A strange eVic issue.... wrap your head around this one...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfountain2

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 28, 2012
United States
:blink:
I have 2 eVic's one is a 18650 battery and one is a 18500. I have several Kanger Protanks. I bought a AGI rebuildable atty... and now for the strangeness...

I built a 1.4 ohm coil using 30ga kanthal and 1/8" slotted ceramic wick. I filled it full of juice and proceeeded to vape away on the 18500 eVic, battery started running low, switched to the 18650 eVic, vaped a few minutes... got an error saying 'atomizer short'.

Took the coil apart and built a new one using 30ga kanthal and 1/8" slotted ceramic wick ended up at 1.4 ohms.... stuck it on the 18650 eVic... 'atomizer short' again. Looked the entire coil over under a magnifying glass (ok it was an iPhone magnifier app) and couldn't see anything that would cause a short so.... switched to the 18500 eVic (installed freshly charged battery) and it vaped with no problem. Switched it again to the other eVic.. 'atomizer short'....

Took the heads off the eVic batteries and switched them around, made no difference, one same head still says 'atomizer short' every time I hook the AGI up to it, the other head will vape all day on the AGI with nothing being done to the AGI between switching eVic heads.

Both eVic heads work fine with all the Protanks I have and I can switch Protanks back and forth all day between the two eVic's... no problems at all.

I have tried different batteries and have the same problem no matter what battery I use or how full/empty the battery is charged.

I reset both eVic's to factory default settings and then installed MVR 1.3 and set both up with the exact same settings... still have the same issue, one vapes all day on the AGI, one automatically reads 'atomizer short'.

In the pics attached the only difference is the eVic head, same battery, same AGI, same coil, same juice... just took the AGI off one head and put it on the other.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Good.jpg Short.jpg

jfountain2

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 28, 2012
United States
One of your eVics may have a broken ohmmeter. Try testing the resistance of your Protanks on each eVic. Do you get consistent results?

Tried it with the 3 Protanks I have at work, came up with equal ohms on both eVics with 2 different protanks and one said no atomizer found on the eVic I have been having problems with but it read 2.5 ohms on the second eVic.

What he said^^

On a side note this makes me wonder if they havent changed something to allow lower resistance, because I cam across a guy running sub ohm atty the other day and I know mine wont go lower than 1 ohm. I wonder???

Now that you mention it, I did run a sub ohm coil on the troublesome eVic when I first started wrapping coils..... my first attempt at coil wrapping came out at 0.4 ohms and the eVic jumped up to 8 watts and wouldn't let me back it down any. I didn't like the high wattage so I built a higher ohm coil and everything worked fine until I got the ceramic wicks in and rebuilt the coil with the new wicks.

And on a side note, the freakin ceramic wick broke in the tank today after I made this thread so now I'll be redoing that all again tonight or tomorrow....

TrainingDummy

ECF Veteran
Apr 18, 2013
Temple, Texas, United States
What he said^^

On a side note this makes me wonder if they havent changed something to allow lower resistance, because I cam across a guy running sub ohm atty the other day and I know mine wont go lower than 1 ohm. I wonder???

Would that be me? lol

@Fountain it sounds like your board is having issues. What i would try doing is popping the 510 connector off and rotating it. I did some surgery on mine last night and after reassembly my negative lead on the 510 piece was real close to the solder spot on the board and kept coming back as atomizer short until I rotated it 180degrees.

altron3k

Verified Member
Apr 23, 2013
Seoul, South Korea
i have had this problem too... when i use prebuilt heads for protanks / evods . its fine. wbut when i use my termi-c (ohmmetered at 2.0 and tested on various other batteries as ok) the evic said "atomizer short" its only when my other "smaller tolerance 510" connection atty's would fall out or tilt (and short)- that i realized my THREADS were jacked... like all out of wack but still allowing SOME 510's and ego stuff to connect properly and NOT short. the threads on the evic are ....e soft. so i got me one of those air control addons Tank Airflow Controller like this and also tried some 510-510 adaptors. guess what. NO SHORTS anymore... ymmv.. but this fixed most of my shorting problems.. cept of course. when i actually build a crap coil :p

after a few months my termi seems to be teetering ohms up n down drastically.. but that another problem for another thread ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread