Acrylic Ash Cap Replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

sio2

ECF Veteran
Jun 27, 2009
Brooklyn
www.flintweisser.com
I'm not a fan of the traditional ash cap that comes on stock batteries, so I started making my own from acrylic.

newAshCap1.jpg

newAshCap2.jpg

The led is pretty darn bright now. I think I'll have to make a few in black delrin for stealthy vaping.

kinabaloo

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
The ash cap was a nice initial idea but there can be better solutions. I like what you have created - clean and modern design.

Brighter yes too, and also - and this is the main advantage - one can see the LED glow yourself :)

I came up with a simple alternative some time ago, described here: Be able to see the LED glow on your 901 !

sio2

ECF Veteran
Jun 27, 2009
Brooklyn
www.flintweisser.com
Not much to them, I turned down some scrap acrylic stock to the same diameter as the 901 outer casing. Turned down the shoulder, until it fit snugly into the end of the battery tube. Because the led is almost flush to the end of the battery tube, you have to hollow the center. I used a 1/4" spotting drill to cut this recess. Cut it off, and lapped it on a piece of 320 sandpaper to clean up the face. You also have to cut a small hole in the side wall to allow air to pass through if it is an automatic battery.

Ok that sounds worse than it is. Its really only about 2 minutes worth of work.

TnA

ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2009
Fayetteville, NC
I'm not a fan of the traditional ash cap that comes on stock batteries, so I started making my own from acrylic.

The led is pretty darn bright now. I think I'll have to make a few in black delrin for stealthy vaping.

Beautiful mod, sio. Have you considered trying the same thing in nylon? It seems to diffuse more than acrylic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread