A question for ProVape (or anyone else who can answer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottinSoCal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 19, 2010
ProVari Nirvana
I've had two ProVari regulars for a couple of years - started using them when they first came out. In the last two days I've had strangeness happen with both of them. I'm kind of thinking it isn't the ProVaris, because one has been sitting in my supply kit as a spare for most of the last two years, and it's just too much to think they'd both go funny in exactly the same way at exactly the same time with totally different use patterns.

They work, kind of, a little bit, as long as I keep the end cap unscrewed slightly. If I tighten it down, they've got no power. If the cap twitches a little too much, they lose power. It all started when I cleaned the inside post on my regular unit - same method I've used before. A long cotton swab with a little bit of IPA and just scrub it a little, before work one day. On the way to work I couldn't get anything out of it, and at work it told me my carto was testing at 1.3 ohms. I haven't seen that before, so I popped on a new carto. It was also 1.3 ohms. I did a google search and found a thing that said an IPA wash was the thing, so I got some IPA from my chemicals guy and did it just the way it was recommended and pulled out my spare to use while my regular one was drying out.

Flash forward to the next day and my regular still didn't work. I put the battery back in my spare and it didn't work. I started to unscrew the cap and saw the button LED flash a couple of times, like the power was flickering. Experimentation got me to where I could use my spare. I tried the same thing on my regular unit, and it's the same way but more finicky. The end cap has to be in exactly the right place or I get nothing. I tried cleaning the threads, reapplying Noalox, cleaning off the Noalox, cleaning the inside tip - nothing works.

I also can't believe it's the battery, because I have 6 of them that I rotate through, and they're all doing it.

Any tips? Any help? I need to send one in for repair, but I can't be without my ProVari. I haven't smoked a cigarette for two years, but just thinking about not having my vape makes my fingers twitch and I contemplate picking up a pack at the store.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I have had similar incidents happen with my Provari's.
Check the end cap spring. Sometimes they compress and you need adjust / lengthen them.
Hope this helps a little.

Yes, mine is only 5 months old, and I've noticed that the cap can't be real snug (no power), and if I loosen it ever so much, it works fine. I've also had to adjust the hot spring in mine.

It seems the Provari is very sensitive concerning batteries. It really needs routine maintanance of alcohol on all battery contact points, including the batteries themselves.

Other than the above minor inconveniences (for me), it has worked flawlessly.

ScottinSoCal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 19, 2010
ProVari Nirvana
Well, I guess it's something with the threads or with the spring seat. I'll have to find a way to clean them thoroughly.

Last night I couldn't get it into a position that worked. Out of frustration I loosened and tightened it over and over again, and it started working. The more I do it, the better it gets. There's something preventing a good electrical contact, and I'm wearing through it.

ScottinSoCal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 19, 2010
ProVari Nirvana
OK, it all seems to be working now....

I got my spare to the point its working reliably, so I sat down with my regular unit and my dremel kit.

I used a plastic bristle attachment and thoroughly cleaned the threads on both sides, then I applied noalox. That took care of the no power problem, but another popped up. The battery is fairly fresh - it reads 3.9 volts - but I got one short drag off it and the low power light started flashing. If I tried to take a long drag it cut off power completely and did the fast flash thing. I used a cloth abrasive disc on my dremel extender and reached down into the guts of it to clean the positive battery contact. It was nice and shiny, but the problem remained. So I took drastic action.

I got a small piece of fine grit sandpaper and rubber-banded it to the end of one of my long cotton swabs. I carefully scrubbed the end of the contact, and it seems to be 100% now. I had the spare set to send in for a window replacement (it's one of the very first and it's gone a little dark) and a V2 upgrade. But I'm going to let it sit for a week or so until I know my regular is going to be solid for the long haul.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread