The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

About linking to news stories: Read This First!

Discussion in 'Legislation News' started by Oliver, Jun 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Oliver

Oliver ECF Founder, formerly SmokeyJoe Admin Verified Member

If you wish to link to a story you have found elsewhere, please feel free to do so, but please do not reprint the full text on ECF.

Instead, choose a couple of sentences that sum up the story, put them in [*quote*][/*quote*] tags (without the asterisks) and then give a link to the original story (ie, not reprinted on another site, but from the original source).

Also, please would you ensure that what you are posting is a genuine *news* article. Please don't post blog articles or opinion pieces here (unless they are exceptionally authorititive) - they are much better suited to the general discussion forum.

Finally, please would you do a quick check before you do post to make sure the item hasn't already been posted.

Many thanks,

SJ

• Like Like x 1
  2. tvujec

tvujec Senior Member ECF Veteran

Apr 18, 2009
    Raleigh, NC
    And I would like to add, please check if the link to the story is already posted. Most e-cig stories have multiple threads discussing them, and this should be avoided.

3. LUX Vaporer

LUX Vaporer Senior Member ECF Veteran

Apr 4, 2009
    OC California
    So... if I have a news blog site, I cant link to it?

4. abudman

abudman Senior Member ECF Veteran

May 28, 2009
    Omaha, NE USA
    The point SJ was making was to link the story, not paste the whole story, bandwidth don't ya know...

5. LUX Vaporer

LUX Vaporer Senior Member ECF Veteran

Apr 4, 2009
    OC California
    (ie, not reprinted on another site, but from the original source).

ya might have overlooked this... lol

6. Oliver

Oliver ECF Founder, formerly SmokeyJoe Admin Verified Member

Nothing to do with bandwidth - it's about copyright.

• Like Like x 2
  7. BigJimW

BigJimW Moved On ECF Veteran

May 17, 2009
    Warwick, RI
    Copyright? I don't need do steenking copyright. :)

This is to notify all that any videos that have the © Moonport Productions at the end, can be used on your blog, website, etc with no permission. This includes videos posted on YouTube, PitTube, and Moonport.Org.

So, to answer the frequently asked question I get, the answer is YES. Post it! :)

8. Satyr

Satyr Senior Member ECF Veteran

It really shouldn't be a problem as long as you cite the source. But, it's a simple rule. I don't see any reason to argue with it. If nothing else, it keeps the boards looking clean.

9. Sun Vaporer

Sun Vaporer Moved On ECF Veteran

Jan 2, 2009
    Florida

Satyr--look up the Fair Use Doctirne---that is what is being referred to.

Sun

10. Satyr

Satyr Senior Member ECF Veteran

Ah, gotcha! ;)

11. Dolly

Dolly Full Member

Oct 24, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hey Smokey--Thanks for the advice. I was aware the the Matt Salmon piece was indeed an opinion/blog piece and not an article. I'll post pieces like those in the General discussion forum next time! ^_^

12. bobtow

bobtow Super Member ECF Veteran

Dec 11, 2009
    Wallaceburg ON. Canada
    I came upon this article about ecigareetes in combat situations. This is a shortcut to the article. Can't upload that file here is the url.
    [link now dead]

13. Koman

Koman Moved On ECF Veteran

Jan 7, 2010
    lv
    Wow, that's some interesting stuff. Thanks for sharing with us!

14. aikanae1

aikanae1 Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 2, 2013
    az
    I'm wondering if CASAA has objections to me posting alerts and updates on a couple of other sites?

I wouldn't include links to ECF since this is not the original source. Only original source links would be included.

15. Lisa Belle

Lisa Belle Super Member ECF Veteran

Apr 26, 2010
    Sylvania, OH
  16. Koman

Koman Moved On ECF Veteran

Jan 7, 2010
    lv
  17. ctaylor4874

ctaylor4874 Full Member Verified Member

Aug 13, 2012
    Houston, TX
    That's great!! Now we just need this to be the result in every city that proposes a ban!! We can't let them get a foot in the door with regulating ecigs in any way!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.