A1 Kantha wire for builds > 1.2 ohm: 30, 32, or 36?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeadbeatJeff

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2014
Rochester, NY
store.coilsociety.com
Need to clarify if the op wants the individual coils in that range or the entire build. If it's the entire build, won't the individual coils need to be 2.4 to 3 ohms?
Yes: are those numbers for the individual coils or the double build?

Also, how many wraps would that take into account, exactly?

And I guess, while I'm hear: Does making a coil of twisted wire also half your overall resistance as does a double coil?

Road_House

ECF Veteran
May 12, 2013
SE PA
Yes: are those numbers for the individual coils or the double build?

Which one? Is your target of 1.2 to 1.5 for each coil or both combined? A dual coil setup with each individual coil at 1.5 ohms will actually be .75 ohms

Number of wraps to be determined by the answer to the above question and the diameter of the bit or whatever you are wrapping the coil around.

Twisted will lower the ohms but by how much I'm not sure. Someone else will have to chime in on that. Twisted provides more surface area to vaporize the juice so in theory more vapor and flavor.

DeadbeatJeff

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2014
Rochester, NY
store.coilsociety.com
Well, I suppose the resistance is just a matter of how many inches, now that I think of it. Although I have no real handle on how many inches go into a typical coil. I'll likely just get the 32 to be on the safe side, as my VV won't fire under 1.2)

I am curious if twisting will also half the resistance though, seems like it would, as I think that would technically qualify as a bridge... but then again they're in constant contact, and my experience working with ohms comes solely from working with speakers.

mitchg

Feb 28, 2014
plus.google.com
On a 5/64" drill bit a 3 ohm coil requires:

30 awg - 7 wraps

32 awg - 12 wraps

Two of either together will give you 1.5 ohms

You get those numbers backwards by chance? Thinner wire has higher resistance requiring less wraps. Or do you just need more wraps on 32 because its skinnier and can handle more wraps

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
This is *very* interesting; in the next few months I expect I'll get brave enough to try and learn to rebuild mine. What if I want to do a single coil, and have the ohms come out to about 2.2-2.4? I don't like it too low, it gets too hot, but not too high either, so I don't have to max out my vv3. The coils in question would be either those for the T3S/MT3S, or the mini protank II, which I believe are the same coils as the Protank and EVOD. What gauge wire, and how many wraps?

Thx!!!
Andria

Lucky1384

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 9, 2014
Sheffield, UK
This is *very* interesting; in the next few months I expect I'll get brave enough to try and learn to rebuild mine. What if I want to do a single coil, and have the ohms come out to about 2.2-2.4? I don't like it too low, it gets too hot, but not too high either, so I don't have to max out my vv3. The coils in question would be either those for the T3S/MT3S, or the mini protank II, which I believe are the same coils as the Protank and EVOD. What gauge wire, and how many wraps?

Thx!!!
Andria

Around 11-12 wraps of 30AWG, or 8 wraps of 32AWG around a 5/64 bit should get you to where you want to be.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
Around 11-12 wraps of 30AWG, or 8 wraps of 32AWG around a 5/64 bit should get you to where you want to be.

Thank you so much!!! I've copied that to a text file so I don't have to go hunting for it, when I get ready to do this. :D Which of those would be the absolute easiest, for a total newbie to all things electrical?

Thx again!!
Andria

Lucky1384

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 9, 2014
Sheffield, UK
Thank you so much!!! I've copied that to a text file so I don't have to go hunting for it, when I get ready to do this. :D Which of those would be the absolute easiest, for a total newbie to all things electrical?

Thx again!!
Andria

No problem :) I find the thicker the wire, the easier to wrap so would recommend the 30AWG. Good luck!

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
No problem :) I find the thicker the wire, the easier to wrap so would recommend the 30AWG. Good luck!

Excellent, and I would have to agree; I find a lot of these lil teeny things to be nearly impossible to grab/hold onto. So now I know what kind of wire to go hunting for.

I realize that my iTaste vv3 can function as an ohmeter to test it after it's built; are there any other specific tools that would be necessary/helpful for this task? I've got a screwdriver that I've always called a "geek tool" -- flat at one end, phillips at the other, and very very tiny -- originally it was a tool I used for computer stuff, hence "geek tool". :D My husband has got wire cutters of all kinds. Anything else? (already got the P&C yarn)

Thx!
Andria

Lucky1384

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 9, 2014
Sheffield, UK
Excellent, and I would have to agree; I find a lot of these lil teeny things to be nearly impossible to grab/hold onto. So now I know what kind of wire to go hunting for.

I realize that my iTaste vv3 can function as an ohmeter to test it after it's built; are there any other specific tools that would be necessary/helpful for this task? I've got a screwdriver that I've always called a "geek tool" -- flat at one end, phillips at the other, and very very tiny -- originally it was a tool I used for computer stuff, hence "geek tool". :D My husband has got wire cutters of all kinds. Anything else? (already got the P&C yarn)

Thx!
Andria

All I use for coils is the wire of choice, wire cutters, drill bit or similar to wrap around (I made a simple jig for this), butane torch and tweezers. Nothing beats stocking up on your own hand built coils made for all of about :2c: :D

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
All I use for coils is the wire of choice, wire cutters, drill bit or similar to wrap around (I made a simple jig for this), butane torch and tweezers. Nothing beats stocking up on your own hand built coils made for all of about :2c: :D

Hmm, don't have a torch... what's that for?

Andria

Lucky1384

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 9, 2014
Sheffield, UK
Hmm, don't have a torch... what's that for?

Andria

Sorry, I'm in microcoil mode, I've wound about 30 today! For rebuilding heads you can get away without using one, but for microcoils using this thickness especially it's a good tool to have. It makes winding a coil much easier. Once you have cut your length of Kanthal, slowly run the flame along the wire and it should glow bright red as you move it along. This will anneal the wire so it's much easier to shape.

Best thing to do is have a go at rebuilding a couple. If you have trouble forming the wire because of the natural springiness, a torch will solve that problem for you.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
Sorry, I'm in microcoil mode, I've wound about 30 today! For rebuilding heads you can get away without using one, but for microcoils using this thickness especially it's a good tool to have. It makes winding a coil much easier. Once you have cut your length of Kanthal, slowly run the flame along the wire and it should glow bright red as you move it along. This will anneal the wire so it's much easier to shape.

Best thing to do is have a go at rebuilding a couple. If you have trouble forming the wire because of the natural springiness, a torch will solve that problem for you.

Ok, well good to know I probably won't need it. My husband has been privy to all this, since he's a "real man," he loves those man toys. :D He says he wants to get a propane torch, not a butane; would that be usable, if/when I ever do the microcoil thing? Those are mainly for the dual-coil type atomizers, right?

Thx
Andria

Lucky1384

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 9, 2014
Sheffield, UK
Ok, well good to know I probably won't need it. My husband has been privy to all this, since he's a "real man," he loves those man toys. :D He says he wants to get a propane torch, not a butane; would that be usable, if/when I ever do the microcoil thing? Those are mainly for the dual-coil type atomizers, right?

Thx
Andria

You shouldn't need one for the build you're going for. As much of a man toy a propane torch is, it would most likely just ruin a wire as fine as that. Tell him even these little butane torches are pretty ferocious little things, mine pictured below sounds like a jet turbine at full throttle :D

Yes microcoils can be used in dual coil set ups, but I normally prefer just a single coil. With the gauges of wire I currently have, I can get as low as 0.7 ohms with a full 10 wraps or as high as 2.5. They're pretty versatile! Also great for the likes of Kayfuns. For any wire smaller than around 25AWG I find it essential to torch it first. The coils simply won't wrap neatly together while that springiness is still there.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
You shouldn't need one for the build you're going for. As much of a man toy a propane torch is, it would most likely just ruin a wire as fine as that. Tell him even these little butane torches are pretty ferocious little things, mine pictured below sounds like a jet turbine at full throttle :D

Yes microcoils can be used in dual coil set ups, but I normally prefer just a single coil. With the gauges of wire I currently have, I can get as low as 0.7 ohms with a full 10 wraps or as high as 2.5. They're pretty versatile! Also great for the likes of Kayfuns. For any wire smaller than around 25AWG I find it essential to torch it first. The coils simply won't wrap neatly together while that springiness is still there.

ROFL!! That's hilarious, I'd have to get him to do that anyway, if I really needed to, or I'd probably burn the house down.

I figure you guys going for this sub-ohm biz must have some outstanding facial hair, or leather lips; I was using a LR carto that registered at 2.2 Ω, and with an aluminum drip tip, managed to get a blister on both upper and lower lip. Also, the next-to-last replacement coils I ordered for the T3S, I got the 2.2 variety, and although the 2.5's had lasted upwards of 2 wks, those 2.2's were burnt black in 2 DAYS! So, for my cartos, I got the std resistance ones, and a glass and 2 plastic drip tips, and the last round of T3S coils I ordered, I stuck with the 2.5's. With my iTaste vv3, I can turn it up to like 4.8v with those, and they still seem to last a lot longer. with the 2.2's, if I go past 4.4v or *maybe* 4.5, I get a nasty burnt taste.

Also, you folks going for the really low Ω's might know this: in the morning, I'm a massive chain-vaper, trying to get my nicotine level up, and I find with the tanks, I get a nasty dry hit taste; the cartos seem to work best for that kind of constant heavy puffing. Is there any better option? Or any way I can keep the cotton-wicked tank coils from giving that horrible dry hit taste? I do find that the cotton gives a lot better taste, for the most part, but I can't stand that dry hit taste. And I don't really care for the drippers, unless I'm just testing new juices or testing out my "steeping" stash. Just too much fiddling-about, and *always* get a burnt-metal taste at first, and at some point I *always* manage to drip too much and get the gurgle. I don't think dripping is really for me, except for those test-taste cases.

Andria

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread