Advice needed to help someone else to quit smoking

Status
Not open for further replies.

muth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 20, 2014
Boston, MA, USA
What is the difference between nic salts and WTA (if any?)? I've never used anything other than regular e-liquid.

Someone I know is having a hard time with just vaping. I know some of you use other means than just regular e-liquid alone, so can you tell me what she needs to get her over the hump?
Just Me...is it you?:)If it is, how ya doin, hon?

• Agree
Reactions: stols001

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Nic salts allow very high nicotine levels without being too harsh.

WTA has some of the other alkaloids found in tobacco that aren't in regular liquid.
can you tell me what she needs to get her over the hump
Nobody can say for sure, because people are different. What works for one person might not work for the next. She'll have to try different things until she finds something that works for her.

Salts are much easier to find than WTA.

Just Me

ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2010
Nic salts allow very high nicotine levels without being too harsh.

WTA has some of the other alkaloids found in tobacco that aren't in regular liquid.

Nobody can say for sure, because people are different. What works for one person might not work for the next. She'll have to try different things until she finds something that works for her.

Salts are much easier to find than WTA.

That just might be the right answer for this person. Thank you very much, Rossum.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Unless said person cannot get on the internet for whatever reason, said person should get on here themselves.

I'm not at all trying to be rude it's just there is more "buy in" with first hand information so to speak.

For me WTA was a godsend. Took care of the "I want to chew through steel sensation" I got every quit day at around 3 p.m. Aroma's is the gold standard but it is also PRICED like gold Ohm's vapes has decent stuff, but I used Aroma to quit.

I might start with higher nicotine myself. Etc.

Good luck to said quitting person! There are a jillion different tips and ideas and tricks that can be offered though IF said person gets on here an posts.

Anna

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I quit with 24mg nic juices in tobacco flavors. The first week I vaped was in early 2010. I kept smoking when I wanted to and vaped the rest of the time. I was a 2PAD smoker. By the 3rd week I realized I was down to 6 cigarettes or less a day. I continue to smoke here and there while vaping and a few months later I just didn't buy another carton. By that time I was through smoking. I haven't touched one since early 2011. For me, vaping was the only cure that worked.

Falconeer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2015
Dunoon, West of Scotland.
People, imho, reach their own point when they are ready to give up and until they do no one can persuade or really help them.

As has been said the best thing your friend could do would be to come on here him or herself ... if he or she has reached the point of really wanting to quit.

There are plenty of people on here who tried a whole range of things before they managed to beat smoking and we are all willing to give what help we can.

Last edited:

United States

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2018
RVA
First and foremost one has to really, really, really, really want to stop smoking. If there is an inclination to still enjoy a cigarette, the cigarette will likely win.

Next is a trial and error thing with vape devices if they choose to substitute one for the other. Usually if it's complicated like batteries needing charge in a special charger, has a 'fire' button and/or other things to get used to that may cause them to decide on ease of use and click the BiC again.

Let's face it, the Juul or other cig-a-like devices make great starters while getting used to being tobacco free. Portable is also another key to successful switching. If it's as big as a tv remote control most newbs won't dig that for long.

It's natural to think tobacco flavor is a good starter flavor. Trouble is most don't taste like that Pall Mall or Newport. Fresh picked 'backee' drowned in maple syrup is more likely. NET (natural extracted tobbacco) is typically a pretty good mimic, but can be costly versus the fake stuff since it takes a while to brew small batches properly.

Some dig on food flavors and deserts. I go for chewing gum flavors like fruit gum or dentine mint. I found a vanilla ice cream-ish flavor for vaping with coffee.

Devices to start should be easy to use, provide a good "drag" and have enough nicotine content to satisfy without chain vaping, which can 'hot box' the coil pack and lead to premature "yuck-o" flavoring. Simple is best. Draw activated is popular for a good reason, yet many like the fire button type better to give a stronger vape with each drag.

Check out the pod section for a bunch of choices. Small pens used to be wildly popular for good reason and many vape-vets still use them.

Most important if dual using is DO NOT smoke then vape or vice versa. Do one or the other. Say you smoke with morning coffee and vape 'til sundown. Each day smoking less and vaping more over time. I made the mistake of vaping and smoking throughout the day and now my brain thinks a drag of vape signals a drag of cigarette soon after.

Best of luck with your friend.

United States

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2018
RVA
I started out with fake tobaccos.
"Blekth-yuck"

Went to a juice by Black Note called Prelude (since Honda Preludes are my favorite car). Tasted just like my favorite ultralight cigarette from a Joyetech Penguin (my wife's favorite animal).

Then I made the mistake of joining ECF...
1493668127-Money-Notes-Smiley-gif-c200.gif

Several mods, tanks, tips, and juices....
A thousand bucks later I went back to pods using chewing gum type flavors.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain

Gentle Smoke

Jan 31, 2019
My two cents: A good portion of this thread is focused on e-liquids. I would agree that matching your nicotine levels at first is important. However let's face the facts, we're trying to break one habit with another. So, the second habit better be enjoyable. And, trying to turn vaping into a clone of smoking is a mistake. They're not the same. Smoking has as much air flow as sucking mud through a straw and the "hit" of smoking is as much about hot gases searing your lungs as anything else. Vape like that and your juices will taste like garbage and you'll continue to damage your lungs. Alternately, getting used to open flow and lower temperatures will reward you with tasty juices. And if you have a good mod, wonderfully reinforcing clouds.

muth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 20, 2014
Boston, MA, USA
I don't remember knowing you, muth, but I guess I'm okay, "hun". I'm not a troll, if that's what you're asking...

Forgive me if we've crossed paths before and I forgot.
Not a problem. Chances are slim that someone else has the same username, "Just Me", but here you are! She used "hon" quite often. That's why I added it to my inquiry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread