The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Aga-T wick length and coil wraps?

Discussion in 'Rebuildable Atomizer Systems' started by Azphat12, Dec 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Azphat12

Azphat12 Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Have my Aga-t setup with 32awg Kanthal A-1 and 500 SS mesh.

It is working ok if I use about 4/5 wraps... If I try for 6 or 7 it will usually have a hot spot....the top coil almost always.
    I cannot seem to get rid of it....I will pulse it with 3v and slowly try to poke and prod....but the darn top coil never seems to work
    I slowly up the voltage as I work the hotspot out...but then it comes back, lol
    I use the drill bit method.... I drop the bit down...and hook the ground wire counter clockwise. and the positive clockwise.

Any ideas? Is there some trick I can do with the top/bottom coils to work right?
    Also....is there any advantage to having more wraps as far as vapor / th / or flavor.

I rolled my wick with 60mm.... tight rolled 500 ss mesh.
    It hugs the wick hole nicely. Is that a good size? Should I try for more.....or maybe less? It seems to be doing ok..

Im finally comfortable, and have this thing working decently. I just feel that it could be better after looking at some others videos.

On a side note....most of my coils lately are right around 2.1 to 2.3 ohms. I have been vaping them at 9 to 10 watts.
    Im using 50/50 diy menthol 24mg.

Could it be my juice maybe? Perhaps lower the mg, so I can up the watts or something?
    If I go up to 11 or 12 watts....its pretty harsh vape.

Im using this on a Vamo with aw imr 18650 if that makes a difference.

2. Rule62

Rule62 Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Oct 28, 2011
    Melbourne, Florida
    With the AGA-T, the location of the ground screw, in relation to the wick, is the opposite of the DiD clones. For this reason, when I wrap a coil on the AGA-T, I wrap it counterclockwise around the drill bit. When you connect the ground lead, I connect it clockwise, under the screw. But, when I connect the positive, I also connect it clockwise around the top post. This keeps the top coil lead in contact with the wick a little longer, than connecting it counterclockwise at the top.

3. gdeal

gdeal Moved On ECF Veteran

Aug 4, 2012
    ( -_-) Ω~
    One additional thought...You can also try to use two stainless steel washers on the positive pole to minimize the gap to the wick. :2c:

4. Sovran

Sovran Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Nov 4, 2012
    State side
    I just received mine, couple things I have done is use one of the fill holes as ground so it is closer to the wick and add the extra nut to the positive post so I have a little extra height to wrap with 28. I plan on adding the washers as gdeal suggests as soon as I can find some that tiny.

5. badinfluence357

badinfluence357 Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 17, 2012
    NYC
    this is a set up that works...helps eliminate hot wires or shorts...just use a DiD ceramic cup in the grommet...... View attachment 160626

Sent from my SCH-R910 using Tapatalk 2

6. Azphat12

7. Michael James

Michael James Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 28, 2012
    Montgomery, AL

8. Aurora-Oblivion

Aurora-Oblivion Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Nov 18, 2012
    Isle of the Wizards
    +100 for the above Q!

Thanks!

9. killnine

killnine Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 26, 2009
    Mississippi, US
    What he said. Your wick sounds fine, but perhaps try another one by oxidizing it first before rolling if you didn't already. Also, make sure you are folding in the outer edge, and before doing all that, carefully trimming the edges as well. This just helps reduce the number of stray frayed mesh pieces. I think what helps the most is what Rule62 mentioned, about getting the most contact to the wick in the very top leg where your hot spot is happening. Wrapping counter clockwise on the positive post helps. Pull it into the positive post strong enough that it pulls the wick over towards the post a little, but not too close or too terribly tight. I'm still fighting the same issue periodically, but when I oxidize before wrapping, it seems to help. Unfortunately, one it's all together, and you get new shorts, the more you pick at it the more you are probably causing new shorts.

10. vapdivrr

vapdivrr ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 8, 2012
    sarasota,fl
    most of the time i get a hotspot on top coil, the top wrap is to tight. just finished a wick for my aga-t. started out with the mesh 4-1/2 in x 1-1/2 in.

11. vapdivrr

Jul 8, 2012
    sarasota,fl
    that 500 mesh, you say it is a tight rolled wick at 60 cm isnt that like 2-1/2 in, to me thats not that tight. like i said from the start my mesh is double that lenght, i do find it wicks alot better with a longer lenght. any way thread is wick lenght & coil wraps. 4-1/2 in x 1-1/2 wick/ 28g 4/5 wrap.

12. Azphat12

So your using a length of 4.5 inches? ... that seems really long.
    That fits in a non drilled Aga-T wick hole? Im using the standard size hole for the wick.

13. vapdivrr

Jul 8, 2012
    sarasota,fl
    yes, i have a regular aga-t. i use 500 mesh. i measure all my mesh first at 1 1/2 in lenght , thats the same as my DID lenght as well. that usaully is perfect for the lenght from the bottom of the tank to the top nuts. for width i pre-cut to 4 1/2 inches and roll really tight. no center hole. 4 1/2 works great in the DID also. for the aga-t, next time i think i will reduce it to 4 1/4. 4 1/2in for the aga-t is maybe a smidgon to wide, but i was still able to get it in. but maybe it is just a little to tight into the hole. i think 4 1/4 in would be perfect. i definately find that it wicks better than any smaller widths that i previously had tried.

14. vapdivrr

Jul 8, 2012
    sarasota,fl
    now looking at the configuration on the aga-t, there is another hole opposite my wick hole. i am sure this is a fill hole, but could probably be used as another wick hole. i do not use this one. i use the wick hole that is a tiny bit farther away from center post. the one that i use has a little bigger diameter than the other one

15. Azphat12

I use the non threaded hole. It fits a bit just bigger than 7/64ths.
    I also have a 2nd aga-t that I yanked out the silica wick post and now it has dual wick/grounds on each side.
    Just have not had a good drill bit...I want to bore out both holes a little bigger, and then make a new hole in the back as a fill hole.
    Going to try dual wicks in that one...hopefully soon, lol.

16. vapdivrr

Jul 8, 2012
    sarasota,fl
    yes the non threaded one. let us know how the dual wick works when you vape it. interested in the comparisons

17. xbassman

xbassman Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 1, 2012
    Tulsa, OK. USA
    If this helps....

I just did my second coil for my AGA-T.
    First one was a 3/4 wrap of 32 kanthal @ around 1.9 ohms.
    The second was a 4/5 wrap of 30 kanthal @ around 1.2 ohms.

Right now I'm using 500 mesh that I oxidized once, rolled then oxidized until I wasn't getting readings on my meter.
    I wrapped the coil as Rule62 suggested.
    Didn't use a bit or anything, just warped the wick, straightened the coil a bit and I was good.

I gotta say it's hitting like a dream!
    Never even had a hot spot.

That said....
    My first coil was a whole different story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. badinfluence357

Jun 17, 2012
    NYC

19. badinfluence357

Jun 17, 2012
    NYC
    Use a twisted coil 32awg 5 coil wraps, its possible to hit at .7 to .9 ohms with that coil wrap on a mechanical mod of course. Get back to me and tell me how intense the hit is.....lol If you get a hotspot on top, just lossen the top nut a lil and put a few drops of juice directly on the coil, like 3 drops will do.

Sent from my SCH-R910 using Tapatalk 2

20. Aurora-Oblivion

Aurora-Oblivion Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Nov 18, 2012
    Isle of the Wizards
    Thank you for stopping back to reply!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.