A tobacco e-cig?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
I'm using a tobacco e-cig at this very moment. It doesn't use nicotine in any liquid concoction that would need testing and FDA approval, yet produces copious vapor, no doubt containing nicotine.

First, a little background. I've been e-smoking for 19 months and have tried making my own home liquid many times. I've cooked pipe tobacco, dissolved Stonewall dissolvables in vegetable glycerine, you name it. Nothing has been very successful. I have liquid, but I know nothing of its nicotine content, or whether other undesirable substances are in the resulting vapor.

My last experiment involved pure pipe tobacco. I let some soak in vegetable glycerine for a couple of days. To begin, I removed the polyfil filter from a cartridge. Then I inserted the soaked tobacco and tamped it down tightly, just as I would my pipe.

It made vapor. Tasted like a pipe, in fact. But the tobacco bits began to stick to the atomizer and I foresaw killing an atomizer if I continued doing this. So I dropped that idea.

Today, as I got ready to pop a snus in my mouth ... I had an idea. I filled a spoon with VG, put the General Mini Mint pouch in the liquid and let it soak. Then I removed the wet snus, pinched an end and "screwed" it down into a vacant cart core.

Now this works! I have tons of vapor, thanks to the VG, plus some mint flavor from the snus. These snus, by the way, are extremely safe, by tobacco standards. Their tobacco is pasteurized under food standards, and the low TSNAs that result are topped only by Ariva and Stonewall dissolvables. This is about as risk-free as it gets.

So there you go, FDA. My e-cig is a tobacco product now, vaping pure snus tobacco soaked with a GRAS carrier to create the vapor.

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
No waste, for sure. You were on the right track, ms. I read some posts about using snus as the source for nic liquid, but didn't try it. But this ... what a clean way to get nicotine vapor. My guess is the Camel snus could create a roll that might fit even better than the rectangular bag I'm vaping now.

I have no idea how long this will last, but I've been using it four hours or so now.

WinningQuitter

ECF Veteran
Aug 23, 2009
A2 MI
Great idea!

This has been my #1 concern with the whold FDA thing. I did my research, I know there are potentially unknown risks, I'm OK with that. I've been taking echinacea for years dispite it "not being FDA approved" and I don't care :) My real concern is that once I get used to this e-cig thingie and start to love it, somebody will try to "save me from myself".

On my way to buy some snus right now..... Will report soon :D

isande

ECF Veteran
Aug 14, 2009
Interesting, indeed. I've been going in the other direction with making fake snus (e-snus? heh) by enclosing a small amount of tea leaves and a drop or two of nicotine liquid in a tea bag material.

Your idea might also work with Stonewall/Ariva tablets if they're dissolved in a small amount of VG or PG then the resulting "paste" is enclosed in a bit of tea bag material, wet with more VG/PG and stuffed into a cart. I'd try it if I had any on hand.

--K

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
I'm a huge fan of Stonewall, and have been for a long time. They are to me what bread is to a sandwich. I've tried dissolving them and they don't completely dissolve. They leave a kind of pasty residue in the liquid. I really think pouch snus is a far more acceptable, clean way to obtain nicotine from tobacco. But let us know if you experiment with Stonewall in a pouch.

Snus are so inexpensive that I've had no desire to make my own, BTW. Never tried it. But you want cheap? Find a way to "vape" nasal snuff! I like the stuff a lot -- and it is just dirt cheap.

Kate51

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2009
Argyle Wi USA
Wonder what my husband will say when I tell him he HAS to quit using that dumb Silver Creek stuff and buy Gras from now on!! I probably wouldn't be able to print it out here.
That is brilliant, my gras friend!
And here I thought I was being smug because I just did a very nice tobacco absolute mix-up, very smooth, sweet and lovely bouquet, hint of mint. Damn. Gotta shop again.

WILDJC

ECF Veteran
Jul 19, 2009
New York
TB-If I get this right, from my perspective, the FDA cannot ban VG, PG and Snus, nor the combination of the two. And the mechanism of the atomizer, battery and blank cart would also not pose a problem as a stand alone device. Therefore, combining your technique with our standard hardware should negate any control by the FDA.

Is this a fair statement?

GregH

ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2009
Georgia USA
I am very intrigued by this idea as well and will have to give it a go. I still have some snus and VG from an ill-fated attempt at making my own liquid a few weeks ago.

I, too, am using 510 carts/attys. So hopefully I can shove a snus packet inside.

I do wonder how much nic that would actually deliver. Don't Camel snus packets have around 9 mg nic? Maybe the Swedish snus have more?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread