Advice on what to get for a 1st go at RTA...

Status
Not open for further replies.

CajunCloud

Verified Member
Nov 26, 2014
In da swamps, LA, USA
Looking for opinions on the most user friendly RTA out there. I've reached the point where I would like to be able to pull cotton and re-wick a coil for a new flavor juice. Trying to leech out the old flavor with a new one in the Kanger coils is futile with some juices and others need the vodka rinse etc which gets old. I don't vape that much now less than 3ml a day at most. I'd just like to mess around with building coils in the 1.5-2.2 ohm range. Not looking for clouds as I already think I get enough vape with that resistance and under 10w most of the time on my mods.

Thinking of the Lemo Drop or maybe a Kayfun style. Only need a single coil setup. What would all of you recommend to a newbie to Rebuilds for a first tank that isn't a dripper? Putting it on my Vamo or VTR so nothing to huge but at least around 3ml of tank capacity would be good. Love airflow as well so that has me thinking Lemo Drop.

Edit: If you can include the best place to get one or someplace with a current coupon code so much the better! I'll need wire and cotton as well of course and would like to order everything from one place if the price is right.

Oh and if you could recommend the best sized wire for making coils in the range above that would be great. I am thinking 28-30 should be good to mess around with wraps to get 1.5-2.2 ohm coils. Best cotton choice? I have no clue what is best organic other then Japanese cotton. I can go grab some organic cotton from a cotton field locally when the harvest is near lol.

Thanks!

CC

Last edited:

RandyF

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2013
Arizona
Lemo or Lemo Drop is easily the best choice. 26g or 28g would be best to get you started. The lemo can handle 25 to 30 watts, so it gives you a wider range of options and the ability to use thicker wire that is easier to work with. I just ordered a Lemo Drop I am going to run on my SMPL mech with a .8 coil. My 2 full size Lemo's are running my Ni builds.

Getting everything in the same place probably won't be the best route. KGB7's suggestion for the atty is good, but the supplies can wire (temco - ebay) and cotton (ebay) can be found much cheaper and you will get more.

Last edited:

nasca

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2014
USA
I'd go with an RTA that you can work on the deck/rewick without draining the tank. while I love my kfl+v2 and others love the kayfun-style (like the lemo), it's a major disadvantage.

I'm currently digging the aqua v2 and can recommend it to the experienced and newbies alike, but there are a few other RTAs with this ability worth checking out.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
Looking for opinions on the most user friendly RTA out there. I've reached the point where I would like to be able to pull cotton and re-wick a coil for a new flavor juice. Trying to leech out the old flavor with a new one in the Kanger coils is futile with some juices and others need the vodka rinse etc which gets old. I don't vape that much now less than 3ml a day at most. I'd just like to mess around with building coils in the 1.5-2.2 ohm range. Not looking for clouds as I already think I get enough vape with that resistance and under 10w most of the time on my mods.

Thinking of the Lemo Drop or maybe a Kayfun style. Only need a single coil setup. What would all of you recommend to a newbie to Rebuilds for a first tank that isn't a dripper? Putting it on my Vamo or VTR so nothing to huge but at least around 3ml of tank capacity would be good. Love airflow as well so that has me thinking Lemo Drop.

Edit: If you can include the best place to get one or someplace with a current coupon code so much the better! I'll need wire and cotton as well of course and would like to order everything from one place if the price is right.

Oh and if you could recommend the best sized wire for making coils in the range above that would be great. I am thinking 28-30 should be good to mess around with wraps to get 1.5-2.2 ohm coils. Best cotton choice? I have no clue what is best organic other then Japanese cotton. I can go grab some organic cotton from a cotton field locally when the harvest is near lol.

Thanks!

CC

Sounds like you might be interested in an rda.

Of course, several rta's can also be assembled as rda's.

and have a look at the flash evapor3

CajunCloud

Verified Member
Nov 26, 2014
In da swamps, LA, USA
Thanks for the replies and places to get things. Keep them coming, coupon codes welcome as always :D

If I was to venture into the sub ohm coils a bit say .8 ohm how much more juice would I be using I am thinking double + what 1.8 ohm uses and would the battery life not be as good as 1.8 ohm for example? I've only tried sub ohm setups here and there but not for daily setup so not sure if that is the way I want to go or if my mods can even go that low not being mech mods. The 1.8-2.2 is a sweet spot for me right now and of course being able to go lower and mess around would be in the cards just to experiment some with things.

I am leaning Lemo Drop for sure now. Just need to make sure I get all the rebuild supplies I need and have ebay open looking at what they offer there. I am not familiar with the different metal types of these wires. I imagine some are more long lived and others not so much but better in other ways. Is there an ideal wire material I should be using?

This reminds me tying my own fly fishing flys :) get all the pieces parts and make something tiny that I then use for my personal enjoyment. The idea of just pulling cotton and dry burning then re-wicking for true 100% new untainted flavor is what has me most interested. As of now I am taking my favorite coils out and placing them in labeled zip locks to use when I want to go back to that flavor. Rebuilds would be so much easier and less mess, inventory etc to maintain. I can see me loading the current tanks I have with my juices I like now and them and then using the RTA for everything else and trying new flavors out and getting the full taste profile accurately.

Keep the ideas coming and hints, go to places for deals etc. I love this site!!!!!

CC

Danielle347

Dec 31, 2014
I'm using an aspire nautilus mini, waiting for my provari, and I want an atomizer that builds similiar to the Kanger bottom single coil and looks flush with the battery. I guess it could be slightly more complicated than the bottom single coil..but that's what I've learned to do already, and i feel comfortable so I figure I might as well throw it out and ask for suggestions.

Also, I'm new. Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this!

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Ohio
My opinion on good first RTAs: kayfun, Lemo, SquapeR, andTaifun. The Taifun may be the most newbie frindly because you can access your build at any time without emptying the juice. And its very easy to fill with any type of bottle. You can also access your build on the SqR but its more finicky due to needing to chose the right size coil to prevent flooding or dry hits, but I and others can help. I think the SqR is pretty easy to live with, but have to acknowledge that it drives others batty.

More difficult, but worth noting are the Rose v2 and Erlkonigin.

Dual coil so maybe better for a second or third RTA are the Orchid, Aquav2 and Fogger. If you are confident and want one of these, go for it.

CajunCloud

Verified Member
Nov 26, 2014
In da swamps, LA, USA
Going to drop the coin on a Drop no pun intended. Getting some 28 and 30 gauge A1 wire off ebay for starters and the big 200 pc Japanese cotton pack as linked above. Oh and a cheap ohm meter to use while building the deck. Figure I'll be in $55 or so all said and done. I have a small torch lighter but will get a little handheld torch locally. Everything else I have already and can make any size mandrel I want on my lathe :) I was even thinking about using it to wrap some nice tight coils really easy by hand. Now to just learn the tricks of what size coils and how many with which size wire to get the desired resistance.

The thing I am wondering now is will going to a RTA setup be an improvement at all over Aero Tanks and Nautilus style tanks if I run the Lemo at the same ohm resistance and wattage? Or will I not notice any major improvement unless I up the wattage and lower the ohm closer to 1?

Thanks again all. I am taking the plunge!! Then on to dual coil decks one day maybe lol.

CC

CajunCloud

Verified Member
Nov 26, 2014
In da swamps, LA, USA
:laugh: Once you try an RTA, you will want an entire collection, and your aerotanks will gather dust.

Try my coil: 7 wraps of 28g on a 3/32" bit. Flavor is fantastic.

That is what I am afraid of!!! Seems to be the way the Aero Tanks went over the IClear30s and eGo etc. I'll give your wrap a whirl for sure thanks.

On another note I also dropped another $40 at MBV on several new juice flavors and a sample pack along with another 18350 bat and a case and some nic juice. All my juice orders now are going to be 0 nic and I will add a touch if I desire. Not bad for all I got, nearly 90ml of juice and a freebie! So $107 total spent tonight and I am still WAY ahead of smokes after only 2 months, plus I am all set for awhile with building and messing around. Just need to find more juices I love and the I can hopefully DIY to make it cheap and ease here on out.

CC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread