Status
Not open for further replies.

Phone Guy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2013
Arlington, Texas - USA
My first genesis rebuildable. Picked up an AGA T2 from a local shop for $25... which I thought was a good price. I'm using an evic apv mod btw.

Ok so I watched a couple videos, took some ss mesh rolled it up, fairly tight, torched the upper part where the coils would be wrapped, dipped in water and repeated 3 or 4 times, got the top real black.

Used some kanthal ribbon wire (.4mm x .1mm), got 5 wraps at about 2.5 ohms... evened out the hot spots, got them all to glow red at the same time as I pulsed the fire button on my evic. This of course was on dry ss mesh.

Filled it with my juice (70pg/30vg)... aligned the air hole with the wick, gave the evic a tilt with the wick on the bottom, fire and presto nice vapor and excellent taste. Taste better in the T2 than in my pro tank 2 or evods for sure...much stronger flavor I think?

Anyway, seems like the wick isn't soaking up the juice as quickly as I'd like. I chain vape and that seems to be pretty hard with this setup. And a dry hit taste like a mouth full of metal.

Seems like ss mesh is the wick of choice for genesis atomizer's?
Is the tilt necessary? Or have I done something wrong?
Since I want to chain vape, would I be better with a silica wick? Or ekowool? Or put the ss mesh inside the hollow ekowool?

A couple notes, I have both silica and ekowool..both in 3mm, as well as 32 gauge and 28 gauge kanthal.

Any advice or links to proper technique would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

JayTater

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 10, 2013
tampa fl
Sometimes it takes a little bit to season the SS. What size mesh, 70/30 should be wicking well on 400 or 500.. Could be a combination of a couple issues. Also, you can try rolling your mesh with a strand or two of silica inside the mesh. Heavily oxidized ss will not wick very well, and if your coil is wrapped too tight, it will choke off the top end of your wick.

Last edited:

metamorpheus

ECF Veteran
Jul 25, 2013
AZ
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...r-systems/483976-genesis-wick-holy-grail.html

After much experimenting I concluded mesh wasn't worth the time or effort. Try some torched 2mm 7x7 stainless steel wire rope with the top of it above the deck covered in a piece of kiln treated XC 116 ceramic fiber wick. Fill the tank, prime your ceramic with some juice to get things going, and happy vaping. I vape this setup at around .7 ohms on a mech mod, if it can keep up for me, then at 2.5 ohms it would be no problem. I suggest getting 30Ga and dropping it to a 1.5-1.8 ohms setup for your regulated device and bore out a 1/16 " air hole if you want more vapor production.

The problem with using silica inside or outside of your mesh wick is that the mesh retains heat and will eventually burn the silica. Silica doesn't fare well with vertical wicking. Ceramic on the other hand as a sheath on the outside insulates it and doesn't dry burn. It gives a really nice flavor over mesh as well.

Last edited:

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
Sounds like the wick is too tight and/or with too much mesh.

the real trick with using mesh at first is it will take a couple tries to find the correct amount of mesh and how tightly you roll the wicks for the device you are using. i have yet to just roll a wick and drop it in without some issues, and every geni i have requires a slightly different wick build.

I can assure you once you find the proper build chain vaping will slow down as the performance of a geni when working properly will make your head spin from the efficient nic delivery.

usually tilting is only a problem on high wattage mechanical builds where the coil is so hot the wick cannot keep up.

Im most cases a dense tight wick will actually slow down the wicking as the juice cannot saturate the layers then move up fast enough. and the problem can get worse with higher VG or lower mesh counts.

you can always try to roll a slightly less dense wick, leaving a small channel up the center, I use a paperclip to check if the clip can slide in without fighting im good to go. then another trick that helps is cutting the bottom of the wick at an angle to make sure juice can get to all layers with no problems.

It

Last edited:

savagemann

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 21, 2013
California East Bay
Just yesterday I rolled up a 500 mesh wick around a piece of 1mm silica.
It is by far the best wicking setup I have tried.
I've done wicks with every combination of loose, tight, hole down the center, angle cut on the bottom, light and heavy oxidization, and the 1mm silica core is finally doing what I need.
It wicks so good for me that it will flood a bit if I tilt too hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread