Advice from a 31 day user. . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruce H

ECF Veteran
Jul 9, 2009
Gaithersburg, Maryland
I have not made much of a presence here so here goes-

My name is Bruce and live in Maryland. I am 38 and I started smoking when I was 16. I got up to a pack and half a day recently and combine that with the latest tax increase ($7.00 a pack) I had to call BS on the whole thing. On the day I received my DSE 901 I haven't lit up one actual cigarette since, impressive in that I tried everything. I feel better, have a few more bucks in my pocket and I don't stink- bonus for my wife.

Anyhow- I know some of this may be redundant to many or most of you but I got to thinking and came to the realization that I searched long and hard finding every bit of advice and experience that people could offer and just thought it would be nice for a newbie like myself to help other people who are new as well- here goes.

1. Read the FAQ page on their website. Every bit of it is good advice that will save you time and money and may be the differnece in you not going back to tobacco.

2. Whatever e-smoke you chose- order two. My atty broke down on me this weekend (an hour away from home) and I had just recently ordered another one. I avoided disaster by having a backup. And by ordering two kits i have an extra charger as well. Use the military approach- be prepared.

3. Treat your e-smoke like food. Store your batteries somewhere dust, lint, humidity may not enter. If any of these things enters or surrounds the contact point , your battery will most likely under perform and as a result fail prematurely. (I have a dead battery and I think I did it to it by keeping it in my pocket.)

4. I have taken to storing my e-smoke in the mouth tip down position while I am not vaping. This will prevent any e-juice from draining into your battery. Remember rule #2?

5. Follow charging and refilling instructions. Charging too much and filling too much will kill your e-smoke quick.

6. While you are asleep detach the battery from the atty. Maybe superstitious but I have noticed that the battery lasts longer this way.

7. Have a little faith. It will work. Don't fidget or constantly hit it thinking OMG it's going to fail any minute. It might, but probably not. And you did prepare, right?

8. Order a small ten milligram sample. Something you want to try. If you don't like it or you do, once empty it makes a great travel container. I usually carry two to three batteries and the small container of e-juice in a plastic zip lock bag. Keeps things organized, clean, and if my container does leak- oh, well, I was prepared.

9. Vaping in public- tricky. Realize where you are. This is the most important thing. Cup the tip in your hand and blow downwards or out of your nose. Example: I vaped in a half crowded movie theater during the last Harry Potter movie, using the fore mentioned advice everything was cool. Example 2: I was at an Orioles game Saturday night and I guess I forgot where I was, could have been the 5 beers I had. A security guard was ready to kick me and my wife out until I explained what it was. He wasn't impressed and nor did he kick us out. I refrained for the last 5 innings- no big deal as I went to the restroom often.

Just be careful, mindful and considerate.

That's about all and hey got the day off so this is very therapeutic so thank you for putting up with my chattiness. I hope this helps anyone considering or have just recently started. Please feel free to correct or add to anything I have recommended.

Thanks again and happy vaping to all. :)

Bruce H

ECF Veteran
Jul 9, 2009
Gaithersburg, Maryland
I heard that keeping the atomizer connected to the battery during "off-hours" puts it on standby so it continues to use the charge at a minimum. But I am not sure if that is true for manual switches. I assume only for automatic batteries.

I do it, when I remember, more out of superstition than anything. I can't imagine that it hurts anything.

One of the most important things that I have found is not drowning your e-cig. Between hits and between sessions I leave it leaning on something with the mouthpiece in the DOWN position. I get more fresh hits, if you know what I mean.

Anyhow, there's a great discussion over at digg on e-cigs. I see a lot of familiar names from here that have registered there to show support. Pretty awesome.

Oh, and the FDA are bought and paid for by some very powerful forces in America. Hopefully they won't gain too much traction and ruin one of the best things to ever happen to me. 8-o

Mary Kay

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2009
West Tampa Fl.
Bruce, Very good Post!
I might add, don't store your e-cig assembled in your pants pocket, one of the guys broke his in half when he sat down! (side pocket)
Don't mow the yard and try to keep your e-cig in your top pocket or you will spend the weekend with your wife yelling at you to FIND IT! (I yell loud too)
Use an eyeglass holder from the end of an eyeglass chain on a cord. Keep it around your neck, handy to vape but not easy to lose. :p
Use a case logic case or something like it to carry your cig, spare parts and juice in. You look less like a nut when you pull the baggie out of your pocket and the side split open. Try explaing the little bottles rolling around the hospital floor to the nurse:sneaky:.

Last edited:

Wormwood

ECF Veteran
Jun 10, 2009
Plumdiggity
-Only thing i might add is try not to let your atomizers/carts dry out during use. You'll get that disolving poly fill flavor, and your atomizer is more likely to go bad. I hear some people get away with it using higher voltage i guess they do that to clean them.
-Also, I used to clean my atomizers alot when i first started vaping, havent really figured out if it helps them or hurts them, but a soak in a bowl boiling water every couple weeks seems to be working out for me. Dont burn yourself.

Great advice people. I am glad i havent had to learn this stuff the hard way. I've only had one atomizer(was a rn 4075 spare from vapor guys, whatever that cheap clone of the dse 901) go bad in the first week of use in the almost 3 months i've been vaping.

Edit: just threw my dead atty on a manual passthrough and did a couple 5 second burn off sessions(figured i had nothing to lose)..... wow things working like a champ again, killing off a little lifespan to bring it back= worth it i guess.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread