Acid Reflux and vaping

Status
Not open for further replies.

AussiePJ

Jun 6, 2017
I have been suffering reflux for a few weeks after replacing cigarettes with vaping 8 months earlier. My immediate assumption was the vaping as it definitely worsened it.

I was running a cinnamon liquid at the time and google suggested that could be the cause, I switched liquids and the symptoms improved but lingered.

I have been vaping less and less due to the irritation and finding myself craving cigarettes for the first time since quiting.

Today though I brought a new setup and the reflux symptoms disappeared.

My guess was aged coils releasing something which was causing inflammation or perhaps cinnamon residue on the coils.

I replace my wicks around twice a week and dry burn but had never washed. Was running premade, high quality aliens.

If you are running old coils it might worth switching them out.

Best of luck with it, reflux is terrible, I feel human for the first time in weeks today.

anavidfan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2012
U.S.
Hi Aussie and fellow acid reflux sufferers.
I agree, it was a combination of the cinnamon and the coils being older.

A lot of people say they use their coils for months and up to a year I think I read somewhere...
My thoughts and these are just MY thoughts are just because they can last that long, should they be used that long. Wires are so cheap? I can understand those that buy expensive premade "alien, and the other exotic " works of art and time, but with all those nooks and crevices, how can one really be sure its not got some gunk still in it ? I change my coils often, and dry burn one more time, maybe 2 and change out. Its so fast , cheap and easy.

I bought about 10 1lb spools of 316 SS wire years ago when it first started to be used for vaping, and found a UK site that was so cheap that even with the shipping it was a 1/4 of the price for the same in kanthal. I have yet to finish the 500 meter roll I got as a trial.

I find that after 2 dry burns the taste is not quite the same even with new cotton, seems the taste just degrades. I use little micro brushes to scrub my coils after I rinse and use a soft toothbrush to do before I dry burn. Then I go over them when they are cool and repeat.

I wanted to come on here and say HI to all Ive met here to tell you that at least with me, stress is the biggest hurdle in keeping AR in line.

I recently started taking another med on top of the 40mg Omerprazole. Dr gave me 40mg of Pantoprazole, and it has really helped at least till the holidays hit.

Ive been so sick for months now. Even eating like a 90 year old, cutting down my beloved coffee and no sour candies, etc. I throw up at least once daily. Its hard to sleep etc.

Due to reasons I cant change, my personal life is really awful and stressful and danged depressive.

If you all have things stressing you try to change things, and if dont know , look at everything and everyone around you and try to figure out who or what is " making you sick "

Ive lost 40lbs, which is sort of a good thing, but I would not recommend this "diet" to anyone. My teeth hurt from all the acid and I try to be gentle but have to clean them or Im going to loose them all.

Take it easy on yourselves and try to be kind to yourselves.

oplholik

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2011
San Bernardino area, So. Cal.
Hi @anavidfan sorry to hear your still having so much trouble. Sleeping on a wedge to elevate the upper body sure helped me in sleeping better. I hope 2018 will be a better year for you.
For me, doing pretty good. I have been taking the 40mg of Pantoprazole, but think I could go back to the Ranitidine and will check with the Dr on that. If I kinda watch what, and how much I eat, I don't have too much of a problem anymore. Eating just a little too much = throwing up. I just have to remember to stop eating before I feel full.
I did have to stop taking Ibuprofen for my arthritis, and back pain, as the Dr said that could be causing some of the problems I was having that he saw in the endoscopy. The only thing I take a pain reliever for now is for headaches, I just cannot tolerate those.
I hope for the best of all the sufferers this year, take care of yourselves, as best you can. :wub:

Reactions: anavidfan

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    Wow, 40mg on top of 40mg, AAF? I have 20mg doses of Omep and was only taking 1. My doctor called and approved a double dose now. Maybe I'll try 60 for a bit.

I did get a wedge- 7.5". Tried it semi-successfully on top of the mattress and now trying it underneath. I keep sliding down, lol.

Dose-wise, I've been taking a 20mg in the morning with coffee and then 20 a half hour b4 dinner @ 6pm?? Trying to keep my pre-bedtime snacking to a minimum.

TY for all the input here folks.

r77r7r

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    By now, I know pretty much know how much I can eat at a time and be ok, as long as it's not very spicy. But sometimes things are sooo good, I get carried away, and then of course, pay for it later.
    Yes, taking the whole box or bag to the couch is a no-no now, lol. Great way to learn how to diet- stopping early. I'm going to celebrate someday when I recover by eating an entire bag of Lays!

Louis Alexander

Mar 29, 2018
    Hey all,

i've got it really bad. It doesn't matter what i eat or not except some fat foods make it worse for sure. I went to the doctors a couple weeks ago got pantoprazol prescribed it helped for 2 days. But now im on gaviscon liquids, and theyre fairly expensive to buy aswel. Im wondering if it's vape related aswel honestly, it doesn't really matter vg or pg for me. I went from 6 to 3 nicotine and nothing changed. I hate getting a gasthroscope or whatever you call it im really scared if a tube down my throat and not freak out but i think i might have to call the doctor again tomorrow. All i ate was bread and cauliflower with potatoes in the evening and it is still there. Sometimes i vape every hour but i get the sense it hardly matters but it does contribute to my acid reflux. Im so sick of the pain i almost want to get back to smoking because the chemicals in e liquid contribute to it i feel like. I have to call the doctor again tomorrow the pain is unbareable in the evening i can't even function anymore.

• Optimistic
    Reactions: stols001

r77r7r

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    Hey all,

i've got it really bad. It doesn't matter what i eat or not except some fat foods make it worse for sure. I went to the doctors a couple weeks ago got pantoprazol prescribed it helped for 2 days. But now im on gaviscon liquids, and theyre fairly expensive to buy aswel. Im wondering if it's vape related aswel honestly, it doesn't really matter vg or pg for me. I went from 6 to 3 nicotine and nothing changed. I hate getting a gasthroscope or whatever you call it im really scared if a tube down my throat and not freak out but i think i might have to call the doctor again tomorrow. All i ate was bread and cauliflower with potatoes in the evening and it is still there. Sometimes i vape every hour but i get the sense it hardly matters but it does contribute to my acid reflux. Im so sick of the pain i almost want to get back to smoking because the chemicals in e liquid contribute to it i feel like. I have to call the doctor again tomorrow the pain is unbareable in the evening i can't even function anymore.
    I believe that it takes a couple weeks for something like omeprozole to work. For me, I had it while I smoked and it's much better now while using even low dose omeprozole. Didn't seem to matter if I vaped or smoked. Gl

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 11, 2010
    between here and there
    I took 40mg of omeprazole a day for years and just stopped it last year. I still have to make sure I don't over eat and have cut down on the spice in my foods, but other than that am doing really well.

I am so sorry so many of you have this problem. I know just how miserable this can be. I still sleep with my head elevated, I don't think that will ever change.

Best wishes to all

:)

Louis Alexander

Mar 29, 2018
    Magnesium? What foods am i looking for didnt go to doctor today i might monday i still have 10 pantoprazols left and yeah the doctor mentioned it takes weeks before it really take affect. So i might have to renew my subscribtion i ordered some milky flavored juices and softer ones and avoid the really sweet ones. I alrdy eat pretty healthy, neither do i wake up in pain but i can taste the acid sometimes. Its mostly in the evening that it starts to get painful.

Also maybe a tip for anyone eating 1 or 2 apples helps to relief it aswel, at first i thought its sour with acids but it actually neutralizes your stomache acids if theyre off. Personally they help a little. I just gotta eat safe for a few months it sucks but theres no other option.

Last edited:
    Reactions: stols001

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    Hey all,

Hang in there Louis.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 11, 2010
    between here and there
    Magnesium? What foods am i looking for didnt go to doctor today i might monday i still have 10 pantoprazols left and yeah the doctor mentioned it takes weeks before it really take affect. So i might have to renew my subscribtion i ordered some milky flavored juices and softer ones and avoid the really sweet ones. I alrdy eat pretty healthy, neither do i wake up in pain but i can taste the acid sometimes. Its mostly in the evening that it starts to get painful.

Also maybe a tip for anyone eating 1 or 2 apples helps to relief it aswel, at first i thought its sour with acids but it actually neutralizes your stomache acids if theyre off. Personally they help a little. I just gotta eat safe for a few months it sucks but theres no other option.
    You may want to do some research on "Mothers" apple cider vinegar. This has helped me in neutralizing the acid in my stomach. Also ask your doctor before you consider taking this route.

I really am hesitant to even suggest that but it really does work. I just took a tsp in the morning straight, but you can use it in salad dressings, mixed in water, etc. But please consult your doctor first as I am only stating what has helped me.

Louis Alexander

Mar 29, 2018
    Yesterday was better, i get it from sugar aswel pretty bad. My stomache stopped honking like crazy aswel so i might get better its just taking a lot of time. I vaped a little more than the previous day, as long as i stick with milky soft flavors its okay. If i vape apple or anything sweet it does contribute to my acid atleast its bareable today. :)

And yeah i'll let you know how it goes. Been 3 weeks on pantoprozal i have a history of bad or not eating properly and now im paying for it. I eat regular now and healthy cause im done with it lets hope it improves over time.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread