Aging and shelf life

Status
Not open for further replies.

thaitee

ECF Veteran
Feb 5, 2010
AZ
I have some AC I purchased a few months ago. Brand new still on the shelf. It has gotten darker as well. I also have 3/4 bottle of menthol tobacco and bananas foster that seemed to have gotten a bit darker.
Do these go bad? They have been in the cabinet, away from heat. I just purchased 4 more bottles of liquid from Geoff, and no way will I go through it all in a few months. I am just wondering what the shelf life is of e liquid. It may not spoil, but I wonder if the flavor gets stronger or weaker as it sits. Thanks.

Mr. Tasty Vapor

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
The darkening is simply exposure to oxygen. It'll happen. Some flavors will promote it quicker than others. The dairy and caramel will draw oxygen into the nicotine.

Since we don't load up our liquids with tons of preservatives then additional additives to cover the flavor of the preservatives, you get the flavor of what we do ONLY. But, this lessens the longevity of your liquids.

Where the Chinese stuff will sit on a shelf for a good year, ours is more like 6-8 months under optimal storage (around 60 degrees and free of sunlight).

Ours won't last as long as the Chinese stuff, but you don't have to worry about all the extra crap that you switched to electronic cigarettes to avoid anyway.

Poeia

Bird Brain
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2009
NYC
6-8 months? 8-o

I'm definitely done ordering for a while. I still have a ton of the flavors I ordered in February to go through plus everything that came the other day. (Two of the 3 flavors I bought in March are disappearing nicely.)

ETA: I think the obvious solution is for us all to invest in wine coolers for our liquid. To do it right, of course, we should opt for the Sub-Zero ones -- they start at something over $2,000.

Last edited:
Does anyone have a definitive answer to how long nicotine remains active for? Not talking mixed with flavors.

I have a practical answer considering our general use, rather than a theoretical answer. Pure nicotine evidently will keep for years under the right conditions. However, without being associated with a lab, I think the highest concentrations we can get are 100mg/ml in either PG or VG.

That means that we are limited by the shelf-life of the carrier. Dow Chemical's Data Sheet states that:
PG USP/EP has a shelf life of two years when stored below 40°C (104°F) in closed containers away from sources of UV light.​

The Tech Data Sheet can be found here: Propylene Glycol USP/EP (PG USP/EP) Go all the way to the bottom of the page and you will see Technical Data Sheets in a number of languages.

Note that where the freezing point is stated, PG "supercools", and has a pour point of -71 degrees F, so it can be stored in the freezer with no problem. Another member has tested PG for expansion in the freezer and experienced none, so reducing the air space in a bottle to store in the freezer shouldn't be a problem.

Anyway, the most direct answer is that you can expect a two-year shelf life from unflavored nic in PG without taking any special precautions at all. The general opinion is that with pains taken to store it properly at a very low temperature, that could be doubled, if not more. Your best bet is to do some searches and form your own opinion. There's a lot of good info on this scattered around the forums.

Once flavorings are added, all bets are off, and I would follow Geoff's advice there...

Last edited:

Nicotine

ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2009
China
Freezer is a BIIIIIIG No-No! Great way to ruin liquids quick, IMO.

As for the other questions. QUITE valid and I'll have to do more research on these. And I think in the long run, it's worth knowing and conveying.

I am still going to experiment with freezing, just in case of a total ban, then I can hoard. Out with the peas and corn, in with the Juice. lol

cataine

ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2010
VA
6-8 months? 8-o

I'm definitely done ordering for a while. I still have a ton of the flavors I ordered in February to go through plus everything that came the other day. (Two of the 3 flavors I bought in March are disappearing nicely.)

ETA: I think the obvious solution is for us all to invest in wine coolers for our liquid. To do it right, of course, we should opt for the Sub-Zero ones -- they start at something over $2,000.
___

I had to read this twice...I was thinking of very different wine coolers and got totally confused lol

guava

ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2010
ca
:thumbs:Just my 2 cents.......I take my juice and put them in quart canning jars and vacuum seal them with a home vacuum sealer.The kind you seal food with.:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs: They are not exposed to ANY air and will keep for a LOOOOOOONG time.

That sounds like a GREAT idea! Or at least food for thought/expansion. One of my friends has one of those food-sealing machines where he can adjust it to the size of the portion/whatever, then it's sealed in plastic that is cut to fit. Your post made me think of trying this other method in order to make smaller packets.

Very good concept you came up with, maybe others can expound on that and we can all find a way to truly preserve our "stashes." :thumbs:

ndfourleafclover

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 10, 2009
Indianapolis, IN
I am still going to experiment with freezing, just in case of a total ban, then I can hoard. Out with the peas and corn, in with the Juice. lol

Not the corn....the peas can go but save the corn. Im sure you have some frozen dinners that have been sitting in the freezer for like two years (I know I do) that you would perfer to get rid of before you toss the corn.

Quick1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 11, 2010
USA
errr, ummm, everybody is assuming cooler/colder == longer shelf life... Any scientific reason behind this? This ain't red meat we're dealing with. Not sure if any of it is organic or how much (I guess VG would be organic). Vacuum sealing would be a great idea providing that it's oxidizing like Geoff implied. The idea would be to seal it in a container with as little oxygen as possible inside. Probably making sure your bottles are completely full and then using one of those plastic wrap vacuum sealers might do the best job. I'm guessing that liquid going "bad" has a lot more to do with chemical reactions/substances breaking down than it has to do with biological things like bacteria.

stevej2k

ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2010
Virginia
I doubt anyone has done any studies as the whole e-cig thing is kind of "underground". You raise a valid point. With food, the problem is bacteria, but even without that, frozen food looses taste over time. It isn't going to hurt you, but it might not have much taste or nutritional value. My 2 cents. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread