(ABC News/Health) Electronic Cigarettes: A Safer 'Smoke' or Another Bad Habit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Our House

ECF Veteran
Apr 29, 2009
NJ, USA
This part is pretty LOL:

The ease of concealing an e-cigarette habit (no smoke, no smell) may also make the product more appealing to teens, some argue, and certain brands of e-cigarettes have also been accused of marketing to kids by offering candy-like flavors such as chocolate, cherry, mocha, or almond.

Though he doesn't know any teens who have latched onto the habit, Dr. Petros Levounis, director of the Addiction Institute of New York, says that "there is definitely reason for concern here."
In other words, "I have no evidence whatsoever to back up my speculative claims" is what the good doctor is saying.

ezmoose

Dec 18, 2009
USA
Commented; however, it doesn't appear to be getting though?

I’m all for protecting children from harm; who wouldn’t be. But for these so called “health organizations” to use this approach is ludicrous and manipulative. I don’t know of any child who is interested in E Cigarettes. Why would they be? For about ten percent of what it costs to buy an E Cigarette Starter Kit, kids can buy the real “cool” version that comes with a myriad of health threatening ingredients and produces smoke! If nicotine in and of itself were a significant health threat, why is it available in FDA approved products (Nicorette Gum for example) without a prescription and in kid friendly flavors? There are trace amounts of carcinogens in these products too! The other ingredients in E Cigarettes (Propylene Glycol, Vegetable Glycerin, and Food Flavorings) do not pose a significant health risk; the FDA has classified them as Generally Regarded As Safe (GRAS).

E Cigarettes cater to nicotine addicted smokers (adults) who can not or choose not to quit nicotine but can continue to enjoy nicotine (which has benefits) less the most harmful part; the SMOKE! Why consenting adults should be denied flavored E Cigarettes is beyond me? Alcoholic and caffeinated beverages come in flavors; should that be forbidden to protect the kids?

E Cigarettes don’t burn or otherwise produce smoke; they make steam which quickly dissipates. In a society where our air space is continually fouled by vehicle exhaust, factories, power plants, chemical and petroleum refineries, etc., what’s the big deal about steam? Kids riding on diesel powered school buses are subjected to hazardous fumes that have been linked to lung diseases; should school buses be banned?

E Cigarettes have been on the market (worldwide) going on seven years now. Millions of consumers and not one report of serious illness or injury connected with them; NOT ONE! I’d say that is a fairly large test sample of volunteer participants; certainly much larger than the typical FDA study. So I’m supposed to quit using an E Cigarette, return to smoking, while the FDA drags its feet and struggles to find any reason (valid or not) to ban them? There are many studies that support E Cigarette are magnitudes safer than smoking; however, the FDA Et al. choose to ignore them. Why doesn’t the FDA do more studies; are they afraid of being proven wrong? Perhaps they have and are withholding the results?

I started using an E Cigarette on December 6, 2009. I stopped smoking immediately; this after smoking two packs a day for 40 years. The improvement in my health, particularly my ability to breathe, has been on the upswing ever since. Now the FDA wants to ban E Cigarettes based on hypothetical and unfounded fears!

If the FDA would just classify E Cigarettes as a tobacco product, they would be able to regulate them and ensure quality control standards are met. Instead, the FDA is insisting that they be classified as a Drug Delivery device (like coffee mugs aren’t). This would effectively ban them, discourage others from making the switch, and steer current E Cigarette consumers back to a well known killer; SMOKING! One has to question their motives!

Oh well, I'm confident it will all be covered anyway! lol

Commented (after the first one was rejected earlier today):

The time is long overdue for e-cig supporters to band together and take a PRO-active stance rather than wait for the axe to fall in the form of bans and restrictions. We need to speak to our local, state, and federal representatives and senators, the President, and maybe have a Reduced Harm march on DC. I'm sick and tired of junk science parading as truth, fueled and funded by corporate vampires who don't give a tinker's dam about anyone's health...only about their bottom line: MONEY. PROFIT. MARKET SHARE. TAX REVENUE. I vape four (4) ingredients, all food grade: VG, distilled water, flavoring, and nicotine. That's it. And people are seriously frightened? If they are, then the scare tactics have effectively sucked out whatever intelligence used to exist in America. Give me liberty--I finally chose LIFE and have a right to live it in peace.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
EZ, the kid angle has driven me nuts the last couple days. It all started when the dear state of NJ took three kids from their not too intelligent parents because they named them after Nazis. Their boy is Adolph Hitler whatever the last name is, but the courts upheld child abuse, but never specified other than the stupidity of what they had done.

After reading that and the constant anti's use of the kids to prop up their cause, I think it's high time that the responsibility for the kids should fall back on the parents. After all, if second hand smoke endangers kids, what does bad parenting do? Let's have the organization Campaign for Bad Parent Free Kids take over and insist we get Bad Parents off the market. Ban 'em and if you can't get them to do it right, take the kids from them and let the government raise them the way they know how.

Somehow we'll need to fund this effort. Since we know that bad parenting leads to lost productivity and health risks there should be excise taxes placed on this group. I personally don't want to be paying for their bad habits and I personally find the results of their bad habit affecting me. I say we start insisting that 1. if you have to have kids, you stay out of public property (that includes private businesses of course like malls, etc) to interact with them. 2. Under the no smoking signs, no kid signs should be similarly attached. 3. No kids in public parks and at outdoor events. I don't know how many times a screaming kid has bothered me when I was sitting on a park bench enjoying a smoke (when I smoked).

They've got to start studying the effect of second hand kids. I volunteer in a thrift store. I don't even need to see the kids were there to know they were , you just have to look at the mess they leave in the book area to know it. Of course part of the problem is their bad parents, but you can't even use ventilation systems to correct the damage done.

Okay, enough having fun, but you can make a case for putting the responsibility for what the kids to on their parents.

ezmoose

Dec 18, 2009
USA
Okay, enough having fun, but you can make a case for putting the responsibility for what the kids to on their parents.

Personal responsibility and proper parenting; I sort of remember when that was the ideal goal. Now it's the state raising the kids; flashback to Adolf’s Germany. Next the kids will be reporting on the activities of the parents!

MoonRose

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2010
Indiana, USA
Personal responsibility and proper parenting; I sort of remember when that was the ideal goal. Now it's the state raising the kids; flashback to Adolf’s Germany. Next the kids will be reporting on the activities of the parents!

They already are, that's one of the things stressed to them in school the first day they start. If you see mommy or daddy doing ????, then you come and tell one of your teachers or a policeman.

ezmoose

Dec 18, 2009
USA
Last edited:

xg4bx

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2010
Phillipsburg, New Jersey
Not too bad if the reader goes past the first couple of pages. I always get a kick out of the teen marketing angle - if a teen is going online and spending hundreds of dollars without the parents' knowledge, then lack of parenting is what they should focus on.

Amen. I highly doubt any teen would even have an interest in e-cigs. If a kid had $50,$60,$70 they're gonna go buy a pack of Newports or a dime bag and an Xbox game, they're not gonna sit and order an e-cig.

Personally I think a big part of the difficulty that PVs receive is due purely to the term "e-cig". I'm guilty of using it too, as I did above, but hearing the term "cig" or cigarette just drives alot of people crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread