Aegis Legend is lying to me

Status
Not open for further replies.

VapourFlavour

Moved On
Oct 16, 2018
Ontario, Canada
I have a concern here. I finally caved in and upgraded my newest Legend that I ordered directly from Geekvape 6 weeks ago. The main reason I did the upgrade was the battery life improvement. After the upgrade, I was impressed that for the entire rest of the day (upgraded early in the am) I had only used half of my batteries when before I would've had to change them. I took the batteries out with them still showing 50% on the Legend and put them in my Nitecore charger. I was very surprised to see that the charger indicated that the batteries had been fully discharged!! I put the batteries in another brand of mod and they also showed as fully drained. I DO NOT overstress my batteries, now my Legend is lying to me about the accuracy of my battery life. BTW, these are 3 week old Sony Vtc6's.

Last edited:

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
What was the voltage of the cells you consider "fully discharged" when removed from your Aegis?

Most cells can be discharged to 2.5v, a few have a higher discharge voltage 2.8v with no harm.
Fully discharged vtc6 would be 2.5v.

Sure discharging below 3.0v may reduce overall cell life by a few recharge cycles, a few, like an unnoticeable amount.

Are you sure your 3 week old Sony Vtc6's are authentic?

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
When the Legend first came out, it had an issue with battery life. GeekVape made a firmware update to allegedly fix that issue. I don't know how, but perhaps it was merely a change in the battery voltage cutoff function.

I would recommend you have ECF's Geekvape official address your issue.
Geekvape Aegis Legend

VapourFlavour

Moved On
Oct 16, 2018
Ontario, Canada
When the Legend first came out, it had an issue with battery life. GeekVape made a firmware update to allegedly fix that issue. I don't know how, but perhaps it was merely a change in the battery voltage cutoff function.

I would recommend you have ECF's Geekvape official address your issue.
Geekvape Aegis Legend
Thanks Baditude. I did put this post on their thread here , waiting to hear back. I put this thread up to see if other people had experienced the same issue. Funny enough Radar2013 just replied to my post on the GeekVape customer service thread saying that he has the same issue on 2 of his Legends.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Baditude

VapourFlavour

Moved On
Oct 16, 2018
Ontario, Canada
What issue? I'd like to know my battery life is accurate. The Legend is the mod I take everywhere. Now I should carry extra batteries all of a sudden because the Legend shows more battery life that I really have. I'm running a pair down right now to 50% on the screen and am going to take pictures of what they show on the mod, then what the charger and another mod show.

• Optimistic
Reactions: untar

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
My Legend is running FW version 1.2-0710. Battery indicator shows ~ half. Same batteries in both a Vaporesso Polar and Rage Squonker shows the same on their respected indicators. My handy dandy battery charger indicated the cells were at 3.68 volts. My voltmeter shows 3.65. A 0.03 volts difference can be written off as a small margin of error. DJSLsb has measured the Legend pre Firmware update to have a cutoff between 3.19 and 3.11 volts. If the cutoff remained the same with the new FW, 3.65 volts would indicate half battery as displayed by my Legend.

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
The only way to know is to install fully charged cells then run those cells until the aegis stops firing, remove them, then measure their voltage with a multimeter.
Also take note of overall time, example;
install cells 10am, refuse to fire 10pm. = 12 hrs.

Different power devices have different low voltage cutoffs and differing ways of calculating & displaying battery levels.

Counterfeit cells rarely perform consistently.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
The battery indicator is just a graphical representation of what to expect. It is not 100 % accurate by any means – it is fairly accurate but lacks detail.

Batteries measured at 3.65 volts as per volt meter.

Vaporesso Polar shows half battery life. Cut off for this device is 3.18 to 3.2 volts as per DJLsb

Desire Rage shows half battery life (as counted by the bars). Cut off for this device is 2.86 to 2.97 volts as per DJLsb

GV Legend shows half battery life. Cut off pre FW update is 3.11 to 3.19 volts. As per DJLsb

3 different mods, 3 different cut off’s, same battery indicator.

Will confirm cut off for all the above devices once batteries are drained.

• Useful
Reactions: VapourFlavour

VapourFlavour

Moved On
Oct 16, 2018
Ontario, Canada
The only way to know is to install fully charged cells then run those cells until the aegis stops firing, remove them, then measure their voltage with a multimeter.
Also take note of overall time, example;
install cells 10am, refuse to fire 10pm. = 12 hrs.

Different power devices have different low voltage cutoffs and differing ways of calculating & displaying battery levels.

Counterfeit cells rarely perform consistently.
I bought the Sony's from a recommended site that's reputable. I'll also try what you've suggested. Thanks

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
So my multimeter shows these batteries at 3.2V which GeekVape claims is their cutoff.

Where is that spec? I mentioned DJLsb measured between 3.11 and 3.19 pre firmware update. I have not found actual spec from Geekvape. It is not uncommon for an update to reduce this cutoff to improve battery life.

• Agree

VapourFlavour

Moved On
Oct 16, 2018
Ontario, Canada
Where is that spec? I mentioned DJLsb measured between 3.11 and 3.19 pre firmware update. I have not found actual spec from Geekvape. It is not uncommon for an update to reduce this cutoff to improve battery life.
I'm pretty sure that spec is in the users manual. I read it on here though

ppeeble

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2013
Poole UK
This won't help at all but....
My brand-new Canon camera shows full battery, then drops to 2/3 battery on the indicator then shortly after cuts out. Apart from the fact that it's bl**dy annoying it goes to show that these battery indicators - even on reputable devices - are not accurate.
Even my Provari 3 will show around 50% power to no power in a quarter of the time it takes to get from 100% to 50%.
There's a lesson in there somewhere o_O probably due to poor algorithms somewhere in the chip sets.

Oh, and my point is - You may find that even though there's a 50% reading showing, the power may drop dramatically to 0% shortly after.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread