Status
Not open for further replies.

GeorgeS

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • May 31, 2015
    Oregon, USA
    Greetings,

maybe I was bored. Maybe to much doom and gloom on all the bans of new gear and the shipping of it. I started to think - why not have some fun with some of the stuff I already have?

51114452308_ff3da8086f.jpg

Cases in point - the two rigs in the picture above. I believe that all the hardware (mods and tanks) are over 5 years old. The setup on the left has a bit of a story about it.

Sitting on my desk is a few old tube mods that I wonder what it would be like to use again. I found a old (I think KFv3) tank laying around, built a very low mass 2ohm coil in it, filled it up and went and tried it out on my old 15W tube mods. Sadly not a one of them liked the KFv3 and would register the 2ohm coil. So what to do? I had a old Evic that surely could be put into power mode. While I was not to surprised that it all works (I've actually refilled the tank a few times and replaced the battery once) the vape is more restrictive than I tend to like and be it the build (or the 10W power mode) I don't really like the flavor of the unflavored juice with this. Another negative is that while it is top fill, there is no juice flow control so the atomizer get flooded each time the tank is refilled. While I could (and have) used it in a pinch, I can get 1-2 tank fills on a single 3000mah battery.

The setup on the right represents some historical firsts for me. Years ago when I first got into rebuilding a Lemo2 was one of three tanks I bought when I started. It was also my first top fill tank. Sitting under it is my first ever Dicodes mod (a #6). This mod is setup in TC mode with 380F temperature setting and 23W.

Be it the better tank or the use of TC mode, the setup on the right provides a good vape. The 26650 has enough mah to easily allow me to vape the tank dry (takes me most of the day) and since years ago I got Dicodes very over priced charger, I just drop the mod in the charger at the end of the day and its ready for more vaping in a few hours.

So, anyone else putting to use or having some fun with +5 year old vaping gear? How do you like it?

g.

Oregon Linda

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 1, 2013
    Salem, OR
    Actually, I still have some 5+ year old vaping gear in my rotation. I still vape Orchid v4s, and for single battery mods, I use KF monsters. I prefer tanks that are a bit newer - especially those that came out with top fill and juice flow control, such as the Griffin, Billow v3, Steam Crave Supreme and Aromamizer Plus. But those old tanks are still in use and enjoyed. I don't really like the newer tanks with top air flow.

NCC

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 14, 2010
    Fla Panhandle, USA
    When you talk about equipment that's only 5-years old as if they're some kinda relic, I kinda have to chuckle a bit when I contemplate what our situation might be like in a decade or two. So many of us have vaping arsenals that will last that long, and longer. I have new, in still wrapped boxes, a few mods and tanks that are 5-years old, and a lot more that are only a few years old...some of which I haven't even tried. But, I'm looking forward to trying them out around 2030 and forward.

Javichu

Account closed on request
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 8, 2020
    Spain
    When you talk about equipment that's only 5-years old as if they're some kinda relic, I kinda have to chuckle a bit when I contemplate what our situation might be like in a decade or two. So many of us have vaping arsenals that will last that long, and longer. I have new, in still wrapped boxes, a few mods and tanks that are 5-years old, and a lot more that are only a few years old...some of which I haven't even tried. But, I'm looking forward to trying them out around 2030 and forward.

Those really don't fall into the segment of relics,this here is a real relic:

-2-4-Carry-Case-Rechargeable-E-Cigarette-502-.jpg

You actually had to plug the pack in the wall,priceless!!! :lol::lol:

Myrany

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 14, 2013
    Louisiana
    2 of my REOs are 8 years old and the design of them is older than that. LOL Been in rotation for the entire 8 years and still a wonderful vape.

I have the identical EVIC. Only thing I had to do is reglue the magnets that hold the battery door on. Still works beautifully. I just am not in love with the mod as it is a bit slippery and sometimes with my arthritis hard to keep from dropping.

One of my Provari's is 8 years old. Also works beautifully and has been in rotation for the entire time as is the Original Protank sitting on top of it.

Last edited:

YoursTruli

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 27, 2012
    Ohio
    I'm enjoying a few new things, recent stock up additions I had to try out, other than that all of my gear is 5 years or older, most much older. Provaris, Reos, Vamos, iSticks, Nautilus, Subtanks, Egos... Before this latest my last purchases were in 2016 and even that was a lot of older gear to support what I already had. Actually getting a few new things showed me how much I enjoy my older gear, although, finding newer gear that is MTL has gotten easier now than it was years ago when things took a sharp turn towards the everything sub-ohm clouds.

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 17, 2011
    Midworld

eGoinMD

ECF Veteran
    Feb 15, 2014
    MD
    • Agree
    Reactions: DPLongo22

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 17, 2011
    Midworld
    OMG.... Well, doesn't that make all kinds of sense....

Still, what I meant was more along the lines of tiny loop in kanthal, really really close to the ends of the coil, under tiny headed screws. Always a problem for me.

I know. Trapping the wire was always a challenge with the v2. Scratch up that base and you'll be amazed.

I think, anyway. It works like a charm for me - I'll say that much. Give a whirl and let us know. :)

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    OMG.... Well, doesn't that make all kinds of sense....

Still, what I meant was more along the lines of tiny loop in kanthal, really really close to the ends of the coil, under tiny headed screws. Always a problem for me.

If you don't want to file your deck in fear of ruining it, you can always roughen up the undersides of your screw heads with a file. That can help to catch the wire better.

vaper1960

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 24, 2019
    California, US
    I have lots of stuff over 5 years old (that is... made over 5 years ago) I buy on clearance sales. Got a Lemo2 RTA... love it (because as I was waiting for it, I did my homework and figured out it's issues) Ended up getting two more (still brand new in the boxes) Have three Kbox mods (two 60 watt and one original 40 watt with the LEDs LOL) Have several Aspire Nautilus X tanks (not sure when those came out) and a "quad flex kit" I've only been vaping for 2 years but have saved lots of money getting outdated stuff for cheap.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread