After using modern VW mods, are you happy with the limitations of a Mech mod ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flt Simulation

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2014
Florida
I am not here to run-down mech mods by any means. In fact, I just ordered a small 17mm wide Mini Nemesis mech mod and a 17mm wide Yiloong Mini Fogger RTA to set on top of it. This little setup will be used when I go out of the house for just a short period of time and don't want to bring a larger 22mm box mod and atty with me ... Something thin and light that can be just put in a front shirt pocket.

Anyway, I have a question ...

Let me start out by saying that I am a mouth to lung 'tootle-puffer'. I am currently using an eVic VTwo Mini VW box mod and a kayfun Lite-Plus V2 RTA. I have found that my sweet spot is using a 1.3 ohm single Kanthal coil and feeding it 11.5 watts.

It's obvious that the only time I will be able to achieve the 11.5 watts when using a mech mod and a 1.3 ohm coil is when the battery is at 3.85 volts. But how about when the battery is fully charged to about 4.0 volts, or needing a charge at about 3.4 volts?

10 wraps of Kanthal 27 gauge wire on a 5/64" (2.0mm) rod = 1.3 ohms

Volts: . . . . . . . . .4.0
Watts: . . . . . . . .12.3
Amps: . . . . . . . . 3.1
Heat Flux: . .. .. . 119 mW / mm²

Volts: . . . . . . . . .3.4
Watts: . . . . . . . . 8.9
Amps: . . . . . . . . 2.6
Heat Flux: . . . . . .86 mW / mm²

As you can see, the 1.3 ohm coil will get 12.3 watts when the battery is charged to 4.0 volts, but only 8.9 watts when the battery get down to 3.4 volts.

This causes the coil's heat flux to go from a nice 119 mW / mm2 down to a cold vape of only 86 mW / mm2. Sure, I can change my coil ohms higher or lower, but there will still be a very wide variation in coil heat and vape quality going from 4.0 volts down to 3.4 volts.

And here is my question to you folks .... I guess you folks find this variation acceptable since you use mech mods, but has it become at all, bothersome to you?

I guess we get spoiled with VW mods that has the ability to keep everything constant.

Thanks,
Ron

Ben85

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2014
Kent, UK
It hasn't become bothersome to me in the slightest. I build far lower than you and I know that to get through the day I need 3x 18650's to get the decent vape that I want. Yes I could get a more 'consistent' vape with a VW mod, but I like the reliability that comes with a mech. Eventually, every VW mod will break down at some point (this may be years for some I know) but a mech, with regular maintenance, will last a lifetime. This is why I never leave the house with just a regulated mod. I don't want the time it breaks down to be the time when I want it most.

Flt Simulation

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2014
Florida
I build far lower than you and I know that to get through the day I need 3x 18650's to get the decent vape that I want.

Ben ... Thanks for the reply. I am surprised you go though 3 18650s a day!

One 18650 (3000 mAh) will last me pretty much the whole day, but, with a 1.3 ohm single coil being fed 11.5 watts of power, my Kayfun is only pulling 3 amps of power out of the battery when it's firing.

Sylvie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2010
USA
nope, personally was not that happy with the limitations. I tried a couple in the past but, i just didn't like the unregulated vape. the only mech i kept is actually the nemi nemesis because it looks good with the kayfun mini v2.1. i rarely use it though because i am a weakling and don't like vaping on it when batt is fully charged (vape is too hot for me), i do love it though after batt drain some.

Flt Simulation

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2014
Florida
Sylvie ... Well, you could always use a coil with a little higher ohms (that would cool the vape down when the battery is fully charged) ... but after the battery gets lower on voltage, then the vape might be too cool for you.

You see, that's what bothers me a little about these mech mods ... You build a coil that gets you the perfect vape when the battery is kinda in the middle of it's charge (sweet spot), but then your not happy when it's fully charged, or almost fully run down.

oh well

Ben85

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2014
Kent, UK
Ben ... Thanks for the reply. I am surprised you go though 3 18650s a day!

One 18650 (3000 mAh) will last me pretty much the whole day, but, with a 1.3 ohm single coil being fed 11.5 watts of power, my Kayfun is only pulling 3 amps of power out of the battery when it's firing.

Because I build low I use LG HB6's, so the Mah is actually pretty low. On a day of high use I can easily need more, but that would be with me vaping over 20mls in one day.

Reactions: anavidfan

anavidfan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2012
U.S.
I dont claim to have a valid reason for "why the mech" , all I know is that I love the experience , the subtle changes from fresh battery to when it starts to decline.

There are a couple of my atties that are much better on a regulated battery, somehow they dont seem to handle the drop in power and they start to gurgle or just not be as enjoyable, but thats why I keep em on one of my 3 regulated devices. As for my others, they are fun to use on my 18 mechs.

I guess its like the old die hards that enjoy manual transmission cars.

CagedSpam

ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2015
FoPo, Oregon
In my limited experience when my batteries get below 50-60% the quality of the vape diminishes enough for me to start button mashing. I don't have a voltmeter to be able to find out how low I've gone so my bad on that.

all I know is that I love the experience , the subtle changes from fresh battery to when it starts to decline.

This is what I've been striving for on my mechs.

Reactions: Cosmic_Glaze

anavidfan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2012
U.S.
In my limited experience when my batteries get below 50-60% the quality of the vape diminishes enough for me to start button mashing. I don't have a voltmeter to be able to find out how low I've gone so my bad on that.

This is what I've been striving for on my mechs.

The closest to the "mech" feel with regulated mods is using my Provari Minis. My Yihi based 60 mod is good, but its ramps up faster/ stronger? The Provari have some sort of board that is different than most, maybe why some of the "power" people grow out of them. It seems to have a great smooth ramp up and feels more mechanical.

Reactions: MacTechVpr

somdcomputerguy

vaper dedicato
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
    I have a mech that I use more than 'occasionally' and a few other regulated mods that I use more often. I like the 'directness' of the mech. The 'strong' tokes at first, when the battery is fresh, and the slight dwindling at the '3.8V cruising speed'. A bit after this point I often then put the battery into one of my regulated mods (the Innokin 134 mini which uses the same 18350's or 18549's that I use in my mech) and when the LED goes red I'll charge it. Rather than leaving a battery in the mech until it just doesn't produce a good vape for me.

I like my regulated mods as well. The thing I like most is being able to change the voltage depending on how 'much' of a vape I want. For example, during the day I might have it putting out closer to 4 volts than I would in the early morning hours..

When it comes to comparing the two types of mods, the only thing I really like better is a side fire button on the regulated mods opposed to the bottom push switch on the mech. This is really only a small inconvenience for me, and I've found it going from a very small one up to 'kind of' one depending on how long I've been using either type..

somdcomputerguy

vaper dedicato
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
    The closest to the "mech" feel with regulated mods is using my Provari Minis.
    I have a Provari 2.5 that I purchased from a member here, and it is very close to overtaking my iStick TC60W in the 'favorite list' race in my head.
    What limitations?
    Ya, limitations is definitely not a word I would have used in the title if I had started this thread. I kinda knew the context it was to be taken in though.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA
    I am not here to run-down mech mods by any means. In fact, I just ordered a small 17mm wide Mini Nemesis mech mod and a 17mm wide Yiloong Mini Fogger RTA to set on top of it. This little setup will be used when I go out of the house for just a short period of time and don't want to bring a larger 22mm box mod and atty with me ... Something thin and light that can be just put in a front shirt pocket.

Anyway, I have a question ...

Let me start out by saying that I am a mouth to lung 'tootle-puffer'. I am currently using an eVic VTwo Mini VW box mod and a Kayfun Lite-Plus V2 RTA. I have found that my sweet spot is using a 1.3 ohm single Kanthal coil and feeding it 11.5 watts.

It's obvious that the only time I will be able to achieve the 11.5 watts when using a mech mod and a 1.3 ohm coil is when the battery is at 3.85 volts. But how about when the battery is fully charged to about 4.0 volts, or needing a charge at about 3.4 volts?

10 wraps of Kanthal 27 gauge wire on a 5/64" (2.0mm) rod = 1.3 ohms

Volts: . . . . . . . . .4.0
    Watts: . . . . . . . .12.3
    Amps: . . . . . . . . 3.1
    Heat Flux: . .. .. . 119 mW / mm²

Volts: . . . . . . . . .3.4
    Watts: . . . . . . . . 8.9
    Amps: . . . . . . . . 2.6
    Heat Flux: . . . . . .86 mW / mm²

As you can see, the 1.3 ohm coil will get 12.3 watts when the battery is charged to 4.0 volts, but only 8.9 watts when the battery get down to 3.4 volts.

This causes the coil's heat flux to go from a nice 119 mW / mm2 down to a cold vape of only 86 mW / mm2. Sure, I can change my coil ohms higher or lower, but there will still be a very wide variation in coil heat and vape quality going from 4.0 volts down to 3.4 volts.

And here is my question to you folks .... I guess you folks find this variation acceptable since you use mech mods, but has it become at all, bothersome to you?

I guess we get spoiled with VW mods that has the ability to keep everything constant.

Thanks,
    Ron
    I used to think that too, but I run all mech squonkers all the time for me these days. I can get through a 600 mile drive on one battery, no problem and it will still be at 3.7V or thereabouts when I pull it. Don't worry about watts. Build so the vape is a bit on the warm side with a freshly charged battery, which doesn't last very long. That way it will be just right in the relatively long-lasting flat part of the discharge curve.

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 26, 2013
    God's Country

Clean smooth delivery of power rather than a choppy PWM signal from a chip trying to imitate it.
    Its noticeable.

Mechs can't do Temperature Control can they? That to me would be a limitation.....

I think you are missing the whole point of using a mech in the first place.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA
    Clean smooth delivery of power rather than a choppy PWM signal from a chip trying to imitate it.
    Its noticeable.
    No question that on regulated mods that use a low-frequency PWM output, it is noticeable, and in fact, disagreeable. However, most modern regulated mods don't work that way; their output is close enough to true DC that this simply isn't a factor. And the a mech mod definitely doesn't produce a sine wave. ;)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread