The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Acrylic Ash Cap Replacement

Discussion in 'Cosmetic Mods' started by sio2, Aug 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. sio2

sio2 Full Member ECF Veteran

Jun 27, 2009
    Brooklyn
    I'm not a fan of the traditional ash cap that comes on stock batteries, so I started making my own from acrylic.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The led is pretty darn bright now. I think I'll have to make a few in black delrin for stealthy vaping.

2. Cisco

Cisco Unregistered Supplier ECF Veteran

Apr 13, 2009
    NY, State of denial
    nice job sio2, you machine them yourself?

Cisco...

3. RIMP

RIMP Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Can we purchase:p

4. geeker

geeker Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 12, 2009
    Neither here nor there
    That's really cool! Thinking of some jeweled bling caps, but yours are clean and modern-looking.

5. sio2

Jun 27, 2009
    Brooklyn
    Cisco, yes I machined them myself.

RIMP, I hadn't really thought about it. I'll have to do a few more and see how long it takes me.

6. Moobyghost

Moobyghost Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Jul 6, 2009
    New Church, Virginia
    can you take a pic of a standard ash cap led in the dark, and then one of yours in the dark? I would like to see a comparison. If it is as you say you may have to teach me how to do this. :)

7. sio2

Jun 27, 2009
    Brooklyn
    I tried taking pics with my ash cap and with a standard, but there isn't a discernible difference in the pics. It may just appear brighter to me because I can see more of it. Or it's possible I need to get better with a camera.

Thanks for all the nice comments.

8. RIMP

RIMP Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Very welcome,:) Quite nice:evil:

9. kinabaloo

kinabaloo Vaping Master ECF Veteran

The ash cap was a nice initial idea but there can be better solutions. I like what you have created - clean and modern design.

Brighter yes too, and also - and this is the main advantage - one can see the LED glow yourself :)

I came up with a simple alternative some time ago, described here: Be able to see the LED glow on your 901 !

10. Moobyghost

Moobyghost Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Jul 6, 2009
    New Church, Virginia
  11. raltenbach

raltenbach Full Member ECF Veteran

May 11, 2009
    West Allis, WI USA
    Excellent mod. That looks super sexy! If I find myself employed by a machine shop again, I may need to get more details from you.

12. Lisaf01

Lisaf01 Unregistered Supplier ECF Veteran

Jun 22, 2009
    UK
    This is a really nice little mod. I HATE those crappy cheap-looking grey fake ash cap thingies.

13. sio2

Jun 27, 2009
    Brooklyn
    Not much to them, I turned down some scrap acrylic stock to the same diameter as the 901 outer casing. Turned down the shoulder, until it fit snugly into the end of the battery tube. Because the led is almost flush to the end of the battery tube, you have to hollow the center. I used a 1/4" spotting drill to cut this recess. Cut it off, and lapped it on a piece of 320 sandpaper to clean up the face. You also have to cut a small hole in the side wall to allow air to pass through if it is an automatic battery.

Ok that sounds worse than it is. Its really only about 2 minutes worth of work.

14. four2109

four2109 Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 9, 2009
    S. Indiana
  15. Robert

Robert Moved On

Jun 18, 2009
    San Diego, CA.
    ok I just read this and I busted off my ash cap- the led looks cool inside

then I had a great Idea- put the rubber cap that come on a cart over the end- the effect is fricking awesome- go do it now!

16. Robert

Robert Moved On

Jun 18, 2009
    San Diego, CA.
    it glows so bright I ca see it all right

fits in the pcc- might even work better- wow- cheap easy mod thank to the guy who started this and the rest.

17. raltenbach

raltenbach Full Member ECF Veteran

May 11, 2009
    West Allis, WI USA
    Thanks for the details sio2. Now all I need is to be un-laid off from the tool shop and I'm in there! Maybe someone I know could spend the few minutes on a lathe and knock a few of these out for me. Fewer steps needed for my manual switch batts too.

18. cekte

cekte Super Member ECF Veteran

Feb 5, 2009
    Oregon
    Nice work sio2. Simplistic yet looks great.

19. Robert

Robert Moved On

Jun 18, 2009
    San Diego, CA.
    I love the look of your acrilic cap- but since I'm so lazy

I used the clear rubber cap- from the cart

I can pnow pack the cig- tap it on the table and the liquid seem to be forced down, and it look kind cool- the light effect is definetly cooler

but if you decide to sell some acrilic caps pm me

thanks Robert

20. TnA

TnA Super Member ECF Veteran

Apr 19, 2009
    Fayetteville, NC
    Beautiful mod, sio. Have you considered trying the same thing in nylon? It seems to diffuse more than acrylic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.