AFS v2 atties dying too quickly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fcuk112

ECF Veteran
Jun 10, 2009
United Kingdom
hi i am using GGT @ 7.4v and bought the AFS v2 and AFS v2 i7 atties about 10 days ago. in the last week or so, already 3 of these atties have stopped working. maybe i am doing something wrong when refilling the AFS tank? the reason why i ask is because it seems the atties stop working after i refill the tank. maybe i am flooding something?

please advise.

imeothanasis

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 13, 2009
Athens, Hellas
gg-goldengreek.com
hi i am using GGT @ 7.4v and bought the AFS v2 and AFS v2 i7 atties about 10 days ago. in the last week or so, already 3 of these atties have stopped working. maybe i am doing something wrong when refilling the AFS tank? the reason why i ask is because it seems the atties stop working after i refill the tank. maybe i am flooding something?

please advise.

What your multimeter says about their rersistance Fcuk?

imeothanasis

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 13, 2009
Athens, Hellas
gg-goldengreek.com
i don't have a multimeter - maybe i should get one?

i only know that they have stopped working just after refilling the tank - is it possible to damage the atties when refilling?

thanks.

I dont see a way to damage the atty after refilling fcuk. But a multimeter is a must, so you can say for sure that atty is dead. Some atties need cleaning to work again because they build resistance

imeothanasis

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 13, 2009
Athens, Hellas
gg-goldengreek.com
well i changed to another i7 afs v2 atty about 2 hours ago, only took a couple of vapes. then i heard a small pop and now this one has stopped working as well!

did i get a bad batch of atties? the only thing i changed recently also was that i started using AW brand batteries.

=(

Yes, maybe a bad batch Fcuk. How many the bad ones are?

fcuk112

ECF Veteran
Jun 10, 2009
United Kingdom
well i ordered 5 of the afs v2 901 i7 atties and 4 of them have died already... =(

i got an email response from Lisa asking me to double-check with you whether the batteries i am using are OK (2 x AW IMR16340 3.7V).

thank god i got the GG slim recently so i can still vape whilst i am waiting for this issue to be resolved... =) sorry if my posts are a bit negative, i must add the GG slim and AFS v2 are genius! ^_^

just ordered a multimeter from amazon...

thanks imeo!

WetStick

Jan 6, 2010
Greenville, SC
I’ve had some very good results with my AFS V2 over the past 3 weeks or so. Here are a couple things that I do and have run into that might help you out. I need to get back to my “nursing duties” so I’m doing this quick and hope I don’t make too many spelling error. If anyone is interested; I can come back later and add photos.

Refilling: I’ve been able to refill the AFS 6 or 7 times now, without a full tear down as long as I remember to do the following.

1. Of course close the control ring.

2. Seal the Atty. I’ve made a seal out of a Cart, plumbers putty (anything like that would work), and Teflon tape. Remove the top cap from the tip of the cart and stuff a little putty in there and put the cap back on. The idea is; not to let any air go through the small hole(s) on the side of a cart that the Vape would normally go through. Wrap some Teflon tape around the bottom of the Cart, that goes into the Atty (not too much or the small ring on the AFS will not clear it, when removing. Again, the whole Idea is; to plug the air pressure in the Atty, so when you open the lid to add more juice, it won’t try to equalize between the tank and inside the atty, and therefore flooding the atty.

Even if I flood the Atty, I’ve been able to recover by; making sure the control ring is closed, loosen the small ring and pop up the o-ring a little to allow air to get by. Blow into the atty (with finger in mouth, so you can plug the top of the atty when you remove it from your mouth). That will send the juice from inside the atty to the tank. While keeping your finger on top of the atty, tighten the o-ring down with the small ring. I have done this (only once) with the control ring slightly open, and let’s just say; it will never happen again. Juice went everywhere. My shirt, my pants and my cat...

3. With the Atty plugged; I can take the top rings off the tank and refill. But, before filling, check to make sure that the Atty didn’t get loosened.

4. Put the rings back on the tank and then remove the homemade plug and put the AFS tip back on.

Since I don’t get a perfect seal with the plug; it seems like just enough juice gets into the atty, that I don’t need to prime.

Some things to check for:

a. When loosening the small ring; be careful that you don’t also loosen the atty.

b. Check the leftover juice in the tank and make sure that there is no debris in the tank.

c. Before attaching the assembled AFS to the GGTS, check the resistance to make sure that it’s correct. I don’t know why or what I’ve done; but when I first received my AFS, I put everything together and the somehow I’d have 0 ohms (Shorted or a battery’s nightmare). Then I would have to tear down and rebuild from scratch.

As someone said; a multi-meter is a must. A continuity tester is not going to cut it. I think I paid $5 USD for mine and the local department store. I’m always checking the resistance of my Atty’s. I’ve had some 2.7 ohms, over time, have become 5 or even 6 ohms. So, in an eGo, you would think it’s dead; but in a GGTS (without AFS) at 6 or 7 volts; it’s perfect.

Sorry for being long winded and for spelling and grammar errors, but I only get 30 minutes to an hour a day to be on here.

I recieved my GG Slim (with extention option) yesterday. I can't wait for the AFS for that guy. Hint, hint, nudge, nudge...:D

fcuk112

ECF Veteran
Jun 10, 2009
United Kingdom
i am not entirely clear what you're doing in (2) seal the atty - perhaps you could explain a little more? i thought it was sufficient to just close the control ring when refilling the AFS. if the atty has too much liquid inside it, couldn't you just turn it upside down to drain the liquid onto a paper towel or something?

it looks like my batteries (2 x AW IMR16340 3.7) may be a bit too strong for the i7 - even though they were explicitly recommended to me in another thread. i have the option of going back to 6v vaping with i6 atties or try some different 3.6v batteries.

cheers.

vapn

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 10, 2009
UK
Yea that is my favorite HV vape too... the i7 at 6v is the way to go. I have only popped about three iatties since I started using them. I have never liked the taste of 7.4v not even with the i7. Now we did get a few samples come through that were in the 5.5 ohm range that were very nice at 7.4v and I am still using those on my SS now. So yea, you may have gotten a batch of i7s that were just slightly lower than the specified resistance and would make really nice 6v atties but when you put those two IMR 3.7v AWs to it they just couldn't handle it. Plus when you are using a HV atty you have to keep em really wet, but over flooding can be a problem I think it stresses the coil out being under liquid. I could be totally off base but that is just my $0.02

fcuk112

ECF Veteran
Jun 10, 2009
United Kingdom
imeo and Lisa are going to gift me some atties as a gift - so hats of to them for providing excellent service here.

i've recharged all my old CR2 batteries + and will try the sole i7 i have left at 6v! thanks for the tip!

also will try the cartos at 6v! will definitely add it to my next order.

so the multimeter arrived from amazon a few days ago - i am a bit of a noob at this so does anyone have a guide on how to use this thing? need to read up a bit more on it i guess. e.g to measure resistance of an atty, which 2 points do i connect to the probes?

thanks.

vapn

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 10, 2009
UK
You want to set your multimeter to its lowest setting on the ohms mine is 200 Ω Then you need to check your internal resistance of YOUR meter by touching the two probes together. Mine reads about .5 ohms so I subtract that from the reading from the atomizer I am checking. You then touch one probe to the center pole and the other to the threads of the atty. If the atty IS dead you get NO reading at all. That means there is no current flowing through to the two points. You should check the atty just prior to hooking it up for the first time also to know what battery voltage to go with. The 4.5 ish ohm atty is good for 6v, and the ones that are 5 and up are good for 7.4v. Hope this helps....

Last edited:

wood_510

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 18, 2009
Georgia(US)
fcuk- this is the same problem that I've had with my AFS v2. I haven't quite found a remedy for it although I have found that some of my iatties have been a little lower in resistance than they should be. The lowered resistance has to be an issue from the chinese suppliers in my opinion. I will say that Imeo, Lisa, and Rob provide the best customer service I've found in the e-cig world. If you figure out how to get your's vaping great please let me know. I've been using cartos on mine and it's going nicely for the time being. Good luck and don't let this problem sway you from the GG line.. Imeo and company will make it right I promise.

Lisaf01

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2009
UK
www.cremedevape.com
awww, thanks Wood, yes, you're right about China sometimes sending the wrong resistances although I do check all of them and reject any that are outside my tolerances. Still it all depends on the way people vape and some people (and atomisers) just are better kept at 6V. I prefer 6V myself, but everyone's different.

FC, did you get the gift atties and did you work out your multimeter?

fcuk112

ECF Veteran
Jun 10, 2009
United Kingdom
lisa,

yup i worked out my multimeter and can now check the resistance of atties as well as check the voltage of my batteries (if i am doing it right). the meter shows > 4v for my IMR16340 batteries so maybe i was damaging the i7 atties with 2 at 8v in total?

also received the HV atties, thanks very much for them. i am back to vaping at 6V now and so far they seem to work very well. think i will stick to 6V for now, the taste seems better as well.

btw, are these HV atties supposed to work with AFS v2?

cheers.

Lisaf01

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2009
UK
www.cremedevape.com
lisa,

yup i worked out my multimeter and can now check the resistance of atties as well as check the voltage of my batteries (if i am doing it right). the meter shows > 4v for my IMR16340 batteries so maybe i was damaging the i7 atties with 2 at 8v in total?

also received the HV atties, thanks very much for them. i am back to vaping at 6V now and so far they seem to work very well. think i will stick to 6V for now, the taste seems better as well.

btw, are these HV atties supposed to work with AFS v2?

cheers.

Yep, they work lovely with the AFS v2.
I prefer 6v myself too - don't really get the fuss about very high voltage but that's the point, each to their own. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread