play years down the road. Many of the Chinese origin APV's have proven to be less than durable over time, just read the forums for proof. Once they stop working, they are a throw away. They can't be repaired.

The Provari on the other hand, can be repaired by Provape for as long as you have the device. You're paying a little more at purchase for the lifetime customer service. If you plan on quitting vaping within the next couple of years, perhaps a Provari isn't for you. But if you expect to be a lifetime vapor, the Provari will be there until the end. Consistant. Durable. Dependable. The ideal all day, everyday APV. If you think you can find a better APV, then buy it.

Last edited:

MT Pockets

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2013
Harrisburg, Pa
Just adding my 2 cents....started with an Ego C kit, small batteries and ordered the Ego C twist after 2 days. Since then I have been on the Provape page at least 100 times in the last 4 weeks but just can't seem to add it to the cart. I think I am going to go with the Seg. ZMAX telescope......for now, probably end up getting a Pro somewhere down the line. Right now I just can't justify the expense.
Good luck!

Crocky

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 14, 2013
North Carolina
I looked at them all but ended up going with the sigelei zmax telescope. I got the kit which includes 2 batteries, a charger, case and the body. I added a black carbon fiber j wrap a Ming SS drip tip and two extra batteries. And got out for $112
It is also very hefty in the hand, feels solid and smaller than I thought which is a good thing.

the reason I went for this over the provari is simply because after adding extras I got out about $100 cheaper and though that was a decent savings for me just to make sure that using a Vv/VW was something i liked. Will I get a provari eventually....maybe but I could say that about 5 other styles/brands I have seen as well.

My next purchase is a box mod ;). Always something......LOL

Last edited:

smillett_vox

Verified Member
Mar 31, 2013
Vernon, CT, USA
I actually retract my last post as Crocky makes a very valid point. it makes more sense to test the waters a bit with a cheaper device first than to dive in head first into the Provari. It's just like the situation I have now. I have a simple eGo-C and i'm getting bored with it. The moment I get bored with a ZMAX or Vamo or something cheaper like that, I might look into getting a Provari or an eVic. And after that I might have to go with mech mods and rebuildable atomizers etc. etc...

I guess it's all about trying something new once in a while and making a hobby out of it. So what if i spent $50 six months ago and want to upgrade now. thanks for all the input guys.

tooflyryguy

• Deleted by classwife
  • Reason: Unregistered Supplier

zero7starz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Jul 10, 2009
    I just went through this. I picked the ProVari. It's stupid proof to noobs of vv mods, easy to use navigate and setup, backed by a one year warranty, and is machined very well. I have no fear that this device will have any in fixable issue for some time.

I think the evic is really cool. It has a ton of features I wanna play with. But it seemed more like a toy/gadget than something I would bet my sanity with.

It's not that I think it's bad or would break, but I expect the evic would before my ProVari. And that was my answer. I wanted to own only one mod but I'm starting to see its not going to happen. Still glad I got the ProVari first because now I can play and always have a reliable backup.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread