The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Absolutely terrified of my batteries.

Discussion in 'Battery Issues' started by lost.n.disturbed88, Nov 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. lost.n.disturbed88

lost.n.disturbed88 Senior Member ECF Veteran

Nov 27, 2012
    texas
    Alright, so I'd like to keep from blowing my face off... And haven't done much as far as battery safety (I'd let my one battery charge overnight). But I got a battery from my local b&m store yesterday. It's bigger than the battery that came with my zmax, although it still fits and secures. Quite broke right now (first of the month... yay bills) so I'm not in a position to buy better stuff right now. But from the below list, what should be my biggest concerns and how can I keep my current relationship with my face?

Ok, here's my stuffs.

Li-ion charger (came with zmax)
    model nk-803
    input ac100-240v 50/60Hz
    output 4.2v=1000 mah

A blue (no visible brand) (came with zmax) 18650 2200mah 3.6v (with a button on top)

A trustfire 18650 3.7v li-ion 3000mah (also has a button on top)(bought at local b&m)

A sigeli z Max (... came with self :p)

Thank you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

2. lost.n.disturbed88

Nov 27, 2012
    texas
    Oh. And the trustfire Battery never actually made my charger light turn green.... I placed it on my table and watched it for 6 hours. It stayed red. However, my zmax read the battery at 4.0v and quickly went to 3.9v

3. SpicyMcHaggis

SpicyMcHaggis Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 14, 2012
    Hamilton Ohio
    I'd recommend a quality battery charger. I have a Pila and it's just great. Also a battery case for toting extras around.

4. serenity21899

serenity21899 Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 18, 2013
    Antioch IL
    Home page

Good prices on batteries and chargers. I feel like you need to replace both. I don't have that device, so I won't tell you what batteries to use, but plenty of others will.

5. lost.n.disturbed88

Nov 27, 2012
    texas
    A better question might be; do you think these items will safely hold up for about a month before I can afford good stuff

6. SpicyMcHaggis

SpicyMcHaggis Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 14, 2012
    Hamilton Ohio
    I'm pretty certain they will. Don't let it worry you.

7. DaveP

DaveP PV Master & Musician ECF Veteran

May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    I'd worry about a battery that went red and never turned green. If your charger actually does have a 1000mah charge rate it should take roughly 2 hours to charge a battery.

I'm happy with my Nitecore I4 and very satisfied with the Trustfire TR-001 that served me well for years before that. I've never had a battery not turn the LED green in a reasonable amount of time. Your Trustfire should have hit 4.2 and turned the light green.

It's a common saying around here, "Never buy a battery with trust or fire in its name". That's probably over the top, but there are better brands to love. AW, Panasonic, and Sanyo come to mind and there are many variants and re-labels on the market.

8. pr0v8ping
    This message by pr0v8ping has been removed from public view. Deleted by a moderator, Dec 11, 2013, Reason: Unregistered Supplier.
    Nov 30, 2013
  9. lost.n.disturbed88

Nov 27, 2012
    texas
    What about my pv? Will I get a warning before a boom?

10. WindyCityJoe

WindyCityJoe Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Oct 6, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    Sounds like the same charger and blue battery I got with my Vamo V2, except my battery is a flat top. Been working fine for about 2 months now. :toast:

11. K_Tech

K_Tech Slightly mad but harmless Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Sep 11, 2013
    Eastern Ohio, USA
    If the cartoons I watched as a kid are true, usually a loud ticking sound. (Just kidding).

However:

Lithium battery venting

Bear in mind that this is a worst-case scenario, a direct positive to negative short circuit.

Now, take a deep breath, and turn your Zmax upside-down. See that hole (or those holes) in the bottom cap? Those are there to allow battery gases to escape should the battery vent, instead of allowing pressure to build up inside the tube until it ruptures.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.