Status
Not open for further replies.

Sloth Tonight

CF Moderator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2014
NY
I'm suffocating...there's a dead mouse in the wall just behind my desk in the office...

The whole office smells awful...gag-worthy...I don't know how I'm going to make it through the day, let alone the next week or two before it fully decomposes :(

What will the check-ins think? I have 12 check-ins tomorrow. Will they walk in, smell the air, turn and run back to their cars? Will they think it's this lowly sloth that smells like a rotting corpse? Will I even still be breathing when they get here?

Help :eek:

• Optimistic
Reactions: stols001

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
How do you know it is a mouse? If the odor is that strong it could be a larger animal such as a rat. And as it decomposes, the surrounding materials (dry wall, wood, etc,) could absorb that odor which means it could last for weeks. Not to mention attract other critters. I’d be breaking that wall open to try and remove the animal.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
How do you know it is a mouse? If the odor is that strong it could be a larger animal such as a rat. And as it decomposes, the surrounding materials (dry wall, wood, etc,) could absorb that odor which means it could last for weeks. Not to mention attract other critters. I’d be breaking that wall open to try and remove the animal.
I concur. It’s remove the corpse or deal with it.

I don’t know what a “check in” is, but if it’s a customer it could be an issue. There’s also health and safety.

Removal is quite expensive. There’s finding the body, removing the part of the wall, dealing with the corpse (probably the least of the issue), and repairing that damage. Time and money.

The question is whose time and money is it? Is the space a rental? What are the terms? It could be the landlords job, it could be the business owners job.

Sloth Tonight

CF Moderator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2014
NY
It could be a rat. It's most likely a mouse - I say that because they're becoming active attempting to get inside now that we're dipping down close to freezing some nights.

I'm going to have maintenance attempt to get it out for sure - this is in my office at work. A "check-in" is somebody checking-in to their cabin. Luckily they only spend a few moments in my office, but we need to get this remedied because it's definitely not good for them, let alone myself.

I have a general idea of where it is in the wall, but I think locating it will be the hard part. I'm nervous as well that it was attempting to chew on some wires back there...

Never a dull day :unsure:

ETA this will definitely be a business expense. I agree with the severity of the situation.

ETA #2: Interestingly, the few guests who have walked in here today, including just now, don't smell it. I swear I'm not losing my mind - I'm gagging. I think it's just stronger behind the desk and my sense of smell is pretty good these days thanks to vaping (gee, thanks a lot) - but man, I'm embarrassed about this.

Last edited:
  • Optimistic

Sloth Tonight

CF Moderator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2014
NY
I wonder if you could use a dog or cat to use it's nose to narrow down where it's at?
That's...brilliant. I'll see if Atticus can help me track it down. I would say I hate to do it to the little fella, but heck, if he had his way he'd tear the wall open himself and eat it.

ETA: unfortunately, he didn't seem to hone in on it (he was too busy smelling everything but the wall). I'll try again in the morning, thanks for the idea my friend.

Last edited:

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    That's...brilliant. I'll see if Atticus can help me track it down. I would say I hate to do it to the little fella, but heck, if he had his way he'd tear the wall open himself and eat it.

ETA: unfortunately, he didn't seem to hone in on it (he was too busy smelling everything but the wall). I'll try again in the morning, thanks for the idea my friend.
    Ah, probably not my best idea. Seen good hunting dogs that are trained fail. A house dog would be more interested in the leftover crumbs in your trash can lol.

Reactions: Sloth Tonight

bombastinator

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    It could be a rat. It's most likely a mouse - I say that because they're becoming active attempting to get inside now that we're dipping down close to freezing some nights.

I'm going to have maintenance attempt to get it out for sure - this is in my office at work. A "check-in" is somebody checking-in to their cabin. Luckily they only spend a few moments in my office, but we need to get this remedied because it's definitely not good for them, let alone myself.

I have a general idea of where it is in the wall, but I think locating it will be the hard part. I'm nervous as well that it was attempting to chew on some wires back there...

ETA this will definitely be a business expense. I agree with the severity of the situation.

ETA #2: Interestingly, the few guests who have walked in here today, including just now, don't smell it. I swear I'm not losing my mind - I'm gagging. I think it's just stronger behind the desk and my sense of smell is pretty good these days thanks to vaping (gee, thanks a lot) - but man, I'm embarrassed about this.
    So the hospitality industry where people are hyper aware of filth when they’re renting stuff they have to take their clothes off and sleep in it. I strongly suspect you need that gone NOW. Ideally before even one (probably now non repeating customer) smelled it. The only business that could be more affected is a restaurant.

You can’t have people smelling dead animals in your establishment. That kind of thing winds up on Yelp. The particular odor you’re smelling is a chemical called putrizine. It’s detectable in fantastically small quantities and there are special sensors in the human nose just for it specifically. It affects mammals (not merely humans) at a very deep level. I’m not surprised you’re going out of your mind. So are the customers. It generates fear and disgust.

They’re going to have to remove part of the wall anyway so they’ll be able to look at the wiring.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 28, 2018
    Toronto, ON
    So the hospitality industry where people are hyper aware of filth when they’re renting stuff they have to take their clothes off and sleep in it. I strongly suspect you need that gone NOW. Ideally before even one (probably now non repeating customer) smelled it. The only business that could be more affected is a restaurant.

You can’t have people smelling dead animals in your establishment. That kind of thing winds up on Yelp. The particular odor you’re smelling is a chemical called putrizine. It’s detectable in fantastically small quantities and there are special sensors in the human nose just for it specifically. It affects mammals (not merely humans) at a very deep level. I’m not surprised you’re going out of your mind. So are the customers. It generates fear and disgust.

They’re going to have to remove part of the wall anyway so they’ll be able to look at the wiring.

Just mammals? My pet Komodo Dragon (named Lucy) can smell a dead carcase miles away. But she prefers the cheese burgers and fried chicken I feed her so it hasn’t been a problem….yet! ;)

Reactions: bombastinator

bombastinator

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    Just mammals? My pet Komodo Dragon (named Lucy) can smell a dead carcase miles away. But she prefers the cheese burgers and fried chicken I feed her so it hasn’t been a problem….yet! ;)
    I was once told the first rule of reptile pet ownership is never smell like food.

• Agree

bombastinator

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA

Was looking up a link for putrizine and hit this one too. It’s apparently just as bad and is probably there too.
    Cadaverine - Wikipedia

bombastinator

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    Just a thought: Do y'all use propane?

Years ago, I lived in a trailer and we would have sworn there was a dead animal. It turned out to be a propane leak.
    Heh. Different chemical. Propane has no odor which makes it dangerous so they add a scent chemical to it called ethyl mercaptan. It’s really bad, but putrizine is even worse. Propane odorant is added in very careful ratios btw so if you can smell propane you’re in trouble. There’s a good chance you were in actual mortal danger.

Sloth Tonight

CF Moderator
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 25, 2014
    NY

I heavily agree with you. You're wrong that the customers are going out of their minds, though. That's an assumption you made based upon my perception of the smell. A reasonable one, but luckily it's not the case. However, the potential is most definitely there and I take it very seriously.

This is a small-scale wilderness resort and I know 70+% of guests in the Summer, so I've felt comfortable asking some of them if they smell it. All of them have said no this morning. It almost makes me think I'm crazy, but a couple co-workers smell it when they get right up next to the wall (which is luckily behind my desk--lucky for others, that is).

Maintenance is tearing the wall apart right now. So far they haven't found anything and what's more, when I put my nose near the holes in the wall they've torn so far, I don't smell it either. I swear I'm not insane - it's just a matter of finding it, which hopefully will be any minute now.

To say that I'm upset/concerned about this is an understatement. I appreciate the insight/feedback/support, very much. This is stressful.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread