Adding throat hit to 100% VG juice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
90% of throat hit, whether in PG or VG, comes from the nicotine. So you need to up the nic level. Warmer vapor also helps to a small degree, so having a variable PV where you can increase the warmth will help a little. Additives to eliquid cannot provide the throat hit that comes from nicotine, plain and simple. PG allows more of the TH to come through and VG mutes it to a small degree.

we2rcool

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2013
Iowa, IA, USA
Here is an EASY way to replicate throat hit easily, cheaply, consistently & safely...no matter what base, flavor or level of nicotine is used!

Start with this (a bottle will last a lifetime): HEAT by Flavorwest

Thoroughly mix 5 drops of HEAT into 10ml of VG...and then use that blend at 2% (for starters). There's no taste at all; no need for filtering, no fuss - no muss...just plain ole TH (that you can easily adjust, control & duplicate).

What we call "throat hit" is nothing more than simple irritation. Capsaicin from peppers has been used for decades (in stronger amounts) to cause people to cough 'predictably' for medical testing, etc.

From here: Safety of capsaicin cough challenge testing

...RESULTS:

One hundred twenty-two published studies since 1984 described 4,833 subjects (4,374 adults, 459 children) undergoing capsaicin cough challenge, with no serious adverse events reported. Subjects included healthy volunteers as well as patients with asthma, COPD, pathologic cough, and other respiratory conditions. Minor complaints described in a small fraction of studies consisted mainly of transient throat irritation. Personal communication with the authors of > 90% of the studies confirmed an absence of any serious adverse events. Furthermore, these investigators have performed thousands of additional capsaicin challenge studies not reported in the literature, also without any associated serious adverse events.

CONCLUSIONS:

A review of the 20-year clinical experience has failed to uncover a single serious adverse event associated with capsaicin cough challenge testing in humans...​

WOOHOO!

CreepyLady

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2013
Salem, MA, USA
Here is an EASY way to replicate throat hit easily, cheaply, consistently & safely...no matter what base, flavor or level of nicotine is used!

Thoroughly mix 5 drops of HEAT into 10ml of VG...and then use that blend at 2% (for starters). There's no taste at all; no need for filtering, no fuss - no muss...just plain ole TH (that you can easily adjust, control & duplicate).

What we call "throat hit" is nothing more than simple irritation. Capsaicin from peppers has been used for decades (in stronger amounts) to cause people to cough 'predictably' for medical testing, etc.

...RESULTS:

One hundred twenty-two published studies since 1984 described 4,833 subjects (4,374 adults, 459 children) undergoing capsaicin cough challenge, with no serious adverse events reported. Subjects included healthy volunteers as well as patients with asthma, COPD, pathologic cough, and other respiratory conditions. Minor complaints described in a small fraction of studies consisted mainly of transient throat irritation. Personal communication with the authors of > 90% of the studies confirmed an absence of any serious adverse events. Furthermore, these investigators have performed thousands of additional capsaicin challenge studies not reported in the literature, also without any associated serious adverse events.

CONCLUSIONS:

A review of the 20-year clinical experience has failed to uncover a single serious adverse event associated with capsaicin cough challenge testing in humans...​

WOOHOO!

This is genius! Now that the OH and I are on super low nic....I will be ordering a bottle to give this a go!

we2rcool

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2013
Iowa, IA, USA
This is genius! Now that the OH and I are on super low nic....I will be ordering a bottle to give this a go!

That's great! The solution above (5 drops to 10ml) is very conservative. After you test it, you might find that you want to 'add more drops' to the VG solution...but do be sure to test it before adding more :::grin:::

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV

...RESULTS:

CONCLUSIONS:

WOOHOO!

That stuff does not provide the throat hit that comes from nicotine. It does provide a throat burn/irritation which is not what most would call good throat hit. Maybe the OP will be fine with it, it's just not the same as throat hit from nicotine.

we2rcool

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2013
Iowa, IA, USA
That stuff does not provide the throat hit that comes from nicotine. It does provide a throat burn/irritation which is not what most would call good throat hit. Maybe the OP will be fine with it, it's just not the same as throat hit from nicotine.

Well, of course :blink: the only thing that feels exactly like vaporized nicotine liquid is vaporized nicotine liquid...which is nothing like the 'burning leaf tobacco nicotine' TH from a burning analog.

We've been very happy with it. We've used it several times for ourselves/others as we cut our nic level. And we've used it a couple of times for folks switching from PG to VG that were wanting more TH.

How did you utilize it? (it took us SEVERAL tries with different strengths of solutions at varying percentages before we were satisfied).

Last edited:

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
Well, of course :blink: the only thing that feels exactly like vaporized nicotine liquid is vaporized nicotine liquid...which is nothing like the 'burning leaf tobacco nicotine' TH from a burning analog.

We've been very happy with it. We've used it several times for ourselves/others as we cut our nic level. And we've used it a couple of times for folks switching from PG to VG that were wanting more TH.

How did you utilize it? (it took us SEVERAL tries with different strengths of solutions at varying percentages before we were satisfied).

It's just a burning, irritating feeling that is nothing like the throat hit that I am accustomed to with vaping. If it worked well, everyone would be vaping 0 nic eliquid and using it. There is a reason that isn't the case. But again, if it works for you, that is great. It doesn't appear to work for most.

catalyst

ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2012
Sweet Home Alabama

...RESULTS:

CONCLUSIONS:

WOOHOO!

Thanks for the tip. I will be trying this ASAP.

I have heard that adding a small amount of PGA (pure grain alcohol) can give some throat hit.

we2rcool

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2013
Iowa, IA, USA
Quote Originally Posted by we2rcool View Post
Well, of course the only thing that feels exactly like vaporized nicotine liquid is vaporized nicotine liquid...which is nothing like the 'burning leaf tobacco nicotine' TH from a burning analog.

It's just a burning, irritating feeling that is nothing like the throat hit that I am accustomed to with vaping.

I really was/am interested in how you utilized it (drops/percentages? VG only? dilutants? VG/PG blend, etc). All of us sharing our experiences & methods so we can all learn is basically what this forum is all about!

Using 'too much' certainly gives a 'burning irritating feeling'.
If it worked well, everyone would be vaping 0 nic eliquid and using it. There is a reason that isn't the case. But again, if it works for you, that is great. It doesn't appear to work for most.

It doesn't appear to work for most?
:cry: For it to work (or not) "for most", "most" (actually 'more than most') would have to know about it, try it, work with it, and then post their experiences...then we'd have an idea what works 'for most' (or what doesn't, or how to make it work).

I did a Google search ("Capsicum Heat" searching only this forum) when I first saw it on ECX, and found only a handful of posts/threads (I also searched on "capsicum" & "capsaicin"). What I found indicated that very few people had ever tried Capsicum Heat (or any capsaicin additive), let alone worked with it as diligently as we all typically work with a flavor or recipe. So we decided to 'dig in' and see what we could come up with that would work - and then share our experiences with others.

In the following threads, folks are experimenting with Capsicum Heat; TFA Jalapeno; FA's Black Pepper; DV's Diablo Loco and Diablo Poco; homemade/storebought pepper tinctures (and many other things) for TH - with mixed reviews & results:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/diy-e-liquid/266671-experience-capsicum.html

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/diy-e-liquid/22081-how-get-throat-hit-zero-nic.html

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/diy-e-liquid/152909-i-need-throat-hit-zero-nic-awfull.html

I totally understand (and agree) - we all have different taste/sensation experiences & results. What is "spot on" for some is not for others. It just doesn't appear that many people have worked with Capsicum Heat.

Perhaps it works great for us because of our "VG base" (80% VG; 9% distilled water; 9% sterile saline -.9% dilution-; 2% pure grain alcohol). Someone in one of the threads above suggested that PGA + capsaicin should be a great substitute for nic/pg TH.
Perhaps it's because we vape at 10-12mg nic in a VG base and we're not trying to emulate a PG/high nic throat hit (so we're satisfied with it, where others wouldn't be - or would need to add/change/experiment). Perhaps it's because of the dozens of test vials we made & vaped to find 'the sweet spot'...or a combination of the above.

Hopefully folks'll be able to utilize our shared-experiences, work with it all, and be able to come up with something that works for them! And if it doesn't work, hopefully they'll share their experiences and thoughts of why/why not, and what they've found that would be better :).

emus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 9, 2009
I have steeped red pepper and black pepper in PG and PGA to make 0 nic TH flavoring. It does produce a course TH. Problem is, I become acclimated to it and after a while pure pepper extract produces little TH. Opposite of nic, I can get a TH w/ 2 mg nic now. I don't know if it is as safe as nic so I vape pepper extracts Clinton style.

I get a slight TH with 50-100% VG no nic in a Pinoy style cloud maker. In other words, I can feel the vapor. More satisfying than no nic vape in typical RBA.

we2rcool

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2013
Iowa, IA, USA
I have steeped red pepper and black pepper in PG and PGA to make 0 nic TH flavoring. It does produce a course TH. Problem is, I become acclimated to it and after a while pure pepper extract produces little TH. Opposite of nic, I can get a TH w/ 2 mg nic now. I don't know if it is as safe as nic so I vape pepper extracts Clinton style.

I get a slight TH with 50-100% VG no nic in a Pinoy style cloud maker. In other words, I can feel the vapor. More satisfying than no nic vape in typical RBA.

I agree, and know that to be true! As herbalists, we do a LOT with high-heat "cayenne" (tinctures, fresh peppers, dried/ground, etc)...and it is very true that one becomes acclimated to 'the burn'! The first few times someone takes a couple of droppersful of a good/quality tincture (mixed in a 'gulpful' of water/juice), they usually jump around doing the 'cayenne dance' for a minute or two...but after taking it a couple times a day for a few days, the burn becomes much less/more tolerable.

Hmmm, fumes from hot peppers vs. fumes from chemically isolated nicotine, mixed with a humectant (as far as safety)...??? I'm sure our lungs don't appreciate either thing.

we2rcool

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2013
Iowa, IA, USA
Discovered this by accident, but citric acid works very well. I make a 20% solution (1gram CA powder dissolved in 10ml PGA).
I normally include 1 or 2 percent of this solution in my recipes because it seems to brighten the flavors. At 4% you start getting TH.

Cool deal (I think I saw that possibility in one of the threads I posted above). And that opens up another possibility for 'blending & mixing' and coming up with something that's "spot on" for each of us! A little bit of this, a little bit of that, a dash of something else...wallah!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread