• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

ADD and kids

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZambucaLu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2008
Central NY, USA
I'm sure we all agree that the current school system is not particularly ADD/H kid friendly.

28 years ago, when I visited my daughter's 2nd grade class, I found all the desks in a circle and right in the middle, was one kid who sat and played with little cars the whole time I was there. I thought that was strange but I imagine (now) he was ADDH, and that was the only way to keep him 'settled' so the other kids could pay attention to the teacher (but tbh, that probably would have distracted the hell out of me if I was a student there).

In any event, I have to admit that ADDH kids can be quite distracting...particularly if you are easily distracted. So what to do with them? I certainly wouldn't be in favor of singling them out but honestly, I don't see the benefit to making them try to fit in with the general classroom norm, nor exposing the other kids to that type of pressure. Kids are in school to learn....not to be constantly exposed to other kids 'bouncing off the walls', so to speak.

Almost seems that there are enough of these kids to put them in their own group not just for the sake of other students, but for their own sake as well. A classroom that somehow encourages learning while dealing with the hyperactive mode. IDK...any thoughts?

Lu

stressfreesoul

Sep 13, 2010
Hunwick, UK
If you read my introduction, you will know a bit more about me before I start rambling on...
Once I left school, I realised I had been a major disruptive influence on every other person in my classes.
I was known as the joker and class clown, who never really reached any level of potential and brought everyone else down with him because of my behaviour.
The teachers had no idea that I am ADHD as I didnt know I was. My mother only told me when I was about 20 years old.
I'm now 26 years old and I am starting to get back in contact with my old school mates (thanks a bunch facebook!) and after very lengthy discussions with them I have realised I wasnt that much of a disruption after all.
I spent my late teens and early 20's hating myself for making an important chapter in my friends lives so much harder for them for no reason.
Ergo, I think the disruption would more likely come from treating a pupil differently because of their condition.
There are methods for inclusion into a mixed mentality classroom.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread