Aegis Legend Kit - Geekvape

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim Wiseman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2017
Bolton, England
Hi ECF members, In this review i take a look at the aegis legend Kit by Geekvape, included in the kit is the Aero Mesh Sub-ohm tank. The aegis legend Kit was supplied for the purpose of this review by Carrie from Geekvape.

Aegis Legend Kit

In the Box

Contents:

1 x Aegis Legend MOD
1 x Aero Mesh Version Tank(5ml, Mesh Coil 0.2ohm pre-installed)
1 x Extra Glass Tube(4ml)
1 x IM4 0.15ohm coil head
1 x User Manual
1 x USB Cable
Spare Parts

Aesthetics and Ergonomics

The legends aesthetics are very busy due to the use of 6 different durable materials, making the device look as solid as it is. The materials used are, LSR Silicone, Carbon Steel, Die-Cast Aluminium, Die-Cast Zinc Alloy, Leather and Stainless Steel Powder Metallurgy. I received the Camo version but the Legend is also available in Silver, Snake Skin, Black and Orange, and Stealth Black versions, mine came with a Black Aero Mesh Sub-ohm Tank. Looking at the device from the side towards the front we have army grade black silicone, then we have a Gun Metal bracket which helps secure the leather (in colour of choice) with padding at the rear of the device. The front has a large light switch style fire button at the top, at the bottom we have a rocker button for the - and + and between navigation rocker and fire switch we have a large colour display. The spine of the device has a leather cover which has padding underneath for comfort, the bottom is the excellent battery door with venting (i will explain this later). Moving to the top of the device and towards the front we have a large silicone seal which once removed reveals the micro USB port then centrally we have an excellent spring loaded 510. Ergonomically the Legend is superb, with the cushioned leather and light switch style firing button making it very comfortable to use. The build quality is has good as it gets and the Legend must be the best made device i have to date.

Aero Mesh Sub-ohm Tank Specs and Features:

Size: 25 x 45mm (w/o thread)
Capacity: 4ml (a 5ml bulb glass tube included)/ 2ml(TPD Edition)
Coil Type: Mesh Coil 0.2ohm (30-90W); IM4 0.15ohm (60-80W)
Thread: 510 thread
4ml Innovative and powerful subohm tank
All-new super mesh coil for outstanding flavor
Quick access top refill system
Adjustable bottom airflow control
Compatible with IM series coils
Colours: Silver, Black, Black and Orange, Rainbow

Aero Mesh Sub-ohm Tank Overview

The Aero Mesh tank is a quite large capacity tank, with the standard edition it comes pre-installed with a 5ml bubble glass but the kit also includes a 4ml straight glass. The Aero is duel cyclops with stopper and top-fill employing the same slight turn then off the top comes as the Zeus, revealing 2 generous fill ports. The drip tip is a delrin 810, the top has slight texturing and the base section is smooth with the word "AERO" etched on. The Aero comes with a quad 0.15 coil rated at 60w-80w and a pre-installed 0.2 mesh coil rated at 30w-90w best between 60w-80w. There have been a lot of mesh coils released recently and in my opinion they have improved the flavour of sub-ohm tanks and seem to be the way forward. I only used the Mesh coil in the Aero and it gave awesome flavour for a sub-ohm tank and plenty of cloud.

Aegis Legend Specs and Features:

Size: 90.5x 58.5 x 30.6mm
MAX power output: 200W
Output mode: VW/ VPC/TC/TCR/BYPASS
Resistance range: 0.05-3.0ohm
Temperature Range: 100-315℃/200-600℉
Operating temperature: -40℃ - 80℃
Level: IP67 waterproof and dustproof; MIL STD 810G-516.6 military grade shockproof
Extremely durable and powerful Box MOD
New AS chipset with fast, stable & powerful performance
Constructed with six materials for extreme durability
Waterproof, shockproof and dust-proof design
Powered by Dual 18650 batteries with longer battery life
200W Max output with colored display screen
Supporting direct charging & firmware update
Colours: Silver, Snake Skin, Black and Orange, Camo, Stealth Black

Waterproof, Dustproof and Shockproof.

It's a great durable mod and although no one including Geekvape will suggest going diving or throwing the device from a 9th floor window you would have to go some to break the device by accident. Made from 6 different durable materials including army grade silicone it will take some knocks. The device is IP67 waterproof which means it will withstand being immersed in water up to 1 meter in depth for up to 30 mins and there's some clever ways the Legend is a fully operating device yet waterproof. When looking at the device you can think well water will get in there, there and there etc but there is a way it is kept sealed everywhere, i will mention 2 of them. The most obvious one is the USB port which is kept sealed with a silicone bung (you get a spare) i would recommend only using the USB port for possible future firmware upgrades, then there's the battery venting. When opening the battery door you can see the venting holes do not go all the way through keeping the device waterproof but there are 6 circular soft pads which will pop out with the heat from venting then revealing the venting holes.

Waterproof:

Dustproof:

Shockproof:

Using the Aegis Legend

Fitting the 2 18650's is done via the bottom battery door which is possibly the most solid of it's type i have come across, when opened (it has a sturdy spring action) you can see how the seals keep the Legend waterproof, the orientation though should be more clearly marked in my opinion. The Legend is the usual 5 clicks to turn on and 5 clicks to turn off and it has a large bright screen with a very clear layout. There are some combination key press functions which are, + and fire together increases the brightness of the screen, - and fire together decreases the brightness of the screen and - and + together locks the device. The screen displays the mode at the top, under this the wattage (temperature when in temp control), under this the 2 battery status bars, then the resistance, under this the volts (wattage when in temp control), then the volts (TCR value when in temp control) and finally puffs which when you vape changes to time vaped and then goes back to puffs afterwards. Pressing the fire button 3 times highlights the mode which now can be changed. When highlighted each press of the + button takes you to the next mode and if you overshoot the - button takes you back, the modes are Power, TC-Ni, TC-SS, TC-Ti, TCR, VPR (variable power curve, usually called CCW) and Bypass. If you use temp control then when the mode you want is highlighted each press of the fire button takes you to the next item on the screen you can alter, you can lock resistance and set wattage. The interface is very uncomplicated and those that have the original Aegis will be very familiar with it. The legend also has a colour screen but Geekvape have not gone over the top by using loads of colour still keeping a classy look, you have the choice of the information being displayed in 3 different colours. To change the colour of the display when the mode is highlighted keep pressing the - and + together to change through the 3 colour options.

Performance

It's a winner, fires instantly and performed great with all the various tanks i tried. Curves worked great and in general it was a pleasure to use, i particularly like the light switch style fire button. Another big plus for the Legend is it will accommodate up to a 30mm tank without overhang. The battery life was as good as any other duel 18650 device i can think of and it is fully firmware upgradeable.

Conclusion

We are still comfortably in the first half of 2018 yet the Legend will be talked about when the best devices of 2018 are discussed at the end of the year, no doubt about that.

Build Quality
Build Materials
Comfort of use
Waterproof
Dustproof
Shockproof
Excellent battery door
Fires Instantly
Solid, no rattles
Light switch style fire button
30mm tanks without overhang
Curves
Temp control
Colourscreen
Large, good layout display
Easy to use
Firmware upgradeable

Dislikes (clutching at straws)

Battery orientation could be more clear.

I would like to thank Carrie from Geekvape for supplying the Aegis Legend Kit for the purpose of this review.

Aegis Legend Kit

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Thank you Tim for such an excellent and thorough review. I also recently received the Geekvape Aegis Legend kit with the Aero Mesh Sub-ohm Tank for review purposes. Instead of doing another full review, I'd just like to compare my experience with yours.
authentic-geekvape-aegis-legend-mod-200w-tc-vw-box-mod-aero-mesh-version-tank-kit-silver-5200w-2-x-18650-5ml.jpg

I received the black and silver model with the orange leather. I was hoping that they would send me this one because this was my favorite look. My first thought is this is a very attractive looking mod; the addition of leather adds a "classy" look to the mod in my opinion.

Before receiving this mod, I wasn't sure that I would like the rather unique shape of the fire button, but after using it for a couple of days I find it to be very comfortable and easy to use. It's easy to find if vaping in the dark. PBusardo had remarked the force required to depress the switch was more than most mods that he had tested, and since I have arthritis in my fingers and especially in my thumb, I was worried this could be an issue. I generally use my index finger to fire the switch, and I find it no more difficult to use than my other mods.

Comfort: As I stated, I have arthritic fingers, and some mods cause me some discomfort when gripping them in my hand. This is a large and heavy mod. Size: 90.5 x 58.5 x 30.6mm. Weight: 298 grams. My Segelei Fuschai 213 Plus is a dual battery box mod which is quite a bit smaller and lighter (88.6 x 43.6 x 29mm; 224 grams) by comparison to the Legend. The silicone edges of the Legend not only help protect the mod, but are easy on the hand, too. No hard metal digging into my hand and fingers.

The Segelei has a smaller and less prominent fire button, and sometimes it can be difficult to "find" the switch with the tip of my index finger, especially in the dark. As I stated, the Legend's fire button is easy to find, even in the dark.

v560101g.jpg

Segelei Fuschai 213 Plus​

I also have the Wismec Reuleau RX200 three-battery mod to compare with the Legend. Weight with batteries: 328 grams. 83.5 x 49.5 x 38.4mm. Despite being a 3-battery mod, it appears to be smaller than the Legend when gripped in my hand. Having more of an ovoid shape and "footprint", it is much more comfortable in my hand than the Legend's bulky rectangular shape. I can certainly understand the sacrifices a manufacturer must make to manufacture such a rugged mod requiring some sacrifices in weight, size, and shape. The more that I use the Legend, the easier I can find my ideal grip for it.

dtbHLUB.jpg

Wismec Reuleau RX200​
I found the Legend's battery door easy to operate. With my arthritic fingers, this was somewhat of a concern, but it turned out to not be a problem at all. I've been using my Samsung 30Q 3000mah 15A batteries in the Legend, and I have been getting an acceptable two days use with them. The two battery icons on the display screen seem to indicate each battery's voltage individually and accurately.

I've only used the Legend in wattage mode. PBusardo and Daniel have tested the Legend in all of its modes and stated the Legend fires coils instantly and accurately with no delay. They described the Legend's ability to do temp control as "good".

I agree with your point to not charge batteries with the USB port, reserving that port for firmware upgrades only. The silicone USB plug which allows the Legend to be waterproof is relatively fragile, although Geekvape supplies a spare in the kit. So I recommend charging batteries outside of the mod.

Overall Impression: I believe the original single battery Aegis and dual battery Legend fill a niche for those users who may be physically hard on their battery devices and are seeking a ruggedly made, especially durable regulated battery device. Both models can stand alone on their own merits when compared to the competition, but the fact that they are designed to be more rugged and robust sets the bar even higher for the competition.

It is water proof up to 1 meter depth for 30 minutes, so it would be ideal to use at the beach, swimming pool, or fishing on a boat on the lake. It is also dustproof, meaning it is immune to sand, dirt, or sawdust; being waterproof this debrie can be removed by rinsing it with tap water from your sink. (Of course, dry out the 510 with a paper towel or cotton applicator before firing your atomizer)

It is shock proof. It can withstand a drop from one meter without harm. It is not "unbreakable", as witnessed by many You Tubers who have thrown it against a concrete wall or run it over with a car. But it should be able to handle most accidental drops onto a sidewalk or tile floor with ease.

In the final analysis, this would be an ideal rugged mod for a construction worker or active outdoorsman. It's a little too large and heavy for my tastes as an all-day, every-day battery device. I prefer using a single battery device that fits more easily in a pocket, such as the JAC Vapor series B DNA75W.

images

JAC Vapor series B DNA75W​

The Aero Mesh Sub-ohm Tank was a welcome surprise. The Geekvape representative told me to expect the Zeus dual RTA. I've gotten away from using rebuildables over the last couple of years, preferring the convenience of clearomizer tanks using factory made drop in coils.

geek_vape_aero_mesh_tank.jpg

This is a very nice looking, well designed, larger capacity clearomizer tank. Truthfully, I had been looking for a higher capacity, short and stubby tank to use on my JAC Vapour series B DNA 25 mm mod. The bubble tank tube holds 5 ml of e-liquid. The straight spare tank tube holds 4 ml. Bottom diameter is 25mm. The top fill cap is easy to operate to add e-liquid.

9633516-1.jpg

Geek Vape Aero Mesh Replacement Coils Features:

• Aero Mesh Coil System
  • 0.2 Ohm Super Mesh X1 Coil - Rated for 30-90W
  • 0.4ohm IM1 Coil - Rated for 40-60W
  • 0.15ohm IM4 Coil - Rated for 60-80W
  • Kanthal Wires
  • 100% Organic Cotton
GeekVape-Shield-Replacement-Coil-5pcs_0038984825ff.jpg

20180412162929-5acf18e9cc632.jpg

I've not had previous experience with mesh coils. I'm still experimenting with wattage ranges. So far, these coils provide a pretty warm vaping experience ... too warm for me. My preference is for a cooler vape. I think my issue is the wattage range these coils seem to require. I typically vape in the 30 watt range. To get decent vapor production these coils seem to need at least 50 - 60 watts. I love the tank, but so far I'm not loving the coils available.

The replacement coils for this tank are pretty expensive compared to other tanks' coils. $17 for a 5 pack.

The coils for the SMOK TFV12 Baby Prince Tank and the SMOK TFV8 Baby Series are also compatible with this tank.

I find it a little odd that the coils for the Aero Mesh and SMOK tanks are only available with kanthal wire and therefore are not compatible for Temp Control.

I have contacted the Geekvape representative for advice on the coils available. I made a suggestion that Geekvape should offer coils for folks who are not high wattage vapers and who prefer to vape in the under 30 watt range.

Thanks to Geekvape for allowing me to review these two products. :)

Last edited:

Tim Wiseman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2017
Bolton, England
Thank you Tim for such an excellent and thorough review. I also recently received the Geekvape Aegis Legend kit with the Aero Mesh Sub-ohm Tank. Instead of doing another full review, I'd just like to compare my experience with yours.
authentic-geekvape-aegis-legend-mod-200w-tc-vw-box-mod-aero-mesh-version-tank-kit-silver-5200w-2-x-18650-5ml.jpg

I received the black and silver model with the orange leather. I was hoping that they would send me this one because this was my favorite look. My first thought is this is a very attractive looking mod; the addition of leather adds a "classy" look to the mod in my opinion.

Before receiving this mod, I wasn't sure that I would like the rather unique shape of the fire button, but after using it for a couple of days I find it to be very comfortable and easy to use. It's easy to find if vaping in the dark. PBusardo had remarked the force required to depress the switch was more than most mods that he had tested, and since I have arthritis in my fingers and especially in my thumb, I was worried this could be an issue. I generally use my index finger to fire the switch, and I find it no more difficult to use than my other mods.

Comfort: As I stated, I have arthritic fingers, and some mods cause me some discomfort when gripping them in my hand. This is a relative large and heavy mod. My Segelei Fuschai 213 Plus is a dual battery box mod which is quite a bit smaller and lighter by comparison to the Legend, yet I have adapted my grip on the Legend to the point that it is more comforable to hold than the Segelei. The silicone edges of the Legend not only help protect the mod, but are easy on the hand, too. No hard metal digging into my hand and fingers.

The Segelei has a smaller and less prominent fire button, and sometimes it can be difficult to "find" the switch with the tip of my index finger, especially in the dark. As I stated, the Legend's fire button is easy to find, even in the dark.

v560101g.jpg

Segelei Fuschai 213 Plus​

I also have the Wismec Reuleau RX200 three-battery mod to compare with the Legend. Despite being a 3-battery mod, it is lighter and smaller than the Legend. Having more of an ovoid shape and "footprint", it is much more comfortable in my hand than the Legend's bulky rectangular shape. I can understand manufacturing such a rugged mod requires some sacrifices in weight, size, and shape. The more that I use the Legend, the easier I can find my ideal grip for it.

dtbHLUB.jpg

Wismec Reuleau RX200​
I found the Legend's battery door easy to operate. With my arthritic fingers, this was somewhat of a concern, but it turned out to not be a problem at all. I've been using my Samsung 30Q 3000mah 15A batteries in the Legend, and I have been getting an acceptable two days use with them. The two battery icons on the display screen seem to indicate each battery's voltage individually and accurately.

I've only used the Legend in wattage mode. PBusardo and Daniel have tested the Legend in all of its modes and stated the Legend fires coils instantly and accurately with no delay. They said the Legend does temp control "good".

I agree with your point to not charge batteries with the micro USB, reserving that port for firmware upgrades only. The silicone USB plug which allows the Legend to be waterproof is relatively fragile, although Geekvape supplies a spare in the kit. So I recommend charging batteries outside of the mod.

Overall Impression: I believe the original single battery Aegis and dual battery Legend fill a niche for those users who may be physically hard on their battery devices and are seeking a ruggedly made, especially durable regulated battery device.

It is water proof up to 1 meter depth for 30 minutes, so it would be ideal to use at the beach, swimming pool, or fishing on a boat on the lake. It is also dustproof, meaning it is immune to sand, dirt, or sawdust; being waterproof these can be removed by rinsing it under the water tap. (Dry out the 510 with a paper towel or cotton applicator before firing your atomizer)

It is shock proof. It can withstand a drop of one meter without harm. It is not "unbreakable", as witnessed by many You Tubers who have thrown it against a concrete wall or run it over with a car. But it should be able to handle most accidental drops on a sidewalk or tile floor with ease.

The Aero Mesh Sub-ohm Tank was a welcome surprise. The Geekvape representative told me to expect the Zeus dual RTA. I've gotten away from using rebuildables over the last couple of years, preferring the convenience of clearomizer tanks using factory made drop in coils.

geek_vape_aero_mesh_tank.jpg

This is a very nice looking, well designed, larger capacity clearomizer tank. Truthfully, I had been looking for a higher capacity, short and stubby tank to use on my JAC Vapour series B DNA 25 mm mod. The bubble tank tube holds 5 ml of e-liquid. The straight spare tank tube holds 4 ml. Bottom diameter is 25mm. The top fill cap is easy to operate to add e-liquid.

9633516-1.jpg

Geek Vape Aero Mesh Replacement Coils Features:

• Aero Mesh Coil System
  • 0.2 Ohm Super Mesh X1 Coil - Rated for 30-90W
  • 0.4ohm IM1 Coil - Rated for 40-60W
  • 0.15ohm IM4 Coil - Rated for 60-80W
  • Kanthal Wires
  • 100% Organic Cotton
GeekVape-Shield-Replacement-Coil-5pcs_0038984825ff.jpg

20180412162929-5acf18e9cc632.jpg

I've not had previous experience with mesh coils. I'm still experimenting with wattage ranges. So far, these coils provide a pretty warm vaping experience ... too warm for me. My preference is for a cooler vape. I think my issue is the wattage range these coils seem to require. I typically vape in the 30 watt range. To get decent vapor production these coils seem to need at least 50 - 60 watts. I love the tank, but so far I'm not loving the coils available.

The coils for the SMOK TFV12 Baby Prince Tank and the SMOK TFV8 Baby Series are also compatible with this tank.

I find it a little odd that the coils for the Aero Mesh and SMOK tanks are only available with kanthal wire and therefore are not compatible for Temp Control.

I have contacted the Geekvape representative for advice on the coils available. I made a suggestion that Geekvape should offer coils for folks who are not high wattage vapers and who prefer to vape in the under 30 watt range.
Excellent review, the weight and size of the Legend gives it no business to be ergonomic in any sense yet Geekvape pull it off, i have the original aegis too which is the same colour as your legend and definitely the pick of the colours, very classy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread