Status
Not open for further replies.

SP013

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 14, 2019
Warsaw, Poland
Hello,

Today I have the Aegis X – Zeus SubOhm kit for review.

The Aegis X kit is the newest dual-18650 battery mod in the Aegis series with its main feature being the massive 2.4 inch screen. The Zeus SubOhm is the latest drop-in coil tank from Geekvape which is released with more and more kits lately, instead of the Cerberus.

Thank you @Geekvape_Official for sending me this kit!

Specifications:

Aegis X mod
Size: 90x 31.3x 56.1mm
2.4" OLED color screen
Power output: 5- 200W
Working temp: -10- 45℃
Charging requirement: 5V/ 2A
PCBA temperature alarm: 80℃
Standby current: Less than 10uA
Resistance range: 0.05ohm- 3.0ohm
Temp range: 100- 315℃/ 200- 600℉
Powered by dual 18650 batteries (Not included)
Menu: Auto/ Theme/ Color/ Version/ ABB/ Reset
Mode: Memory (M1-4)/ Power/ TC (SS, Ni, Ti, TCR)/ VPC/ Bypass

Zeus Sub Ohm Tank
Size: 26x 42.5mm
Drip tip type: 810
Juice capacity: 5.0ml
Filling method: Top fill
Mesh Z1 coil: 0.4ohm, 60- 70W
Mesh Z2 coil: 0.2ohm, 70- 80W (Pre-installed)

In the Box:

1 Aegis X Mod
1 Geek Vape ZEUS Sub-Ohm Tank
1 0.4ohm Z1 Mesh Coil
1 0.2ohm Z2 Mesh Coil
1 Spare Glass Tube
1 Coil Tool
1 MicroUSB Cable
1 Promotion Card & Warranty Card
1 User Manual

Review:

Aegis X Mod:

It is nicely packed and when opening the box, the Aegis X mod straight away shows its specialty, the massive 2.4inch screen pops right out of the box, didn’t expect it to be this large in real. The screen is very sharp and bright.

Big screens do have bigger troubles, the screen is made from plastic which means it easily scratches like we know from other aegis mods. Nice touch from Geekvape they included an additional plastic screen cover, but it would be great if Geekvape would also release proper glass protectors next to the plastic covers.

For me the screen is a bit on the massive side though, I am a simple guy that just needs the information from the device, this screen does not show more information than the other aegis mods really, of course navigating the menu is simpler.

The grip and design of this mod makes it a comfortable grip, with the leather texture and silicone build it just fits and holds very well in the hand. Quite sure that this is the most ergonomically mod I have had in my hands so far. The screen is not really having a negative impact on the grip. Also, the mod is not that heavy for a dual battery mod.

The battery door on the bottom opens and closes easily, I do have a feeling however this could be one of the weaknesses of the design, would have to see in the coming months, but I think the battery door can be easily damaged if one is not careful.

There is plenty of settings available - screen appearance and colour, 4 profiles, preheat, VPC and bypass mode, along with the normal wattage and TC

Switching through different mods and settings on the device is simple and the big screen makes it super over viewable. Nice additional feature is that in the menu you can choose between 3 different designs which again have 5 different color options each.

The mod itself just works as well as the other Aegis mods, it has all the features you’d expect from a mod, I myself did not use it in temperature control as I didn’t have any coils on stock that can manage TC.

It has 3 power options, soft, standard and powerful. In my opinion it does not make such a big difference, basically what is does is the following; when in soft the wattage will start around 10% lower than the setting of the mod, but after 1 second or so it will be at the level as set on the device. Standard just starts off at the selected wattage and powerful will in the first second kick off around 10% higher than its setting and then go back in wattage as set on the device.

Looking at the user manual I couldn’t figure out what ‘AAB’ and ‘Auto’ are standing for in the menu, Geekvape should have included this. Anyways, AAB is balanced battery drainage even when using 2 different capacity batteries. Auto I wasn’t able to find a clear answer, but I’ve read on the internet it allows the mod to define the perfect wattage level for your coil.

The fire button is the best I’ve used so far, the shape and quite deep click make it a very nice fire-button. Same counts for the menu buttons, but they are smaller.

I couldn’t resist to put this mod to the test and put it in a jar of water for 5 minutes to see if it really is that waterproof, and the answer is yes, it did survive the test very well. Not the kind of person though to smash it against a wall and get a car to drive over it, but from video’s I’ve seen on the internet it will survive hard smashes and car tires.

jar-water.jpg

One thing I was worried about with this mod and its large screen is the battery cycle I would get out of it with this screen, so I also put that to the test with the mod itself. I did one full cycle with the screen on with a 100% brightness and one full cycle in stealth mod (screen off), during both cycles I was using the exact same coils, batteries (2x VTC5A), juice and wattage level (70W). My puffs in average are between 3.5s-4s

The results:

Screen on 100% brightness – 175 puffs

Stealth mode – 196 puffs

So, in stealth mod it does allow more puffs before the batteries are fully drained, unfortunately every time the device is turned off and back on the stealth mod needs to be activated.

Still 175 puffs are not bad for 70 watts, gets me through more than a full day.

Zeus SubOhm:

The tank is easy to take apart for cleaning and coil replacement. Cool little thing they added is the coil tool, I thought it would not be necessary when I heard about it, but without it its hard (for me) to take out the coil.

A very mess-free and easy fill method and port. Simply unscrew the top cap and fill it through the large fill ports, the round ‘well’ in the fill port makes it possible to slightly overfill and not spill any liquid, love that.

Smooth airflow ring with a stopper, not too loose and not too tight.

What I like the most about this tank is the top airflow. Very smooth airflow, no whistling or loud air intake.

It vapes well, the Z2 (70-80) is performing (in my opinion) better than the Z1, it just gives more flavor and clouds, but both are good coils. Flavor wise this tank is not the best I’ve tried so far, but the smoothness of the vape totally pays back for that, the flavor is still good.

Zero spit back or dry hits. The cotton keeps up well and stays saturated, even when chain vaping.

The coils last long with minimal flavor drop, have been using both coils over 1000 puffs and they still vape well, I did not clean them whatsoever.

Something I haven’t seen before is that while vaping the bubbles in the tank are filled with vaper, this makes the tank a bit foggy. Probably that’s because of the top airflow. It doesn’t bother me at all, its looks quite cool actually.

Since it is a top airflow tank the distance from the top cap to the coil is larger, Geekvape should have included a shorter drip-tip (same as the Aegis X for example), because the flavor improves significantly when using a short drip-tip.

Capacity of 5 ML, what can I say its an, average capacity for a SubOhm tank, does the job.

As Geek vape claims, the tank is indeed leakproof, I did not have any leaking issues apart from minimal condensation build up in the base of the tank. Even without the base of the tank, there is no liquid leaking through the coil.

Conclusion:

One of my favorite Dual-battery mod kits. The Aegis X is just a fantastic mod laying very nicely in the hand. Its massive screen is not a necessity, but it’s a nice addition. Normally I do not take bigger mods out of home so for me the large screen is not an issue, if you however go out often you might have to always cover the screen with some tape so it does not scratch.

It pairs really well with the Zeus Sub-ohm, in my opinion a much better tank than the Cerberus. It has two nice coils and the airflow is smooth, flavor is great from these coils.

I highly recommend this kit for everyone that is looking for a dual battery mod that includes a proper SubOhm tank.

Thank you for reading my review, let me know if you have any question!

SP013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread