Advise on flavour combination

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ellick_

Sep 26, 2019
South Africa
ni
Nothing wrong with snv, just hold back 10ml of everything to taste test at 2, 3, and 4 weeks to judge for fade or increased strength. Another thing to keep in mind is some flavors seem to completely fade but make a surprising comeback in a week or two. This is what makes sft (single flavor test) especially important at first. I keep my sft up to 3 months since I like to mix ahead.

mhh... the SFT sound like really good advice. Thx

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
ni

mhh... the SFT sound like really good advice. Thx
Not going to lie, I don't sft every flavor these days. I still do most fruits though as even within the same brand the strength and longevity is so varied. I like using creams and vanillas but don't care for their individual taste so never sft those. Will admit that practice has bitten me in the .... more than a couple times.

Reactions: Opinionated

Ellick_

Sep 26, 2019
South Africa
Not going to lie, I don't sft every flavor these days. I still do most fruits though as even within the same brand the strength and longevity is so varied. I like using creams and vanillas but don't care for their individual taste so never sft those. Will admit that practice has bitten me in the .... more than a couple times.

Another factor to take into account, lol.

Wouldn't mind trying a cream and vanilla as a change in between the fruit. Can you recommend a good recipe?

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
I don't vape just cream vanilla juices but am fond of using:
*TFA dulce de leche, slight carrmel notes and not too sweet but adds a richness
*WF tahitian vanilla cream, just plain tasty in all but citrus for me, kind of like vanilla swirl ice cream on steroids
*Cap butter cream, similar to icing but at 0.5 add a kiss of cream and sweetness, can mute other flavors if used over 1%
*HS cream, my favorite half & half cream type of flavor, lovely mouthfell and doesn't compete with the primary flavors
*VT (vape train) vanilla butter cream frosting, like this a bit better than the Cap, doesn't mute the other flavors as much and easy to work with, compliments the less rich creams like TFA vanilla swirl
*TFA vanilla swirl, nice vanilla that is easy to work with, like a simple basic soft serve, pairs well with citrus
*FA cream fresh, similar to the HS cream
*FA vienna cream, very nice more complex cream, light vanilla notes, pairs beautifully with FA fresh for a rich cream (I like fresh 0.5-1% & vienna 1.3-1.7% combined)
*HS italian cream, a personal favorite, very rich and decadent, if used over 1% will have lovely soft mascarpone notes.
*TFA greek yogurt, bright and tart, not particularly cheesy
*FW yogurt, cheesy, creamy, slightly sweet
*WF mascarpone cream cheese, sweet light cheesy notes, pairs well with FW yogurt & fruit
*WF frozen yogurt, no cheese, closer to a frozen milk than yogurt, works well in smoothie recipes

For custardy rich creams and ice creams others will have to chime in, I just don't care for the mouth feel.
There are a hundred other options but these are the ones I use the most often.

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    I can do the ice creams, I'm kinda hooked on them :facepalm:
    TFA Vanilla Bean Ice Cream - awesome all round ice cream, shake and capable. 3-4% in a mix
    Capella Vanilla bean ice cream - rich, thick soft serve type ice cream flavour 3-4% in a mix

ELR is a brilliant recipe site - you can create your own recipes there, look up flavours, and read other people's notes on them, plus of course look for recipes that you can make with the flavours you have.

Once therem create a username, enter your flavours into the My Stash section, which is under the User menu:
    Screenshot_2019-10-13-12-09-23-578.jpeg
    You can then click on the 'What can I Make' tab

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    Can't believe you didn't mention LB Vanilla ice cream, thought it was #1 with ic lovers. Honorable mention for TFA vanilla bean gelato, I can use it low but much prefer the other creams. It's a mouthfeel thing. For one shot ice creams I do very much enjoy VT toffee ice cream and Purilum butter pecan praline ice cream, mouthfeel with both are lovely and rich without coating my teeth and tongue with the custard type of feel.

Ellick_

Sep 26, 2019
    South Africa
    I don't vape just cream vanilla juices but am fond of using:
    *TFA dulce de leche, slight carrmel notes and not too sweet but adds a richness
    *WF tahitian vanilla cream, just plain tasty in all but citrus for me, kind of like vanilla swirl ice cream on steroids
    *Cap butter cream, similar to icing but at 0.5 add a kiss of cream and sweetness, can mute other flavors if used over 1%
    *HS cream, my favorite half & half cream type of flavor, lovely mouthfell and doesn't compete with the primary flavors
    *VT (vape train) vanilla butter cream frosting, like this a bit better than the Cap, doesn't mute the other flavors as much and easy to work with, compliments the less rich creams like TFA vanilla swirl
    *TFA vanilla swirl, nice vanilla that is easy to work with, like a simple basic soft serve, pairs well with citrus
    *FA cream fresh, similar to the HS cream
    *FA vienna cream, very nice more complex cream, light vanilla notes, pairs beautifully with FA fresh for a rich cream (I like fresh 0.5-1% & vienna 1.3-1.7% combined)
    *HS italian cream, a personal favorite, very rich and decadent, if used over 1% will have lovely soft mascarpone notes.
    *TFA greek yogurt, bright and tart, not particularly cheesy
    *FW yogurt, cheesy, creamy, slightly sweet
    *WF mascarpone cream cheese, sweet light cheesy notes, pairs well with FW yogurt & fruit
    *WF frozen yogurt, no cheese, closer to a frozen milk than yogurt, works well in smoothie recipes

For custardy rich creams and ice creams others will have to chime in, I just don't care for the mouth feel.
    There are a hundred other options but these are the ones I use the most often.

Thx

Blitzdonlife

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 24, 2012
    Central Texas
    Passion Fruit (The Flavour Apprentice)
    I'm vaping this right now, it's pretty acidic to me. Try leaving that one out and see if it makes a difference, or let it sit after mixing a good two weeks or more and it might mellow out. When I made mine at 5% flavor, I couldn't vape it for two weeks and its still sharp.

Ellick_

Sep 26, 2019
    South Africa
    TFA Vanilla Bean Ice Cream - awesome all round ice cream, shake and capable. 3-4% in a mix
    Capella Vanilla bean ice cream - rich, thick soft serve type ice cream flavour 3-4% in a mix

ELR is a brilliant recipe site - you can create your own recipes there, look up flavours, and read other people's notes on them, plus of course look for recipes that you can make with the flavours you have.

Once therem create a username, enter your flavours into the My Stash section, which is under the User menu:
    View attachment 844535

Thx,
    I've tried that site without much success.
    Sorting recipes according to it's rating would have been more benificial as it is now there a hell of a lot to pick through.

Ellick_

Sep 26, 2019
    South Africa
    I'm vaping this right now, it's pretty acidic to me. Try leaving that one out and see if it makes a difference, or let it sit after mixing a good two weeks or more and it might mellow out. When I made mine at 5% flavor, I couldn't vape it for two weeks and its still sharp.

Thanks for that info.
    Almost became paranoid last night thinking I was sold some backyard brew flavours lol

Blitzdonlife

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 24, 2012
    Central Texas
    Thanks for that info.
    Almost became paranoid last night thinking I was sold some backyard brew flavours lol
    Ha! Some flavors taste good to one person, and another can't stand 'em. There are some flavors almost everyone finds disgusting. Try to avoid pizza, crab, etc. If you try to make a coffee, it's going to take alot of work probably before you get it where you like it. FA Espresso is a VERY strong flavor that some people think tastes like burning car tires, and others love... at 1-2 drops per 10mL final liquid. It needs a three week steep in my xp, try it after that to see what changes need to be made with strength, and mske s small sample in case it's unvapable. If its good, try adding 2-3% Bavarian cream and see if you like it. Caramels good with coffee too as long as you don't overdo it. I like FA caramel.

Not all cherries are created equal (most of them taste like cough syrup to me), and you'd be surpised (I was) to find out how many flavors a good coconut goes with.

The TFA Bavarian Creme you have is one of the best creams out there in my opinion, which is admittedly limited compared to some here. TFA pear is one of my favorite flavors.

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    Can't believe you didn't mention LB Vanilla ice cream, thought it was #1 with ic lovers. Honorable mention for TFA vanilla bean gelato, I can use it low but much prefer the other creams. It's a mouthfeel thing. For one shot ice creams I do very much enjoy VT toffee ice cream and Purilum butter pecan praline ice cream, mouthfeel with both are lovely and rich without coating my teeth and tongue with the custard type of feel.

:lol: can you believe I haven't got LB vanilla ice cream yet? My next flavour order is gonna be at Chefs Flavours, so I will grab one then :D

Ellick_

Sep 26, 2019
    South Africa
    Thank for all the advice it really helped at lot.

Still got a long way to go but don't feel that lost any more.

What has really worked well is having a snv for every day use and then there's no pressure to find the right combination or stressing about whether there's juice for the next day.

Ellick_

Sep 26, 2019
    South Africa

View attachment 844535

I put in the flavors I have and got 3/4 recipes, lol. Got some more juices in the mean time. I avoid recipes that hasn't been rated, seems a lot of them is just noobs like me guessing %.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    I put in the flavors I have and got 3/4 recipes, lol. Got some more juices in the mean time. I avoid recipes that hasn't been rated, seems a lot of them is just noobs like me guessing %.
    I go by what flavor combinations I will probably enjoy more than ratings. Watch the dates on the recipes, any over 2yo will have been designed for older gear. Also helps to read a lot of flavor tasting notes. As you gain more experience with your flavors you can then follow those mixers that are more in line with your own impressions.

Ellick_

Sep 26, 2019
    South Africa
    I go by what flavor combinations I will probably enjoy more than ratings. Watch the dates on the recipes, any over 2yo will have been designed for older gear. Also helps to read a lot of flavor tasting notes. As you gain more experience with your flavors you can then follow those mixers that are more in line with your own impressions.

thanks, will definitely looks at the dates. Haven't thought of that variable.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread