The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

after how many days i should change coils, how do you know its bad

Discussion in 'New Members Forum' started by buccaneersfan, Jun 13, 2019.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. buccaneersfan

buccaneersfan Full Member

Jun 7, 2019
    i vaped like 40-50ml on coil, how to know when to change it, im using smok nord

• Like Like x 1
  2. HigherStateD

HigherStateD Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Mar 11, 2019
    When the flavor fades, that's a good sign that the coil will start to spit hot, wet juice instead of warm, moist, vapor. These are the signs the coil is on its way out.

Sent from my XT1765 using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Useful Useful x 2
  3. Topwater Elvis

Topwater Elvis Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Dec 26, 2012
    Texas
    When the flavor or vapor production drops off noticeably or the airflow becomes restricted, or when it tastes odd, off, funky or burnt, or when it leaks for no apparent reason.

No set days or mls, head life has more to do with the flavorings & especially sweeteners used in the liquids you use and if you under or overpower the head which either causes coil gunk to build up rapidly or the wicking material to scorch or burn.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Useful Useful x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  4. charlie1465

charlie1465 Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Welcome to the friendly bunch :)

As others have said above there are various things which point towards a dodgy coil. If its a coil in an RDA then they can last a long time if you change out the cotton and give the coils a dry burn and brush. If it's a ready made drop in coil then both the cotton and the coil can make the vape unpleasant....

Really this is all subjective and if you are still enjoying your vape then it doesn't need changing...i've known people to admit to having the same coil in and RDA for several months.

Just go by how you feel :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. sonicbomb

sonicbomb Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 17, 2015
    1187 Hundertwasser
    When it tastes bad, that's the time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Shadav

Shadav Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 4, 2013
    Westfield, IN, USA
    depending on your usage and if you are using sweet juices or dark colored juices, these will tend to gunk up a coil faster..... coils can last anywhere from a few days to a few months....
    as stated above, when the flavor fades or the plume fades or if it tastes burnt (more than just for one hit or if you've been chain vaping and get a dry hit)

after replacing the coil, if it's not burnt you can take the coil out and let it soak in hot water or I use vodka for a day or two then let it dry for another day or two, you can reuse that coil

• Like Like x 1
  7. P3ch3

P3ch3 Super Member ECF Veteran

Jan 31, 2019
    smok nord coils lasts a while, according to liquid too, sweet or desert flavors are coil killers, but as other stated they last until start showing some weird flavors, spitting and also sometimes leaks, due burnt cotton and liquid cumming out,

Regards,

• Like Like x 1
  8. BrotherBob

BrotherBob ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Dec 24, 2014
    Sunnyvale,CA,USA
    You have posted in the new members forum, you are limited to the number of post in this forum.
    re: New Members - "How many posts do I need to..."
    In the future, you might want to post in the ECF forum most closely representing your subject/question. Suggest posting in :General vaping discussion and chat:
    General Vaping Discussion
    Often times,you may receive more knowledgeable/germane information from the membership in the above/appropriate forum.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Jesse James

Jesse James Full Member

Jun 2, 2019
    Seattle,WA
    Does underpowering a coil reduce its life?

• Like Like x 1
  10. Topwater Elvis

Topwater Elvis Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Dec 26, 2012
    Texas
    It can, not always.
    Depends on the amount of flavorings & sweeteners the liquid contains.
    Highly flavored & sweetened + under powering = rapid coil gunk build up.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. Jesse James

Jesse James Full Member

Jun 2, 2019
    Seattle,WA
    Uh-oh I use really sweet juice and am on the lowest part of the "suggested" zone. lol

• Like Like x 1
  12. Izan

Izan Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Jul 1, 2012
    Mallorca, Spain
    JJ,
    IMO: If you used the coil at 1/2 of the power you are using now, then it might be considered "underpowered".

HTH
    I

• Like Like x 1
  13. stols001

stols001 Mistress of the Dark Nicotinic Arts Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 30, 2017
    Keeping wattage lower will probably prevent some overheating. So, it may extend the life of the coil, depending on the coil. I would call "underpowering" a coil vaping it at less than the suggested wattage printed on the coil. I do that almost all the time because I like a really cool vape. I do get good coil life but I also DIY and rotate setups a lot.

As a newcomer (for me) I would go by the burnt, yukky taste. There are other signs you come to recognize, like yes, reduced vapor output and whatnot.

But mainly, if it tastes bad, it probably is bad. That is ONE sure sign you can go by.

Welcome to ECF.

Anna

14. vaper1960

vaper1960 Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Apr 24, 2019
    California, US
    My Aspire PockeX has no adjustments, but can use 2 different coils: 0.6 ohm and 1.2 ohm I have to dilute thicker/darker/sweeter juices for the 1.2 ohm coils (I use 50/50 tobacco flavor) The 0.6 last longer and have a bit more airflow (wish I had ordered more before I stocked up on 1.2, but did get a 5 pack anyway) If you catch an iffy coil soon enough, might try soaking in alcohol (vodka) and drying well... re-prime and maybe get some extra use, but most times it's too late.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Loz.

Loz. Full Member

Jun 20, 2019
    Again I'd agree with the comments of burnt taste and spitting or the feeling your lacking power even if you up your watts as the cotton stops being able to soak and as much juice so it wont put out a much vapour

In regards to the mtl coils I've used in an inokin I found the burnt taste not so obvious due to higher mg levels as I used 18mg juice so felt rather harsh normally. I then got given a bunch of home brewed juice at 70/30 that I used. I knew it would burn my coils out faster but was happy to replace more often. With them I noticed when the coil was going as again felt like I needed more power and that the flavour dulled. Depending on the juices I'd used I also could see the cotton through the little side holes had gone a slight grayish colour.

Lastly for my big coils in my drag mini tank I used the fire Luke mesh coils and with them and quite alot if other large tank coils you can see down inside them so can just see your cotton and when its started going brown. The draw also felt tighter and I found I started going through much less juice as the coil couldn't wick fully so less was burning off. I've not left a coil until it tastes burnt I've always changed it before. But when it was starting to go it would beging to taste almost stale, or damp if that makes sense like you could tell it was going through old cotton.

• Like Like x 1
  16. xxcharliehaha
    This message by xxcharliehaha has been removed from public view. Deleted by a moderator, Jun 21, 2019.
    Jun 20, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.