The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

A tip to steeping e-liquid if you live in the Southwest

Discussion in 'General E-Liquid Discussion' started by adriane7, Jun 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. adriane7

adriane7 Full Member

Jun 4, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Hi guys, I live in AZ and as everyone knows the summers are brutal. What I do with my new e-liquids is place them directly in the sun for about 2 hours when it is very hot and the flavoring really comes out. Try this if you live in a hot climate!

2. PosingOwl

PosingOwl Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    Clovis, NM
    I was under the impression that leaving it out in the heat was bad for it. I know I have done it before by accident and it was horrible.

3. doghair

doghair Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 15, 2014
    Phoenix
    I'm not sure I'd put it out in the sun, that will tear the hide off most anything this time of year. My back porch says 107 in the shade right now. I just leave in the kitchen cabinet since I leave the AC at 80.

4. SingedVapor

SingedVapor Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

It was my understanding that sunlight will cause the nic to oxidize and ruin it along with the flavour making it weaker?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. crxess

crxess Grumpy Ole Man Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 20, 2012
    Williamsport Md
    Max Heat for steeping(speed)150-160 degrees
    Bright sunlight and Nicotine are mortal enemies

Best to place new bottles in a slow cooker for a few hours

You could place them in a pot of water, covered outside. Just don't let the water evaporate.

6. desertrider

desertrider Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 5, 2014
    Phoenix
    What I do is keep them in the glovebox of my car for a few hours while I run errands.

I also live in Phoenix.

7. Bunnykiller

Bunnykiller ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Nov 17, 2013
    New Orleans La.
    when you are finished steeping your juice do you remove the tobacco ?

8. Bunnykiller

Bunnykiller ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Nov 17, 2013
    New Orleans La.
  9. Skeebo

Skeebo Vaping Master ECF Veteran

May 31, 2014
    LMAO.... I just spit coffee all over my computer screen. Boy that stuff burns coming out the nose!

10. PaulBHC

PaulBHC Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Jan 22, 2014
    Arizona
    It's 113 here now in the NW. 96 on top of my computer box above the PSU, 83 on my desk.

11. adriane7

adriane7 Full Member

Jun 4, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ

no i don't i leave the bottles in the sun

12. skoony

skoony Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Jul 31, 2013
    saint paul,mn,usa
    its not that nicotine oxidises. its the rate at which it oxidises. i don't think 2 or less hours will have much an effect. certainly not any thing drastically noticeable. as long as the temperature of the liquid doesn't get to high the thermal agitation certainly would help settle out the extra air leaving a more homogeneous blend. heat causes nicotine to oxidize no matter what the source.
    :2c:
    regards
    mike

13. Bryanlsalisbury

Bryanlsalisbury Full Member

Mar 16, 2014
    Virginia
    Direct light will degrade your nicotine. The heat will help it steep faster. I know people who shove it in their glove box for a day during the summer heat

14. skoony

Jul 31, 2013
    saint paul,mn,usa
    heat will degrade nicotine also. its the % of degradation from sunlight as opposed to heat as opposed to heat and sunlight. leaving your bottle sit on the window pane as opposed to your darkened storage space would be a problem over time. 1 or 2 hours in the sunlight should pose no significant degradation if any above normal degradation to be found in nicotine. i don't think it would be a problem. the OP seems to think it works. if there was any appreciable oxidation of the nicotine wouldn't there be an adverse affect on the flavor?

regards
    mike

15. Bryanlsalisbury

Bryanlsalisbury Full Member

Mar 16, 2014
    Virginia
    I would think so I steep all my juices in a large gunsafe I have. So I'm not exactly sure about the sunlight

16. MaxUT

MaxUT Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Jul 4, 2009
    Ogden, UT, US
    I wouldn't put the juice in the sunlight since UV radiation is likely to damage its flavoring.

I would however squeeze some of the air out of the bottle, recap it and place it in the car trunk so that it heats and rolls around for a few days...

17. Dissonance

Dissonance Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Dec 30, 2013
    Dayton, OH, USA
    Just secure a small pouch to the wheel of your car and throw the juice bottle(s) in the bag, go driving for a few hours. A guy I used to work with when I delivered pizza did this and he swore by it.

18. skoony

Jul 31, 2013
    saint paul,mn,usa
    yes of course its the uv in the sunlight that would cause damage over time. in the time frame of 1 or 2 hours there should be no damage.
    at least nothing detectable.
    :2c:
    regards
    mike

19. USRN2016

USRN2016 Senior Member Verified Member

I live in Phoenix and keep my steeping ejuice in my dark office, mostly because it's the coldest room in the house. Usually in about a week, all the ejuices are blended very nicely.

20. Unforeseen

Unforeseen Admin
    Commercial/Suppliers Asst. Manager
    Admin Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Moved to General E-Liquid Discussion

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.