About to dip into DIY Liquids

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan Lee

ECF Veteran
Jan 9, 2014
Kansas
www.youtube.com
Hello all you beautiful people out in vapeland! I am fairly new to the site, so forgive me if I am in the wrong spot or asking repeated questions.

I am about to splurge on a ton of items from MyFreedomSmokes. I am going to get some nicotine, pg, vg, bottles, syringes, beakers, basically all the things that I can think of that I will need to begin my DIY journey. I have been vaping since August of last year, and am growing tired of spending big on the juices that I love. Not that I don't mind supporting my local shops, but I have always been tempted to make my own. As it seems fun, and I think I will be able to better dial in my juices to throw on my custom builds on the drippers I own.

My main concern is flavor concentrates. On MFS website, they offer flavorings from Loranns, FlavourArt, TheFlavorApprentice, and a house MFS brand. I am just wondering which of these if any are proven to have a good track record as far as basic flavorings go. And I would also like a little input on if their nicotine is of high quality. The reviews all seem great, and I like how they come in amber glass.

Right now I am going for a really sweet pink lemonade juice, as I am now going through 65 ml bottles about every week from my local shop. It is some really tasty stuff, and is also very very sweet which I seem to really like. So I assume he is adding some kind of sweetener to the mix as they have a separate pink lemonade that while tastes the same, but not nearly as sweet as the "Steve's pink lemonade" that I have been going through like crazy.

I am asthmatic, although since quitting smoking I have improved so much. Hardly use my inhaler, and haven't needed a breathing treatment in months, even through these terrible allergy seasons we have had here in Kansas. Just throwing that out there. Not sure if certain flavors / sweetener additives add to problems with asthmatics. I know of ethyl maltol as being used as a sweetener, and am sure that is what my local place is adding. I seem to be doing just fine off of it. but maybe there is a even better alternative out there that I just don't know about.

Hopefully some of you kind people can give me some input, as I am very eager to begin my DIY journey. And I know you awesome people have experience!

Thanks a ton in advance!

:laugh: :banana: :laugh:

Ryan Lee

ECF Veteran
Jan 9, 2014
Kansas
www.youtube.com
Ok good to know. Thank you for your input.

Another question that comes to mind is, say I am buying 500ml of unflavored nic at 24mg strength 100% vg. My desired strength of nicotine for basically all of my juices will come out to 6mg, as I primarily am a dripper. Would I basically be cutting this down with vg to say 2000ml to target my 6mg strength. That is of course if I wanted, I know the juice me up calculator will factor your desired strength. But I am just trying to figure out if 500mg of 24mg nic solution will last me for quite some time if my target is around 6mg.

And finally, is 100% vg nic solution most desirable if I will be mixing my juices to a higher vg concentrate. Say 30%pg and 70%vg.

readeuler

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2014
Ohio, USA
I started DIY rather recently, within the last month or two. I found that my first order was basically a trial run. I got the good stuff - syringes, needles, bottles, nic, bases - but also many flavors that didn't quite work out.

That said, I still made about 100ml of juice and found 2-3 creations that got me to my next order, just flavors and a few bottles.

I guess my advice is to find a "vendor" thread here in the DIY section that you think you can get into, and read a couple dozen pages of each. I'm a big fan of the TFA thread, so I've been ordering all TFA flavors, getting great advice, and great recipes. I know there's at least one more specific vendor thread (the one that starts with I that I can't spell... Inawera?). Simply following that thread and developing a brand loyalty, I now have dozens of recipes I want to try, and many that I have tried have been great.

So I'm currently using all TFA flavors, until I really get a feel for DIY. Then I'll have the option and skill to branch out.

I would recommend flavors named after a specific food/ingredient, for now. That is, "rainbow drops" may be great, but if it's not, there isn't much hope for it. If "strawberry" isn't to your liking, it's almost guaranteed there's a recipe that would make it more palatable.

I hear FlavourArt's lemonade is quite good, by the way.

Heabob

ECF Veteran
Mar 17, 2014
Bay City, Michigan
12 ml of FA and CAP flavorings for 2.99 at E-LiquidMart, (best deal).
http://www.eliquidmart.com/

And BullCity also has FW, FA. CAP, TFA, INW, Hangsen
Plus they sell the cleaner type Nicotine

Bull City Vapor - Best Prices on DIY e-liquid Supplies

Most of the FA, INW, and Hangsen flavors are used at only 1-3%,
FW, TFA, and CAP run from 8-15%, (except as used for mixers or additives then 1-5%).

There are a few exceptions within each brand that need less or more.

Ryan Lee

ECF Veteran
Jan 9, 2014
Kansas
www.youtube.com
Most flavors have PG as the carrier, so if you want 70%VG mixes the 100%VG nic makes good sense.

At 65ml/week, you should get 30+ weeks of juice at your 6mg target.

Good luck

Solid advice, thank you! I have decided to go with a higher concentrate of nicotine, went with a 500ml bottle of 60mg strength as I was told the less nicotine solution you have to mix in, the better your flavor will be. Also, I do believe it should last even longer now as I will be using a much smaller amount in each batch!

Cheers for the input! :toast:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread