• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Act of kindness on the highway.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

thelook

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
Hubby and I have been away from home working in Ohio for the last 4 weeks, we headed back home on Saturday morning.

Drive was going smooth and moods were up....then we get stuck on the Chicago skyway in bumper to bumper traffic....creeping along so close to home....then it clears up and we start moving again....wooooohoooo!!
Driving along at 68mph and everything goes dead!
No gages were working at all!

We carefully make our way over to the right shoulder from the left lane and the BEAST (hubs truck) dies!

We are only 138 miles from home and worn out from 16 hour workdays, just wanting to get home:(

We call for a wrecker and start the wait, we know that since it is a Saturday evening that our chances of getting our car fixed is a big fat ZERO...we know that we will be hiring a cab, finding a hotel and waiting till Monday hoping to get the car looked at.

So there we are hubby, me and little BeBe the dog standing on the side of the very busy skyway with cars whipping past us, hot as can be!

Then I spot it!!
The red wrecker!!!

I am so happy that I start jumping up and down waving and smiling!
The guy jumps out of the truck and I give him a huge hug! LOL

He hooks the BEAST up and loads us in to his nice airconditioned cab...ahhhh.

He said he has never been greeted so nicely before, that most people are yelling and mad by the time he gets to them.

He suggested a nice hotel and a good garage for the car and was prepared to take us there.

We already figured out it was the alternator, so I just said in joking "to bad there is not someone who could just drop a new one in for us tonight, since we are so close to home".

He said "I was a mech for 15 years, lets go see if the auto parts store is open, and I will be glad to do it for you, you are such nice people and thats rare in my business and in my town".

We were dumbstruck!!!

We went to his home (very modest) and got his tools and went to the auto parts store....guess what? they had ONE left in stock!
He repaired the BEAST in a matter of 20 min!!!!

What a wonderful man!!

We had a heck of a time getting him to take any money for his trouble!
There are still wonderful people in this world and I was blessed to have met one of them!
Thank you JIM!!!!!

HzG8rGrl

Trippy Tip Hoarder
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 11, 2009
*The Swamp*
www.youtube.com
Wonderful story. Thanks for reminding us to remember we are not the only ones out there, stranded along the busy highway with everyone just mindlessly wooshing by and not giving two cents for those who are in need. Not only are those on the side of the road in need, sometimes it is the kind soul who is in need of a little kindness!
Glad you three made it back home safely!

thelook

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
Thank you ladies, it is nice to be back home safe and pretty much sound! LOL
I will never forget this man or what he did for us, hubby was smart and wrote down his addy while we were at his house....can you say care packages for his 4 children heading back to school? LOL had a blast shopping for new school supplies today and in the mail they went!

thelook

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
MaryKay, I believe in karma and I think this all happened for a reason. We could see that the family was not one of high means and we remember what it costs to put so many kids in school each year..yowzers!
I believe that we were brought together to help each other, but Hubs and I are the ones who really were blessed that night, had we broke down on any other stretch of the highway or taken the highway we normally would have taken, we would not have met this wonderful person!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread