Advice appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enso

ECF Veteran
Jan 31, 2017
Vermont, USA
Hi All,

My apologies for the long post. We don't have a B&M (that I'm aware of), and I don't know anyone who vapes. Thanks for the space to share.

I'm feeling a little frustrated. I've been at it for about a month, no analogs. I started with a device that was a step above a cig-alike, but below an eGo. It was good enough to get me off the cigs, but I felt that it was lacking. So I started down the deep rabbit hole of atomizers,mods and liquids. I found that coil heads are far more cost effective than the replacement cartomizers for the device I was using. And that there were devices that provided more flexibility than the one I was using.
So this is what I ended up with: an Atlantis, a Nautilus X and an iStick 100w (at a great price!).

I have dabbled in a few different juices. I was trying to find a good tobacco which is apparently very hard to do. One of the non tobacco flavors I purchased was.... well, it wasn't my cup of tea (lemon, ick! what was I thinking?!).

I've never liked menthol much, but I tried a spearmint. It was ok, but I got tired of the mint, not great for winter anyway. Some of the flavors that I see offered don't seem appealing, at least not in name. Though they are looking better after the tobacco samplings.

I found that Halo's Tribeca is decent. But I can't seem to get consistent flavor using the nautilus x. I may have gotten too high of a VG content, 30/70, but I had the same problem with the other 50/50 liquids I tried, inconsistent flavor (tried at all watts within range for 1.5 ohm, usually stayed in the 16-18 range).

I was sick when I got the tribeca, but as my sinuses cleared out I noticed it had a pretty good flavor to it (for about two days), then I started to get an occasional "nasty" hit, and then it was JUST nasty. So I changed the coil. It's better with the new coil, but still inconsistent. Its probably user error. I'm guessing I burned the cotton with that thick juice, and now it's just going to have an off flavor. But if coil heads are finicky, I don't know that I want to deal with them. They aren't cheap when you factor in the shipping.

So... I ordered an RDA. I was apprehensive to do so because I like the convenience of a tank. It seems like a cheap route to figure out if making coils will provide the flexibility I want along with consistent flavor. Then maybe a Kayfun.

While I wait for the RDA to ship, I'll be thinning down the 30/70 with unflavored 50/50, and looking for another juice to try, maybe Ahlusion's Cherry Wood...

If you read this far thanks! Any input that could steer me toward a consistent flavorful MTL style vape without breaking the bank would be appreciated!

Darth Omerta

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2015
Welcome aboard! You'll find lots of answers here!

I can say that you will definitely find a big difference in flavor when you begin dripping. I have always found prefab coils mute the flavor and burn out too quickly. I cant really recommend any tobacco juices since I prefer fruit flavors and some desserts. Id definitely say it would be worth it to try some flavors of things that you know you like. Its unfortunate that you dont have a B&M, most of them have samples on hand so you can give it a try before purchasing. I switched to DIY about 2 yrs ago and I havent bought juice since, but before you get in to DIY it might be a good idea to try as many flavors as possible to see what types you like before buying ingredients just to discover you have 30ml of a concentrate you cant stand.

While you're waiting for your RDA to arrive I suggest you read up on Ohms Law and Battery Safety. Please check out the following blogs by our resident experts:
Mooch's blog | E-Cigarette Forum
Baditude's blog | E-Cigarette Forum

While you need only a fundamental understanding of these concepts based on your setup, the information is important to all levels of vapers from the brand new to the seasoned veteran!

Reactions: daviedog

Enso

ECF Veteran
Jan 31, 2017
Vermont, USA
Welcome aboard! You'll find lots of answers here!

I can say that you will definitely find a big difference in flavor when you begin dripping. I have always found prefab coils mute the flavor and burn out too quickly. I cant really recommend any tobacco juices since I prefer fruit flavors and some desserts. Id definitely say it would be worth it to try some flavors of things that you know you like. Its unfortunate that you dont have a B&M, most of them have samples on hand so you can give it a try before purchasing. I switched to DIY about 2 yrs ago and I havent bought juice since, but before you get in to DIY it might be a good idea to try as many flavors as possible to see what types you like before buying ingredients just to discover you have 30ml of a concentrate you cant stand.

While you're waiting for your RDA to arrive I suggest you read up on Ohms Law and Battery Safety. Please check out the following blogs by our resident experts:
Mooch's blog | E-Cigarette Forum
Baditude's blog | E-Cigarette Forum

While you need only a fundamental understanding of these concepts based on your setup, the information is important to all levels of vapers from the brand new to the seasoned veteran!

Thank you!
I have found a lot of good information and links on ECF, and I have read a bit about battery safety and ohms law. Both are an ongoing projects. I'm now pretty sure I won't blow my self up! I have no desire to use mech mods.

Definitely planning to expand my "palate", I'm taking it slow since I just invested in hardware. Tried a couple of vendors to get a feel for how different producers handle their product.
DIY has become appealing, especially since I'm going through more juice than I expected. Not something I want to take on soon though.

I was hoping the NX would be a hassle free setup, but I find it leaves something(s) to be desired. Hopefully the drip will give me some answers.

Reactions: Darth Omerta

dyanaprajna

ECF Veteran
Feb 6, 2017
Indiana
As far as juices go, there's so many different flavors and pg to vg ratios, as well as nic contents, that the best advice is to experiment to find what suits you. Like Darth, I prefer fruit flavors to tobacco, so I can't be of any help there. Keep in MInd that depending on your setup, this can have an effect on the flavor of your juice. I use a Kanger Subvod (pen/ego style with dual sub-ohm coils), and I prefer a higher vg concentration. I like the bigger clouds, and I think that higher vg doesn't necessarily take away from the flavor, and I'm not too big on the throat hit. Just keep experimenting, and don't give up-it can get frustrating until you find what works for you.

Reactions: RainSong

Enso

ECF Veteran
Jan 31, 2017
Vermont, USA
As far as juices go, there's so many different flavors and pg to vg ratios, as well as nic contents, that the best advice is to experiment to find what suits you. Like Darth, I prefer fruit flavors to tobacco, so I can't be of any help there. Keep in MInd that depending on your setup, this can have an effect on the flavor of your juice. I use a Kanger Subvod (pen/ego style with dual sub-ohm coils), and I prefer a higher vg concentration. I like the bigger clouds, and I think that higher vg doesn't necessarily take away from the flavor, and I'm not too big on the throat hit. Just keep experimenting, and don't give up-it can get frustrating until you find what works for you.

I'm not after clouds but I do like the thicker feel of VG, which is why I went for the 30/70. When it was working it was great. Do you absolutely have to sub ohm if you want to vape high VG?

Enso

ECF Veteran
Jan 31, 2017
Vermont, USA
Not hard at all, IF YOU KNOW HOW! Not an intuitive deck to work with.
Look up a few tutorials on the internet.
When finished, you will be rewarded!
Ive been vaping over 6 yrs,,in my Top5..

I can't say I know exactly how, but I've watched some videos and I'm usually pretty good with fiddley metal bits, hopefully the learning curve won't be too steep;)

Glad it seems to be a consistent winner, I just hope I don't end up with one of the ones that has plated screws!

dyanaprajna

ECF Veteran
Feb 6, 2017
Indiana
I'm not after clouds but I do like the thicker feel of VG, which is why I went for the 30/70. When it was working it was great. Do you absolutely have to sub ohm if you want to vape high VG?
Not at all. I've actually seen some people say that higher vg isn't as good for sub-ohming as higher pg. But so far I haven't had any problems. One of the main issues with higher vg, regardless of coil resistance, is that it can gunk up the coils quicker than pg. It can also need more power to heat up a higher vg than a higher pg. But, and this is just my opinion, higher vg juice can last a little longer than a comparable amount of higher pg.

Reactions: Enso

Parth

Nov 8, 2016
Hi All,

My apologies for the long post. We don't have a B&M (that I'm aware of), and I don't know anyone who vapes. Thanks for the space to share.

I'm feeling a little frustrated. I've been at it for about a month, no analogs. I started with a device that was a step above a cig-alike, but below an eGo. It was good enough to get me off the cigs, but I felt that it was lacking. So I started down the deep rabbit hole of atomizers,mods and liquids. I found that coil heads are far more cost effective than the replacement cartomizers for the device I was using. And that there were devices that provided more flexibility than the one I was using.
So this is what I ended up with: an Atlantis, a Nautilus X and an iStick 100w (at a great price!).

I have dabbled in a few different juices. I was trying to find a good tobacco which is apparently very hard to do. One of the non tobacco flavors I purchased was.... well, it wasn't my cup of tea (lemon, ick! what was I thinking?!).

I've never liked menthol much, but I tried a spearmint. It was ok, but I got tired of the mint, not great for winter anyway. Some of the flavors that I see offered don't seem appealing, at least not in name. Though they are looking better after the tobacco samplings.

I found that Halo's Tribeca is decent. But I can't seem to get consistent flavor using the nautilus x. I may have gotten too high of a VG content, 30/70, but I had the same problem with the other 50/50 liquids I tried, inconsistent flavor (tried at all watts within range for 1.5 ohm, usually stayed in the 16-18 range).

I was sick when I got the tribeca, but as my sinuses cleared out I noticed it had a pretty good flavor to it (for about two days), then I started to get an occasional "nasty" hit, and then it was JUST nasty. So I changed the coil. It's better with the new coil, but still inconsistent. Its probably user error. I'm guessing I burned the cotton with that thick juice, and now it's just going to have an off flavor. But if coil heads are finicky, I don't know that I want to deal with them. They aren't cheap when you factor in the shipping.

So... I ordered an RDA. I was apprehensive to do so because I like the convenience of a tank. It seems like a cheap route to figure out if making coils will provide the flexibility I want along with consistent flavor. Then maybe a Kayfun.

While I wait for the RDA to ship, I'll be thinning down the 30/70 with unflavored 50/50, and looking for another juice to try, maybe Ahlusion's Cherry Wood...

If you read this far thanks! Any input that could steer me toward a consistent flavorful MTL style vape without breaking the bank would be appreciated!
Welcome OP! Check out the limitless Rdta, it's a dripper with a tank. It's really easy to build on, and you can pick it up fairly cheap online. As far as juice goes check out vaporchef, they're a local company in PA and their tobacco flavors are pretty good ( Watson was one of my favorites).

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

SnapDragon NY

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 5, 2017
Hi and Welcome- once I tried many awful tasting tobacco flavors, I tried fruits and bakery flavors and really like peach,blueberry and strawberry- I also love cinnamon red hot, cinnamon Roll and some coffee flavors! I like really sweet flavors! There will be much trial and error on picking your favorites, but keep trying!
I recently got into trying RTAs and bought 2 OBS Engine minis- very easy to build and wick with a little practice- but OBS just came out with the OBS Nano- single coil deck- OBS is pretty much leakproof too!
I would also get the OBS nano but need a mini version(23mm) to come out- 25mm too big a size for most of my mods!
I have no one that vapes in my circle of friends and family but I have learned so much from forums and You Tube!

Last edited:

Enso

ECF Veteran
Jan 31, 2017
Vermont, USA
Hi and Welcome- once I tried many awful tasting tobacco flavors, I tried fruits and bakery flavors and really like peach,blueberry and strawberry- I also love cinnamon red hot, cinnamon Roll and some coffee flavors! I like really sweet flavors! There will be much trial and error on picking your favorites, but keep trying!
I recently got into trying RTAs and bought 2 OBS Engine minis- very easy to build and wick with a little practice- but OBS just came out with the OBS Nano- single coil deck- OBS is pretty much leakproof too!
I would also get the OBS nano but need a mini version(23mm) to come out- 25mm too big a size for most of my mods!
I have no one that vapes in my circle of friends and family but I have learned so much from forums and You Tube!

Yup, there seems to be a plethora of options in both equipment and liquid. I'll keep trying new flavors, thanks!

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY

While high VG is generally associated with subohm, it's far from a set rule (there are very few set rules in vaping, but that's stuff like Ohm'd and Watt's Laws, electrical safety first always). I have read (no personal experience, but reports from reliable folks around here) the 1.8 ohm Nauti X coil was a major improvement over the 1.5 ohm coil. Sort of up to you if you want to give that a shot. Also, the Atlantis tank you have can accept a variety of coils, including other manufacturers than just Aspire. Have you given that a shot yet?

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Probably one of the harder ones... a Narda "style". I chose it because MTL folk seem to like like it.

The NarDa RDA isn't all that hard to Build on. And for a Single Coil Flavor Chaser RDA, I have it at the Top of my List.

Two things I would Mention about it.

If yours comes with Slotted Post Screws, replace them with SS Philips Head Screws. Philips Head Screws are Much Easier to use. Much Easier.

And when you go to mount the Coil, take one of the Post Screws completely out of the Deck. This makes room to have the Coil on a Mandrel making it Easier to Position it.

I like to run my NarDa's with a 3mm Diam. 26ga Stainless Steel .35 Ohm Coil. With the Bottom of the Coil at about the Same Height as the Bottom of the Airflow Slots. And at a Slight Diagonal with the Non-Split Cotton tails.

Like this...

NarDA_10.jpg

... only with a the Coil on a Tad Less of a Diagonal.

Reactions: djsvapour

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
Nautilus X is Aspire.

Aspire, well... let's just say money is king and being better than the rest doesn't really apply. Same goes for Joyetech. Neither is a total flop but somehow they have created this image of being superior. Joyetech also regrettably make some really duff stuff. If it wasn't for the community goading them into actually trying to make some clearomizers, they'd still be selling atomizer and cartridges.

I use a lot of factory coils and have dabbled with Kanger, Joyetech, Eleaf, Innokin, Uwell and others. Some are good, some are OK, some are quite bad. None are outstanding, although totally vapeable.

For me, an RDA is the way to go for best experience. Always.

Ladiekali

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2013
Florida
The best tobacco I know of are at aroma ejuice.

I was a menthol smoker, never really liked Vaping menthol tho. Figured that out after lots of wasted money.

My go to juices are snickerdoodles and vanilla splash from aroma, the red tail line.

Alice in vapelands white rabbit and duchess de leche, both max vg.

I have both sub ohm and mouth to lung tanks.

For sub ohm I use the uwell crown. Love being able to buy the coils and not have to build.

For me, I'm having g great luck with the digiflavor siren. My vapor store I believe had the best price. 15 percent off first time customer.

I bought a coil master jig and making coils is almost too easy now. Believe I got mine for $15.

I also use rayon I bought a big box from Sally beauty salon for $15.
Cotton didn't work too well for me.

The mod I enjoy the most is my tesla nano 40. Quality is nice, spent $40. No external battery to mess with.

Burnt taste is likely the coils, too high watts, wicking issues. Etc. Not likely the juice.

I never had luck with the nautilus coils. I sure tried.

Just thought I'd share what is working for me. Good luck in your vape journey. I've been Vaping since 2013, and just now have found what works for me.

Enso

ECF Veteran
Jan 31, 2017
Vermont, USA
While high VG is generally associated with subohm, it's far from a set rule (there are very few set rules in vaping, but that's stuff like Ohm'd and Watt's Laws, electrical safety first always). I have read (no personal experience, but reports from reliable folks around here) the 1.8 ohm Nauti X coil was a major improvement over the 1.5 ohm coil. Sort of up to you if you want to give that a shot. Also, the Atlantis tank you have can accept a variety of coils, including other manufacturers than just Aspire. Have you given that a shot yet?

Thanks, I haven't ordered replacements yet. I'll try the 1.8ohm. Do you think the higher ohms would have any effect on juice flow?

I've tried the Atlantis with .5 coils. I don't mind DLH, but it's not something I would do very often. I generally prefer MTL. Using the Atlantis drains my batteries and e juice. Also, the airflow seems like to much to be useful for MTL.

Enso

ECF Veteran
Jan 31, 2017
Vermont, USA
The NarDa RDA isn't all that hard to Build on. And for a Single Coil Flavor Chaser RDA, I have it at the Top of my List.

Two things I would Mention about it.

If yours comes with Slotted Post Screws, replace them with SS Philips Head Screws. Philips Head Screws are Much Easier to use. Much Easier.

And when you go to mount the Coil, take one of the Post Screws completely out of the Deck. This makes room to have the Coil on a Mandrel making it Easier to Position it.

I like to run my NarDa's with a 3mm Diam. 26ga Stainless Steel .35 Ohm Coil. With the Bottom of the Coil at about the Same Height as the Bottom of the Airflow Slots. And at a Slight Diagonal with the Non-Split Cotton tails.

Like this...

NarDA_10.jpg

... only with a the Coil on a Tad Less of a Diagonal.
Nice, thanks for the tips! I settled on 316L SS @ 28g. The "mandrel" I'm going to use is 2.41mm. How do plus ohm coils do in it?
SS screws are a must, anything less will be promptly replaced.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread