AAA battery box mod? Problems. . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Majestic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 11, 2009
N.E. Wisconsin
"Ok, so I used a 4xaaa battery box to make a nicostik-esque mod. I was using 3 AAAs and the size N coaxial."

I made the similar box today with AA batteries and am currently experimenting with it. I originally planned on using some AA Nic-cad rechargables I had. At first it didn't appear to be working. Only after holding the manual button in for a few seconds did it produce a very weak vapor. During the build, I noticed the Nic-cad AA batteries were rated at 1.2 volts so I decided to try regular alkalines AA which were rated at 1.5 volts. Switched batteries and plenty of vape. If you're doing the same, you might try different batteries.

Another possibility is that the AAA batteries don't have enough mAh to power the atomizer. Just a thought.

Zben504

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Apr 11, 2009
Tulsa, OK
www.VaporBliss.com
"Ok, so I used a 4xaaa battery box to make a nicostik-esque mod. I was using 3 AAAs and the size N coaxial."

I made the similar box today with AA batteries and am currently experimenting with it. I originally planned on using some AA Nic-cad rechargables I had. At first it didn't appear to be working. Only after holding the manual button in for a few seconds did it produce a very weak vapor. During the build, I noticed the Nic-cad AA batteries were rated at 1.2 volts so I decided to try regular alkalines AA which were rated at 1.5 volts. Switched batteries and plenty of vape. If you're doing the same, you might try different batteries.

Another possibility is that the AAA batteries don't have enough mAh to power the atomizer. Just a thought.

maybe the AAAs are the problem. I'm going to try to find a 4 AA box or bigger. I'm tired of screwin around with this thing.

breakfastchef

Moved On
Feb 12, 2009
maybe the AAAs are the problem. I'm going to try to find a 4 AA box or bigger. I'm tired of screwin around with this thing.

Sorry, but you statement is not somthing a modder would say. You received two valid possible solutions to your desing problem. First, the batteries you used are not good for heating a vaporizer. Second, if you are not sure the center contact of the atomizer is actually making contact, the device won't work. Going to a larger box is not going to make life any better if any of the two above items are not addressed. Lastly, buying off-the-shelf alkaline AA or AAA batteries are only going to work for a short time and then nothing. You need to identify and purchase a proper power source with plentiful mAh of capacity and voltage.

Last edited:

KoS

ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2009
VT, USA
At the very least you want NmHl batts. Lithum are ideal. The regular alkaline and Nicad don't release enuff curent at one time to power an inductive load like our attys. Those batts are for a small load over a short period. NmHl are a little better but lithum is where its at. They deliver a large curent fast and last longer depending on the mah it is rated.

Zben504

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Apr 11, 2009
Tulsa, OK
www.VaporBliss.com
Sorry, but you statement is not somthing a modder would say. You received two valid possible solutions to your desing problem. First, the batteries you used are not good for heating a vaporizer. Second, if you are not sure the center contact of the atomizer is actually making contact, the device won't work. Going to a larger box is not going to make life any better if any of the two above items are not addressed. Lastly, buying off-the-shelf alkaline AA or AAA batteries are only going to work for a short time and then nothing. You need to identify and purchase a proper power source with plentiful mAh of capacity and voltage.

I'm not terribly concerned about my status as a modder. Soldering and electricity just isnt my bag.
The center pin is making contact, and I'm using rechargeable batts with 800 maH. I dont want to go shell out huge amounts of money for a set of better AAAs when I can get a bigger batt box for three bucks and use the rechargeable AAs i already own.

planetofthevapes

ECF Veteran
Feb 28, 2009
Pandhandle of Nebraska
I have made two mods, one with AA rechargeables (3 of them) and one with 3 AAA's. Both vape like a dream. Are you sure you don't have a short? Maybe something got on your atomizer that is making the positive and negative make contact? Is the center pole bending and touching both? Is screwing the atomizer on making the center pole move and make contact with the surrounding fitting? I know you have prob already checked for these things, but 3.6 v is more than enough to make an atty work! I do agree though, if you already have AA's, might as well spend 2 more bucks and get an AA box. I am using both because I have both...and I like the diversity

Check out "inhaler" in the search bar for the forum, this is my new mod that uses 3 AAA's.

Don't think it's not for you just because your first is testing you. I thought modding wasn't for me and after nobody would make one for me, I decided to...and then found nico's instructions and modified them to work with my atty and now I'm having tons of fun. I can't walk through walmart without thoughts of modding everything that is sold there. It's fun really! Just keep trying, you'll get it. Promise!

Majestic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 11, 2009
N.E. Wisconsin
I'm not terribly concerned about my status as a modder. Soldering and electricity just isnt my bag.
The center pin is making contact, and I'm using rechargeable batts with 800 maH. I dont want to go shell out huge amounts of money for a set of better AAAs when I can get a bigger batt box for three bucks and use the rechargeable AAs i already own.

Here's what I've found out so far so maybe it will help you as well......

The rechargable Ni-Cad AA batteries I had were used previously and had been on the shelf for a while. Although they tested out good on a battery tester, they didn't have the peak capacity that a fresh set of Ni-cads had. A fresh set of Ni-cads produces good vapor.

Secondly, I originally was testing my box using a "well used" atomizer. Switching to a new atomizer greatly improved the performance with both the rechargable Ni-cads and the regular alkalines. Normally I use the atomizer with a 5 volt Pass Through so a little gunk build up isn't a problem. With the lower voltage of the box, a clean coil is a plus.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread