Ahhhhhh....Heaven in a Cloud of Vapor

Status
Not open for further replies.

WomanOfHeart

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2010
Colorado
I've had some big time cravings for a cigarette lately, so I decided to give 5 and 6V vaping another go. I didn't really like it the last time I tried it, but I figured WTH and ordered some IKV HV 801 and 901 atties.

Now, I still like my IKV LR 801 atties, but these? These are a bit of heaven and my cravings are gone! This is wonderful and I'm surprised this time around, given my rather unpleasant HV experience the last time. These have such a smooth draw and only a little more TH, which suits me fine.

The next vaping dilemma is should I go VV, get a Reo or a GLV? (This is really more of a rhetorical question, but feel free to throw out some opinions anyway!)

Thanks, Isaac! You're my hero!

Vaporologist

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 26, 2010
Epic Journey
Hey there WOH,

I'm sure you will get lots of opinions from many different people. My advice is simple: VV all the way! It will enable you to find your sweet spot with any atty/carto. I'm a huge ProVari fan. It looks really good, way better in person than in any pics I've seen, it's very reliable and super simple to use. Just my :2c:

Chornbro

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2011
VA/DC/MD Area
Im with you... I'm stuck at 6v! It's wonderful to have found my batteries/atty of choice, but it sucks having all this 3.7v/LR stuff laying around...

I had the same dilemma you're having... I've decided to get a Reo Grand because it uses the AW lifepo4 3.2v batteries (that I love)... and basically eliminates dripping. Although it can still be used to drip...

5cardstud

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2010
Wash
Well I have a Buzz and an Infinity and soon the Pro version of both and I couldn't go back to fixed voltage because it's so confining. With Variable you have them all rolled up into one. You don't have to adjust it if you don't want to. Just put it at 5volt or 6volt and leave it there. But the one thing that does make a difference is the Ikenvape cartomizers and attys. I don't care what a person uses fixed or variable but the perfection comes from the Ikenvape atty or carto thats attached. For me it's the Fusion, V2 510 Gold, or the Mega 808. Oh and the Platinums and the......... Well I think you see. He has so many great ones it gets hard to choose. TJMO

5cardstud

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2010
Wash
I'm already a huge fan of the LR Mega 808 and 510 cartos! Thanks for the suggestions, guys! I really appreciate it! I have been leaning a bit towards VV. I just need the money!

You won't be sorry. I gave away most of my fixed Voltage PVs because they just collected dust after I got a Variable. There are some like the Caliber that I would use and I do have some very small 5volt fixed that get used now and then.

loft

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 31, 2011
CT
I've had some big time cravings for a cigarette lately, so I decided to give 5 and 6V vaping another go. I didn't really like it the last time I tried it, but I figured WTH and ordered some IKV HV 801 and 901 atties.

Now, I still like my IKV LR 801 atties, but these? These are a bit of heaven and my cravings are gone! This is wonderful and I'm surprised this time around, given my rather unpleasant HV experience the last time. These have such a smooth draw and only a little more TH, which suits me fine.

The next vaping dilemma is should I go VV, get a Reo or a GLV? (This is really more of a rhetorical question, but feel free to throw out some opinions anyway!)

Thanks, Isaac! You're my hero!

Well, GLV3 is a feeder mod... and the one after GLV3 is supposed to (rumor) be VV... so I would hold off if you can.

Switched

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Dartmouth, NS Canada
IMHO the only VV mod out there at the moment that is worth its salt is the Darwin, if you are looking for sweet spot control. The Provari has to come in second place. Many will argue these observations, but there is only one VVPV out there that will provide a continuous vape in a preset range, regardless of which atty is placed on the device.

If your vaping bliss is 7 watts, then dial in 7 watts, not X volt in hope of achieving 7 watts. How many folks have actually tested their Provaris under load, using a test harness? Setting the voltage is nice, but getting the precise voltage under load not so easily achieved.

OTOH folks say, well if it is not satisfying just bump the voltage up, which is true and hence no need for a test harness. In my particular case I know what I like and that is 7-8 watts with the odd excursions into 9-10 (which I haven't req'd in a long time). I just like the functionality of being able to set my sweet spot and achieve it with any atty, because the controlled variable is wattage whilst the manipulated variable is the voltage to achieve the set point which in this case is watts. Sorry for the Control Theory mumbo jumbo.

I do not own either, but I do have a VV device with switching regulator, which I prefer over a linear regulator which are becoming things of the past. It is set at 4.5V with a loaded output of 4.2/.3V.

Wharf Rat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2010
Fresno, Ca
www.gratefulvaper.com
Wow I think this is the first time I have something to say in contrast to Switched. I agree in principle with what you've said and I think the Darwin is an amazing device (I don't have one). But if I never had a mutli-meter I would still know where my sweet spot is and for me it changes through the day. With the Fusion's I hang out around 4.5v but travel between 4.3 to 4.8v within the day. I need a MM to know what voltage and Ω's I'm at, but if I turn the wheel a bit I find my sweet spot easily. The only way I know what wattage I'm at is to pull up an Ohm calculator.

Vaporologist

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 26, 2010
Epic Journey
IMHO the only VV mod out there at the moment that is worth its salt is the Darwin, if you are looking for sweet spot control. The Provari has to come in second place. Many will argue these observations, but there is only one VVPV out there that will provide a continuous vape in a preset range, regardless of which atty is placed on the device.

If your vaping bliss is 7 watts, then dial in 7 watts, not X volt in hope of achieving 7 watts. How many folks have actually tested their Provaris under load, using a test harness? Setting the voltage is nice, but getting the precise voltage under load not so easily achieved.

OTOH folks say, well if it is not satisfying just bump the voltage up, which is true and hence no need for a test harness. In my particular case I know what I like and that is 7-8 watts with the odd excursions into 9-10 (which I haven't req'd in a long time). I just like the functionality of being able to set my sweet spot and achieve it with any atty, because the controlled variable is wattage whilst the manipulated variable is the voltage to achieve the set point which in this case is watts. Sorry for the Control Theory mumbo jumbo.

I do not own either, but I do have a VV device with switching regulator, which I prefer over a linear regulator which are becoming things of the past. It is set at 4.5V with a loaded output of 4.2/.3V.

I hear you Switched. Setting the right wattage and letting the device do the work is awesome. I was in love with the concept of the Darwin and followed its development in the initial thread from VB with excitement. Unfortunately, the day came when pics of the device were released... Aesthetics play a big roll in my purchasing decision making and I had to pass on this one without much thought.

And I agree with what Wharf Rat said. I finally feel like I don't need a DMM to help figure out wattage and don't really care about figuring out wattage anymore. If it's not enough, I just turn it up 0.2V and keep on adjusting until it's perfect for my current mood. One day I may be vaping at 8W while another day I may be at 11W because that what feels right then. I don't believe that any current VV device is perfect in every aspect but I chose the ProVari because I feel like it's the best all-around VV device for me. It's very pleasing to the eye and it performs the way it was designed to. Oh, and I'm not trying to step on anyone's toes and start a VV PV War, lol, just sharing my thoughts...

Switched

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Dartmouth, NS Canada
Wow I think this is the first time I have something to say in contrast to Switched. I agree in principle with what you've said and I think the Darwin is an amazing device (I don't have one). But if I never had a mutli-meter I would still know where my sweet spot is and for me it changes through the day. With the Fusion's I hang out around 4.5v but travel between 4.3 to 4.8v within the day. I need a MM to know what voltage and Ω's I'm at, but if I turn the wheel a bit I find my sweet spot easily. The only way I know what wattage I'm at is to pull up an Ohm calculator.
What took you so long LOL

The second quote is where we find most people these days, which in turn is very easily achieved with different Ohmed atomizers. For example some folks prefer LRs at 3.7V which to me are too harsh, but a properly matched atty at 5V = bliss. The latter comparison is like red lining an engine, it gets you there but LR vaping doesn't equal 5V vaping, and 5V vaping on a switching regulator a whole different kettle of fish in itself.

We each find bliss where it is at, at the end of the day it doesn't really matter how we achieve it.

I hear you Switched. Setting the right wattage and letting the device do the work is awesome. I was in love with the concept of the Darwin and followed its development in the initial thread from VB with excitement. Unfortunately, the day came when pics of the device were released... Aesthetics play a big roll in my purchasing decision making and I had to pass on this one without much thought.

And I agree with what Wharf Rat said. I finally feel like I don't need a DMM to help figure out wattage and don't really care about figuring out wattage anymore. If it's not enough, I just turn it up 0.2V and keep on adjusting until it's perfect for my current mood. One day I may be vaping at 8W while another day I may be at 11W because that what feels right then. I don't believe that any current VV device is perfect in every aspect but I chose the ProVari because I feel like it's the best all-around VV device for me. It's very pleasing to the eye and it performs the way it was designed to. Oh, and I'm not trying to step on anyone's toes and start a VV PV War, lol, just sharing my thoughts...
No vaping war intended here neither, just sharing my thoughts as well. Wrt aesthetics, man I hear you. Aesthetics of the Darwin suck big time. They could have easily placed them into a tube with replaceable batteries. OTOH folks were getting tired of tube mods :rolleyes:

Vaporologist

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 26, 2010
Epic Journey
I rather like the way the Darwin looks, but I'm kinda weird like that. I feel in love with the look of the Chameleon because it's steampunky and I think that same thing of the Darwin.

That's it!!! I give up! You are on your own now... :)

Seriously, if you actually like the way it looks, that would be the one to get for sure.

Edit: If you like "interesting" looking PVs, you could save your pennies and wait for the Eclypse EQ. If it ever actually becomes available, it is supposed to be the cats meow.

Last edited:

greymattergirl

ECF Veteran
Jan 4, 2011
Lake Placid, Florida
Before I got my ProVari I looked at the Darwin, and yes it's looks put me off quite a bit. After getting the ProVari my brother got a Darwin, and I have to say after using it for a bit, you really dont seem to mind the looks anymore. As I told my brother..The ProVari got the looks, and the Darwin got the brains..you love it because of its "great personality." Love my ProVari, but will deff be getting a Darwin in the future!

daniel5383

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 19, 2010
Florida
i didnt like the darwins looks at first but after using it for a while, i love them! lol...i get all kinds of looks and what not...got a bunch of people to try vaping on my darwins looks alone...with some pineapple orange banana from tasty vapor and a fusion carto from ikv on the darwin, everyone that has tried has loved it! i like the fact i dont have change batteries constantly...i see my mom charging her batts for her provari constantly and i just smile as i am on day 3 of my darwin not being charged and still seeing battery life left :) the provari is amazing itself, but for MY setup, the darwin is the best...my stepdad calls my darwin a crack pipe, ive had people call it a breathalyzer lol...its so funny to watch peoples reactions to the darwins looks

Katdarling

I'm still here on ECF... sort of. ;)
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2011
Utopia
I definitely understand the draw to the shiny tube mods, being a constantly blinged out person myself. Having said that however, I absolutely am in love with my Darwin, and would not care if it resembled the back end of a chicken. For me it's about the vape. I'll save the "good looks" for my Mr. T-esque adornment of rhinestone jewelry. ;)

Oh and a couple of rhinestones on the Darwin could be just cool enuf.:2cool:

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread